"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 09-17-2015, 10:54 AM   #1
Cook

ISO - Chocolate Orange Cake

Hi I had a breef stint cooking in a restaurant. They made a chocolate orange cake. What I seem to know is they remove the zest from oranges and add them to the main cake. They use a juice extractor and then sift out the remaining bits. The juice is somehow combined with gelatine to make it solidified. This is then put on top of the main cake. What happens next. melted chocolate and cream is used to cover the cake and those famous terry's (UK / Poland) chocolate egg slices are placed around the top.

I would love to replicate this. Are there any recipes like this or do I have to re-invent the wheel?

Old 09-17-2015, 12:21 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Hi, Desmond. I found a recipe for chocolate orange cake and the topping is chocolate ganache. I'm not sure about the gelatin part; maybe someone else will chime in about that.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/t...ange-cake.html

http://www.chowhound.com/recipes/bas...-ganache-28649

Old 09-17-2015, 12:24 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

What is the purpose of the gelatine? I've seen cakes with a syrup of citrus juice and confectioners sugar poured over the top that soaks in and adds moisture and flavor to the cake, but not gelatine.
Old 09-17-2015, 12:26 PM   #4
Cook

Yes thanks that is the top part but if you slice it in half you see a thin 1/4 inch yellow orange gelatine. I hope I will not be sued by them as the terries (company) chocolate slices of orange around the top might be patented?
Old 09-17-2015, 12:31 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Sued for what?
Old 09-17-2015, 07:14 PM   #6
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I'm betting the orange "gelatin" layer is actually Orange Marmalade.
Old 09-17-2015, 07:18 PM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I'm betting the orange "gelatin" layer is actually Orange Marmalade.
or orange curd.

I'm thinking an orange Boston cream pie, yellow cake filled with orange curd, topped with dark chocolate glaze and a piece of candied orange peel.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:05 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

The gelatin sounds like the old Poke Cake. You poked holes in the top and then poured the gelatin in them.
Old 09-18-2015, 07:37 AM   #9
Cook

No the recipie actualy has gelatine. I think that she added it to the juice she extracted from 4 oranges. and boiled it up. I think she would have pored it into a cake tin to 1/4 inch and let it set. She woud then place it on top of the cake.

She definatly used fresh squezed orange juice and the recipe called for gelatine.

For thouse of you who don't live in the UK. A chocolate company based in York made a chocolate orange. Chocolate flavoured with orange. 2 years ago they sold the recipie to poland and the recipie got changed. to see what they are and what she did by placing the segments around the top of the (now covered in chocolate) cake...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry%...ocolate_Orange

If anyone thinks it would be improved in anyway by using marmalade but this uses fresh squiesed orange. for the chocolate coating prior to putting the terrs orange slices, she heated up some crem and added chocolate buttons into it to melt. so it was a mixture of chocolate cram and maybe something else ???
Old 09-18-2015, 07:52 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmond View Post
... for the chocolate coating prior to putting the terrs orange slices, she heated up some crem and added chocolate buttons into it to melt. so it was a mixture of chocolate cram and maybe something else ???
It's ganache - I linked to a recipe above. It's just chocolate and cream, very easy to make.

Tags
cake, chocolate