ISO Classic White Frosting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cmontg34

Cook
Hi all,

I'm looking for a traditional white icing, similar to one that you would get in a can (i.e. Pillsbury/Betty Crocker) but homemade. I am going to be making a strawberry cake in a couple days and I would like to make it entirely from scratch. Any suggestions? I saw one called 7 minute frosting, but I don't know how it tastes or the consistency of it. I'd prefer something that spreads easily but isn't too runny and isn't overwhelmingly sweet. Thanks in advance!

This is pretty easy. My mom used it all the time

1/2 cup Crisco (you can sub butter)
1 lb powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
milk

mix the first 3 ingredients together and add milk slowly until you reach the consistency you want.

7 minute frosting will come out more like a meringue, or marshmallow in flavor.

The recipe that jabbur posted is a very simple, American buttercream. It will be a bit different that what comes in a can, but in my opinion, better. It is the type found on birthday cakes of my youth.

7 minute frosting will come out more like a meringue, or marshmallow in flavor.

The recipe that jabbur posted is a very simple, American buttercream. It will be a bit different that what comes in a can, but in my opinion, better. It is the type found on birthday cakes of my youth.

I use half butter and half Crisco. I think it gives the frosting a bit more flavor. I learned the Crisco trick more than forty years ago. :angel:

The hydrogenation of crisco and other shortenings are the "magic" to a lot of frostings. I cannot accomplish the light, fluffy texture needed for my whoopie pies without it. If I go with all butter, it just seems like icing as the filling. Shortening also helps make it more stable, it can handle warmer, more humid weather than an icing with only butter.

I too use a bit of butter for flavor, or just go all butter if texture isn't as important.

The buttercream with shortening sounds perfect! Thanks for the help everyone!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom