ISO coffee cake recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

miniman

Executive Chef
We have a team of contractors repairing our house (foolowing a fire) at the moment. My wife offere to make them a cake an they aske for a coffee cake. Any one have a recipe that is without chocolate or nuts or other similar extra ingreients.

Thank you.

I love coffee and anything flavored with coffee. I don’t see why you couldn’t use this recipe and sub instant coffee crystals for the cinnamon. Two teaspoons of cinnamon is not a lot of cinnamon and it flavors this cake nicely, I would think that two teaspoons of coffee crystals would do the same for the cake as well as the frosting.

Snickerdoodle Cake

1 box yellow cake mix (I used Duncan Hines)
1-teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 stick of butter – softened
3 large eggs
1-tablespoon vinegar
1/2-cup sour cream
Enough milk to make 1-1/3 cups
1-tablespoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 350° or 325° for dark or coated cake pans.

Prepare 3 / 9-inch cake pans by cutting wax or parchment paper rounds to fit in the bottom of the pans. Spray or butter the pans then place the paper rounds into place; spray or butter the paper.

In a 2-cup liquid measuring cup place the 1 tablespoon of vinegar and the 1/2-cup of sour cream then add enough milk to make 1-1/3 cups. Add the vanilla to the sour cream mixture.

Put the cake mix, baking soda and cinnamon in an electric mixer bowl, stir well to mix the ingredients. Cut the butter into small slices and mix it into the dry cake mix. Add the eggs and sour cream mixture. Beat on low speed for 30 seconds to combine, stop mixer and scrape the sides of the mixer bowl; then beat on medium speed for 3 minutes.

Divide the batter equally between the pans and bake for 25 to 28 minutes or until tooth pick inserted into middle of cake comes out clean

Remove the pans from the oven and allow them to cool on cooling racks for 15 minutes then remove the cakes from the pans and allow them to cool completely.

Cinnamon Butter Cream Frosting

1 stick of butter – softened
1/4-teaspoon salt
1/4-cup milk (I used half and half)
2-teaspoons cinnamon
1 pound of powdered sugar

Place softened butter, salt, milk and cinnamon into mixing bowl; add half the powdered sugar and beat to combine. Add the rest of the sugar and beat until light a fluffy.
Frost the cake

img_457437_0_33c32b389b2500b7bcf7fe481444d9e2.jpg

img_457437_1_46dcd04555ae3e42679e27b143b02f36.jpg

Here's one that I've had in my files for a long time. I'm not sure the original source anymore (I'm guessing a church cookbook perhaps), but I do know it's good!

Cappuccino Pudding Cake

1 cup all-purpose flour
2/3 cup sugar
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup evaporated skim milk
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup semisweet chocolate morsels
1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 3/4 cups hot water
2 (.77-ounce) envelopes instant cappuccino coffee mix
OR
1/4 cup other instant flavored coffee mix (instant coffee granules)

Preheat oven to 350º.

Combine first 5 ingredients in a 9-inch square baking pan, and stir well. Add milk, oil, and vanilla, stirring until smooth. Stir in chocolate morsels. Combine brown sugar and 1/4 cup cocoa; sprinkle over batter.

Combine water and coffee mix, stirring to dissolve. Pour coffee mixture over batter; do not stir. Bake at 350º for 40 minutes or until cake springs back when touched lightly in center.

miniman,

Here is a simple and great recipe from Elizabeth David's "French provincial cooking" book that I bake often. I'm not an accomplished baker, but always get complimented on it (I call it the 3 cake):

Cake: Beat 3 oz. of vanilla sugar with 3 egg yolks until mix is creamy, add 3 oz. of flour. Whip the egg whites until you get stiff peaks and then fold into the cake mix. Put the batter into a lightly buttered medium size cake form and bake at 360 F for 30 min. Do not keep the cake on the mold for more thant 10/15 min. after taking it out of the oven.

Coffe cream filling: Mix one egg yolk with 3 oz of butter; add 3 oz. of powdered sugar gradually until obtaining a smooth mix. Add a tablespoon of expresso coffee w/o sugar mixed with Cognac (optional) to the mix.

Let the cake cool off and slice it into three layers. Spread the cream filling in between layers and use leftover cream as icing. Keep in the fridge until serving. Before serving, sprinkle powdered cocoa on top.

Enjoy with coffee or ice cream.

Katie E said:
Check out PA Baker's blueberry coffee cake here. I made it this weekend and it was wonderful. Plus, it was so easy I could hardly believe it. The recipe I used is from post #1. Enjoy!

mmmmm I just happen to have all the ingrediants in my house and looking for a way to use up some blueberries. I just might have to make this today.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom