ISO Carrot Cake shortcut

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crispycritter

Assistant Cook
:D I'd like to know if there is a recipe for carrot cake that takes a little shortcut? Is there a way to just use a regular cake mix like yellow or white, and put some shredded carrots and spices in it. If there is a good way, what are the measurements? Mostly interested in the carrot quantity because they've got to add some liquid to a mix when they bake right????

Thanks! :)

If you want to use a mix, they do sell carrot cake mixes. I'm sure you could add ingredients to it, as you mentioned.

:) Barbara

Thanks Barbara...I know, but I've got LOTS of carrots in my garden and I wanted to try something that'll give me the fresh taste of the carrots but the convience of a boxed mix. Besides I'm a cheapo and I wanted to use what I've got around here. Thanks though! :)

I'd probably go with the yellow cake mix then. As far as the amount of carrots, etc. maybe you could get some ideas from a recipe for carrot cake. Hopefully someone else will be able to help.

:) Barbara

Carrot Pudding Cake

1 (18.25-ounce) package yellow cake mix
1 (3.5-ounce) packageinstant vanilla pudding mix
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
4 large eggs
1/3 cup water
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3 cups grated carrots
1/2 cup chopped raisins
1/2 cup chopped pecans
3 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
2 cups powdered sugar
1 tablespoon grated orange peel
Preheat oven to 350*F.
In a medium bowl, combine yellow cake mix, instant vanilla pudding mix, salt, cinnamon, eggs, water, and cooking oil; beat for 2 minutes at medium speed with an electric mixer. Stir in grated carrots, chopped raisins, and chopped pecans.
Pour into 3 greased and floured 9-inch round cake pans. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the center is set. Cool in the pans for 10 minutes, remove, and cool completely.
Meanwhile, in a bowl combine softened butter with softened cream cheese; beat until light and fluffy. Add powdered sugar and grated orange peel; beat until smooth. Spread between the cake layers and on the top and sides.
Makes 12 servings.

Carrot Cake
1 (18 1/2 ounce) box yellow cake mix
2 cups carrots, grated
8 ounces crushed pineapple, undrained
1/3 cup water
3 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup nuts, finely chopped
2 teaspoons cinnamon

Combine all ingredients. Beat on low speed of mixer until moistened. Beat at medium speed for 2 minutes. Pour batter into a greased 9 x 13-inch pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 35 to 40 minutes.

Cool in pan. Frost with cream cheese icing and garnish with chopped nuts

EASY CARROT CAKE

1-2 layer yellow cake mix
1 1/4 c. Miracle Whip salad dressing
4 eggs
1/4 c. cold water
2 tsp. cinnamon
2 c. finely shredded carrots
1/2 c. chopped walnuts
1 (16 oz.) can ready to spread vanilla frosting

Combine cake mix, salad dressing, eggs, water and cinnamon, mixing at medium speed with electric mixer until well blended. Stir in carrots and walnuts. Pour into greased 9 x 13 inch pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes or until wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool. Spread with frosting.

CARROT - PINEAPPLE PUDDING CAKE

1 pkg. (2 layer size) yellow cake mix
1 pkg. (4 serving size) vanilla instant pudding & pie filling
4 lg. eggs
1/4 c. oil
3 c. grated carrots
1 can (8 oz.) crushed pineapple in juice, drained
1/2 c. chopped nuts, optional
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1/3 c. flour
Combine cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, oil, carrots, pineapple, nuts, cinnamon, salt and flour in a large mixing bowl. Blend; then beat at medium speed of electric mixer for 4 minutes.

Pour into greased and floured 10 inch fluted tube pan. Bake at 375 degrees for 50-55 minutes or until cake tester inserted in center comes out clean and begins to pull away from sides of pan. Do not underbake. Cool in pan for 15 minutes then remove from pan and finish cooling on rack. Frost with Cream Cheese Frosting.

HOLIDAY CARROT CAKE

1 box yellow or butter cake mix
4 eggs
1 tsp. each - cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves
1 c. egg nog
1/2 c. walnuts and 1/2 c. olive oil
1/2 c. pecans
1 1/2 c. carrot salad with raisins
1/4 c. rum or 1 tsp. rum flavoring
Mix first 4 ingredients together. Fold in the other until mixed. Bake in a well-greased and floured bundt pan at 325 degrees for 50-60 minutes or until cake tests done. Cool immediately in refrigerator, well wrapped.

oooh a million years ago when I was in grade-school and in 4H, I made a carrot cake to take to the State Fair. It called for a couple big jars of baby-food carrots. I wouldn't be surprised if my Mom doesn't still have that recipe in her collection, I'll check next time I'm over there. It'd be super simple to cook the carrots until they're soft and smush 'em up, baby-food style.

;)
Z

Back
Top Bottom