"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 10-06-2005, 04:14 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Exclamation ISO Cup Cake recipe

can anyone help me with a cupcake recipe that gives a perfect dome shape top?
i am decorating with fondant so require the nicest shape possible. the recipes i have tried have sunk in middle or just flattened out???
i would love to find one that is like a chewy/dense/moist chocolate cake.

Old 10-06-2005, 07:46 AM   #2
Senior Cook

Mandy, This question was asked by a poster on some board, a long time ago. We did a search on baking 911 and found this info. I hope this will help you to get the results you want.

http://baking911.com/quikbrds/muffins.htm

Old 10-06-2005, 08:05 AM   #3
Master Chef

Welcome to the site, mandy. I'm sure someone here will provide you with the info you're looking for.

In the meantime, I'm moving this to the Desserts/cakes forum.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:25 AM   #4
Executive Chef

I think the rounded tops and the problems you're having are more related to how you're mixing, and your oven temp. If the oven temp is too high, it will make the cupcakes rise too fast, then collapse. Likewise, if you've mixed too vigorously, or if thre's too much liquid in the recipe. Here's a Gale Gand recipe that's always worked for me:

YELLOW CUPCAKES GALE GAND

cupcakes:

1 cup unsalted butter
2 cups sugar
1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 eggs
3 cups sifted cake flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
Regular or silver cupcake paper liners

Equipment: Several muffin tins

: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

In a mixer with a whip attachment, cream the butter until light and fluffy. Add the sugar and continue to cream. Gradually add the vanilla and eggs and mix in well. Sift together the dry ingredients; then mix into the butter mixture alternating with the milk. Pour batter into cupcake paper-lined muffin tins filling them 3/4 full. Bake until puffed and firm in the center and light golden brown on top, about 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool. (Freeze at this point, if necessary.)
Old 10-06-2005, 08:27 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Hi Mandy welcome to DC!

I'm pretty trusting of the recipes on the Food Network, others might have horror stories, but all the recipes I've made from there have turned out excellently...with that in mind here is a link to some of their cupcake recipes:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/et_p...745674,00.html

Another thing you could try looking up is (something to the extent of) "wedding cupcake recipes". Having a wedding cupcake tier has become so popular in the last few years, and I can't help but think that recipes that are "good enough" for a wedding would have to have smooth tops (just a thought though!)

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 11:09 AM   #6
Everymom

OK, I am going to whisper this. Buy a cake mix. It will work better and no one will ever know because they will look so wonderful with the fondant on them.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:52 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

wow, cooks with great correspondance skills!!

guys, i am sooooo impressed with the response i got ...and so quickly! thankyou all. i will try the recipe i have again, trying to mix the ingrediants differently-as the recipe did say bung it all in!!!
i have experimented with flat tops and round, and for some reason, with the hearts i am standing up on them, slightly round seems better.
i will check out those sites and recipes as well!

thankyou all :)
i will try and post a pic of end product!!!

mandy
Old 10-07-2005, 10:53 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
OK, I am going to whisper this. Buy a cake mix. It will work better and no one will ever know because they will look so wonderful with the fondant on them.
LOL, awwww...this one made me laugh, thanks Alix (It's true too!)

Quote:
I will try and post a pic of end product!!!
(Looking forward to it Mandy )

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None