ISO Chocolate Cake recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MochaBean04

Senior Cook
does anyone have a really good chocolate cake recipe? I promiced one of my friends i would make a chocolate with chocolate recipe. lol if anyone has any great chocolate cake recipes please post :)

thanks in advance

missy

Here's a recipe that my family likes. Hope you like it.

Yum Yum Cake

Bring to boil:

1 Cup butter
1 Cup water
4 Heaping TBSP cocoa

Sift and add to above:

2 Cups flour
2 Cups sugar

Then add:

2 slightly beaten eggs
1/2 Cup buttermilk
1 tsp. soda
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. cinnamon

Bake for 20 minutes in an 11X16 well-greased and floured pan.

ICING

Melt: (BUT DO NOT COOK)

1 stick butter
4 TBSP cocoa (leveled off)
4 TBSP milk

Add:

1 Box powdered sugar, sifted (add a little at a time, you may not need the whole box, my mother uses about 3/4 of the box). Mix well.

Add:

1 Cup broken pecans (optional)
1 tsp. vanilla

Spread on cake while cake is hot.

Note on the icing:

My mother usually doubles the icing recipe because Dad loves to eat the icing plain. When I was last home and made the cake, she forgot to mention that she doesn't use all the sugar and by the time I had all the sugar in there it was almost impossible to stir. We ended up adding maybe another TBSP of milk and putting it back on the heat to make it more malleable to spread on the cake. It was almost the consistancy of fudge. They also don't like the nuts in the icing (I do tho'), so they leave those out when making the icing.

Enjoy.:chef:

This is one of my favorites. I've made it with and without the Chambord and love it either way!

2 1/2 cups cake flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 cups sugar
3 1/2 ounces semisweet or bittersweet dark chocolate, melted and cooled
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups cold water
Chambourd raspberry liqueur, for drizzling

Position an oven rack in the center of the oven and pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees F.

In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter and the sugar until light and fluffy. Add the cooled chocolate and vanilla and beat for 3 minutes to incorporate. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and beat for another 3 minutes. Gradually mix in the dry ingredients in 3 batches, alternating with the cold water. Beat for 1 minute after each addition to incorporate the ingredients. Mix until the batter is smooth.

Coat 2 (9-inch) round cake pans with non-stick cooking spray. Cut 2 circles of parchment paper to fit the pan bottoms and place them inside the pans; then spray the paper for added non-stick insurance. Pour batter into the prepared pans and smooth the surface with a spatula; the pans should be 2/3 full.

Bake for 30 to 35 minutes. Leave to cool for 40 minutes.

Turn the cakes out of the pans and remove the paper. Drizzle them with a few tablespoons of Chambourd.

This one of my favorite recipes from Hershey's.

Deep Dark Chocolate Cake

1 3/4 cups unsifted flour
2 cups sugar
¾ cups Hershey’s cocoa
1 ½ teaspoon baking soda
1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk
½ cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup boiling water

Combine dry ingredients. Add remaining ingredients, except boiling water, to dry ingredients; beat at medium speed for 2 minutes. Remove mixer. Stir in boiling water. Pour into two greased and floured 9” or three 8” layer pans or one 13x9-inch pan. Bake at 350º for 30 to 35 minutes for layers or 35 to 40 minutes for 13x9-inch pan or until cake tester comes out clean. Cool for ten minutes and then remove from pans. (Cake may be left in rectangular pan, if desired.) Frost with One-Bowl Buttercream Frosting. 8 to 10 servings.

One-Bowl Buttercream Frosting

6 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
2-2/3 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa or HERSHEY'S Dutch Processed Cocoa
1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Beat butter in medium bowl. Add powdered sugar and cocoa alternately with milk, beating to spreading consistency (additional milk may be needed). Stir in vanilla. About 2 cups frosting.

HIGH ALTITUDE DIRECTIONS (Cake):
-- Decrease sugar to 1-3/4 cups
-- Increase flour to 1-3/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons
-- Decrease baking powder to 1-1/4 teaspoons
-- Decrease baking soda to 1-1/4 teaspoons
-- Increase milk to 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons
-- Bake at 375°F, 30 to 35 minutes for both pan sizes

I've been making this cake for over 30 years. (Sounds like it took me 30 years to make it. LOL) I try others but this remains our favorite chocolate cake.

Best Chocolate Cake

2 cups all-purpose flour

1 tsp salt

1 tsp baking powder

2 tsp baking soda

3/4 cups unsweetened cocoa

2 cups sugar

1 cups vegetable oil

1 cup hot coffee

1 cup milk

2 eggs

1 tsp vanilla

Icing:

1 cup milk

5 tbs all-purpose flour

1/2 cup butter, softened

1/2 cup shortening

1 cup sugar

1 tsp vanilla

Sift together dry ingredients in a mixing bowl. Add oil, coffee and milk; mix at medium speed for 2 minutes. Add eggs and vanilla; beat 2 more minutes. (batter will be thin). Pour into two greased and floured 9x1 1/2-in pans (or 2 8-inch pans and six muffin tins). Bake at 325 for 25 to 30 minutes. Cool cakes 15 minutes before removing from pans. Cool on wire racks

Meanwhile for frosting, combine the milk and flour in a saucepan; cook stirring constantly, until very thick. Cover and refrigerate. In a mixing bowl, beat butter, shortening, sugar and vanilla until creamy. Add chilled milk/flour mixture and beat for 10 minutes. Frost cooled cake

these all sound awesome! im going to have to make one of each for them. lol thank you for th recipes, i was just going to make a chocolate boxed caked but these sound 100% better :) thanks again

melissa

Alix that link you posted reminded me of two other recipes I've made and we all liked, one is Choco Cherry Coconut Roll I've posted on this reply and the other is Emeril's Cassata Siciliana Canoli Cake which is not a chocolate cake but awesome and I"ll post it on the cake forum.
CHOCO COCONUT CAKE ROLL

FROM HERSHEY’S CHOCOLATE TREASURY

4 EGG WHITES, AT ROOM TEMPERATURE

1/2 CUP SUGAR

4 EGG YOLKS, AT ROOM TEMPERATURE

1/3 CUP SUGAR

1 TEASPOON VANILLA

1/2 CUP UNSIFTED ALL-PURPOSE FLOUR

1/3 CUP UNSWEETENED COCOA

1/2 TEASPOON BAKING POWDER

1/4 TEASPOON BAKING SODA

1/8 TEASPOON SALT

1/3 CUP WATER

CHERRY-COCONUT FILLING (BELOW)

CONFECTIONERS’ SUGAR

LINE 15-1/2 X 10-1/2 X 1-INCH JELLYROLL PAN WITH ALUMINM FOIL; GENEROUSLY GREASE FOIL. SET ASIDE. BEAT EGG WHITES IN LARGE MIXER BOWL UNTIL FOAMY; GRADUALLY ADD ½ CUP SUGAR AND BEAT UNTIL STIFF PEAKS FORM. SET ASIDE.

BEAT EGG YOLKS IN SMALL MIXER BOWL 3 MINUTES ON HIGH SPEED. GRADUALLY ADD 1/3 CUP SUGAR AND THE VANILLA; CONTINUE BEATING 2 ADDITIONAL MINUTES. COMBINE FLOUR, COCOA, BAKING POWDER, BAKING SODA AND SALT; ADD ALTERNATELY WITH WATER TO EGG YOLK MIXTURE ON LOW SPEED, BEATING JUST UNTIL BATTER IS SMOOTH. GRADUALLY FOLD CHOCOLATE MIXTURE INTO BEATEN EGG WHITES UNTIL MIXTURE IS WELL BLENDED.

SPREAD BATTER EVENLY IN PREPARED PAN. BAKE AT 375 F. FOR 12 TO 15 MINUTES OR UNTIL TOP SPRINGS BACK WHEN TOUCHED LIGHTLY. INVERT ONTO TOWEL SPRINKLED WITH CONFECTIONERS’ SUGAR; CAREFULLY PEEL OFF FOIL. IMMEDIATELY ROL CAKE AND TOWEL TOGETHER STARTING FROM NARROW END; PLACE ON WIRE RACK TO COOL COMPLETELY.

PREPARE CHERRY-COCONUT FILLING. CAREFULLY UNROLL CAKE; REMOVE TOWEL. SPREAD CAKE WITH FILLING; REROLL AND REFRIGERATE. SPRINKLE WITH CONFETIONERS’ SUGAR JUST BEFORE SERVING.

8 TO 10 SERVINGS.

CHERRY-COCONUT FILLING

1 CUP HEAVY OR WHIPPING CREAM

3 TABLESPOONS CONFECTIONERS’ SUGAR

1/3 CUP CHOPPED MARASCHINO CHERRIES, WELL DRAINED

1/2 CUP FLAKED COCONUT

BEAT CREAM UNTIL SLIGHTLY THICKENED. ADD CONECTIONERS’ SUGAR; BEAT UNTIL STIF. FOLD IN CHPPED CHERRIES AND COCONUT.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom