"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 05-27-2006, 08:45 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

ISO Cheese Cake Recipe

hi everyone,
i am looking for a good chees cake recipe, which is simple,..i cannot find many ingrediants very easily . most of the recipe i found invovled things i can never get !
so is there a simple and tried recipe?

Old 05-27-2006, 08:52 AM   #2
Senior Cook

I use the one on the back of the graham cracker crumb box

make sure ingredients are room temperature before you start tho.. I have never had any bad luck with this cheesecake, its perfect everytime :)

Our Best Cheesecake
Prep Time: 15 min
Total Time: 5 hrs 25 min
Makes: 16 servings

1-3/4 cups HONEY MAID Graham Cracker Crumbs
1/3 cup margarine or butter, melted
1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
3 pkg. (8 oz. each) PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese, softened
2 tsp. vanilla
3 eggs
1 Sour Cream
1 can (21 oz.) cherry pie filling

PREHEAT oven to 350°F if using a silver 8- or 9-inch springform pan (or to 325°F if using a dark nonstick 8- or 9-inch springform pan). Mix graham cracker crumbs, margarine and 1/4 cup of the sugar. Press firmly onto bottom and 2-1/2 inches up side of pan; set aside.
BEAT cream cheese, remaining 1 cup sugar and the vanilla in large bowl with electric mixer on high speed until well blended. Add eggs, 1 at a time, mixing on low speed after each addition just until blended. Add sour cream. Pour into crust.
BAKE 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes or until center is almost set. Turn off oven. Leaving door slightly ajar, leave cheesecake in oven 1 hour. Remove from oven; cool completely. Refrigerate 4 hours or overnight. Remove side of pan; top with pie filling. Store leftover cheesecake in refrigerator.

Old 05-27-2006, 01:38 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Hi ~ Here's an easy recipe also right off the back of the cream cheese package. Let us know how your cheese cake turns out.

Three Step Lemon Cheesecake Bars
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs (you may also use vanilla wafers, macaroons,or sugar cookies)
3 tablespoons butter, melted
2 pkgs. (8 oz. each) cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs

Preheat oven to 350F. Mix crumbs and butter and press firmly onto the bottom of a greased 8-inch square baking pan.
Beat the cream cheese, sugar, lemon peel and juice, and vanilla in a large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended.
Add eggs, one at a time, beating just until blended after each addition.
Pour over crust and bake 20-25 minutes or until center is almost set.
Cool and then refrigerate for 3 hours or overnight. Cut into 16 bars. Store leftover bars in refrigerator.
Old 05-27-2006, 01:46 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

This recipe is one used by a guy who made Nee York style cheesecakes for NYC restaurants and delis for over forty years. It's delicious!

Cheesecake

For the Crust:

2 1/3 C Graham Cracker Crumbs
1/2 C Unsalted Butter, melted
1/4 C Sugar

For the Filling:

2 Lb Cream Cheese, room temp.
1 1/2 C Sugar
1/4 C Flour
5 Eggs
16 Oz Sour Cream
1/4 C Milk
1 T Vanilla Extract

Make the Crust:
Position the oven rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 375° F.

Wrap the outside of a 10-inch-diameter springform pan with heavy-duty foil.

Combine all the ingredients in a food processor. Pulse just until the crumbs are moist.

Press the crumb mixture firmly onto the bottom and 2 inches up the sides of the prepared pan. Use a flat bottomed glass or measuring cup to press the crumbs into place.

Bake until the crust begins to brown, about 8 minutes. Transfer the pan to a cooling rack. Maintain oven temperature.

Make the Filling:
Using an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese and sugar in a large bowl until will blended then beat in the flour.

Add the eggs 1 at a time, beating just until combined. Beat in the sour cream, milk and vanilla. Pour the filling into the crust.

Place the springform pan in large roasting pan. Pour enough hot water into the roasting pan to come half way up the sides of pan.

Bake the cheesecake until just set in center and top is slightly puffed and golden brown, about 1 hour.

Turn off oven and keep the door closed. Leave the cake in the oven for 1 hour.

Remove springform pan from roasting pan and remove the foil. Cool it on a cooling rack for a couple of hours. Refrigerate at least 6 hours. Cover and refrigerate overnight before removing from the pan.
To remove the cake from the pan, first run a thin bladed knife around the inside of the pan to separate the cake from the side of the pan. Remove the springform sides.

Place the cheesecake with the pan bottom on a burner and heat it for about 10 seconds. This will soften the butter in the crust so you can slide the cake off the pan bottom onto a serving plate. Use a long frosting spatula or knife blade to ease the transfer.

I usually serve it with a blueberry topping.
Old 05-27-2006, 03:19 PM   #5
Senior Cook

I have sound that using heavy cream instead of the sour cream the cheesecake has a better texture and sweeter taste.

Diane
Diane1415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 09:03 PM   #6
Head Chef

Well, Samendeyra, could you tell us what you can't get, so we can work on substitutes?

Andy and Auntshelly - I've got those 2 recipes copied!

Lee
Old 05-28-2006, 06:43 AM   #7
Master Chef

Samenderya - if you would go back and edit your user profile to show that you live in Karachi, Pakistan - it sure would make it easier for people to help you! We have members here from all around the world in here ... and without knowing where you live it really makes it had to figure out how to help you.

Like QSis asked - what ingredients are you having a problem finding in Pakistan?
Old 05-28-2006, 10:39 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

thank you michael i have updated it ,(i hope i did it rightly)
anyway here are the things i am having problem..
Graham Crakers Crums, now ofcourse they are not avaiable here , but in one recipe by auntieashely, she metions i can use vanilla wafers, or sugar cookies, are there any other substitutes that i can use too?
Second i have a question about cheese, well there arent' mnay varieties of cheese avaable, i think the only cheese very commonly available here are mozerella and cottage.
There are some cheese spreads from the compnay PUCK avaiable here .
but i think i can get cream cheese as well.
and one more thing :)
heavy cream or sour scream, which ones better !
Old 05-28-2006, 10:46 AM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

Just about any kind of cookie crumbs may be used in place of the graham crackers. I have used vanilla wafers in place of the graham crackers with success.

You can use either sour or heavy cream. Sour cream is the traditional ingredient and provides a "tang" to the cheesecake that heavy cream will not provide. If you're going to make cheese cake more than once, try making one each way and decide for yourelf.

Good luck with your ingredient search and baking. Keep us posted with your results.
Old 05-28-2006, 06:01 PM   #10
Executive Chef

I know that in some areas of India and Pakistani it is possible to get British biscuits - MacVitie's digestives are a good replacement for Graham crackers.

Tags
None