"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 05-29-2006, 11:11 AM   #11
Senior Cook

Hi Samenderya ~ Glad you let us know that you are in Pakistan. Here are two alternatives for crusts. (Both these crusts are baked a few minutes before filling and cooking again. They work out fine for me.)

Nut Crust
2 1/2 cups finely ground nuts
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter, melted

Mix the nuts, cinnamon, and sugar together. Stir in the butter. Press mixture onto the bottom and/or up the sides of your baking dish (according to your recipe). Chill the crust for about 30 minutes. Bake in preheated 350F oven for 10-12 minutes. Do not over bake as nut crusts burn easily. Cool completely before filling. (This recipe will make enough crust to cover the bottom and sides of a 9-inch pie pan.)

Pat-in-the-Pan Crust
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 1/4 cups flour (white or whole wheat)
1/2 cup finely chopped nuts
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda

Mix the butter and brown sugar. Stir in remaining ingredients until crumbly. Press against bottom and/or sides ( according to recipe) of pan. Bake in a 350F oven for 10 minutes or just until set and very light brown. Cool and fill. (Makes enough crust for the bottom and sides of a 9-inch pan.)

Old 05-29-2006, 11:40 AM   #12
Senior Cook

Another idea ~ Search this site and the web for cheesecake recipes using cottage cheese and/or yogurt. This way you will have an alternative to cream cheese. Good Luck! Let us know how your cheesecake turns out!

Old 05-30-2006, 10:16 AM   #13
Assistant Cook

oh thank u guys soo much , i do get digestives, so will see that and the crust that aunty shelly told is so easy to make too
and thank u for the substitute :)
tom i have an interview for job after it i will get my supplies... and surely i will update u guys !
thanx a bunch
Old 06-15-2006, 12:06 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

Living in Greece I know that the ingrediants are hard to find... use an English digestive biscuit for the crust.

NOTHING works like creme cheese, but if you are stuck a good antotyri (flowercheese) will be ok. You will need to add an extra egg to firm it up a little bit, and maybe even strain it.
You could also try a marscapone. But NOTHING does the same as the creme cheese so be prepared.

Sour creme is not available here, but we have a thick strained yogurt that isn't readily available in USA. Use that in place of sour creme with a pat of butter added, the consistancy is about the same. Also there are good heavy creme recipes out there too.

Try to find a vanillia bean, we don't really have many extracts here in liquid form and the powder isn't as good--so if you have only powder--find a bean.

Let me know which ingrediants you have and I will send a recipe. Years ago in Greece I had to creat a cheesecake recipe for a big caterer here in Athens--so I have made about a thousand different kinds--with and without many ingrediants. I have my best ones--but I don't want to type out a recipe you can't use. Let me know the ingrediants.

Just note--the real trick is bake LOW AND SLOW. Very low temperature for a long time and stick a small egg cup of water in the oven to give some moisture. Never remove from a hot oven-- turn the oven off and let it cool to prevent cracking.
Also mix the sugar and creme cheese (all ingrediants at room temp) before adding the eggs one at a time, because once the eggs are added it is real hard to get out lumps. Mix the minimum amount as possible. Just enough to mix it without lumps. Don't scrape the bottom you'll just pull hunks of cheese off the bowl into your spingform.

I'll get a recipe to you soon.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:11 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

Andy--where are you in Mass? I lived in Boston for three years-miss it so much.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:14 PM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef

I'm in Chelmsford. It's next to Lowell, north and west of Boston.
Old 06-16-2006, 04:25 AM   #17
Assistant Cook

thank u guys, have told a shopkeeper to get me some of the things he said he will try , lets see what he can , i will let u know when he gets the things for me !
Old 06-22-2006, 10:45 AM   #18
Assistant Cook

Just wanted to thank Andy M. for the great cheesecake recipe. I made it last week and it was delicious. My husband couldn't say enough good things about it and has requested it again.

I don't have a food processer so the crust wasn't what it should have been but the cake part was perfect, it was rich and thick and very smooth.

Thanks again!
Old 06-22-2006, 11:05 AM   #19
Certified Pretend Chef

Thanks, Amy.
Old 07-15-2006, 09:38 PM   #20
Senior Cook

I love to be creative with the crust so I suggest you try Rice Krispies Treat with a 1/4 inch layer of semisweet chocolate atop that for the bottom crust. Make sure you add rum to the melting of the chocolate to get it fluid enough to pour and to add the Rice Krispies to the melted marshmallows instead of the other way around because the marshmallows will congeal as the pour out of the pan. That's not fun.

Tags
None