ISO Cupcake Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jovin

Senior Cook
I am baking (hopefully) a recipe for applesauce muffins that I had cut out of our local newspaper years ago. I haven't made this in soooo long, and have only recently started baking again. I had afixed it to a loose leaf page in a notebook, but I hadn't realized that when I punched the holes in this page that it went through the list of ingredients. Now I don't know how much baking soda or salt this recipe calls for and I'm hoping someone can help me.

I don't trust my own judgement here, so I'm going to list all the other ingredients so that someone can hopefully tell me the proper amount to use.

1 and 1/2 cups cake flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
???? tsp baking soda
???? tsp salt

1/8 tsp nutmeg
7 tblsps margarine or butter
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
3/4 cup strained (canned) applesauce
1/2 tsp vanilla

I've already started with the dry ingredients and I'm hoping that soon someone can give me the proper measurements for these two ingredients.

Thank you for your help,
Jovin

Last edited by a moderator:
See? I knew I'd instantly get help.

but I couldn't even remember how to post! Thanks, Alix for your help.

I have no confidence in my abilities, and it shows...not just baking, but I want my muffins to be PERFECT, because they are for my weekly ELVIS MOVIE NIGHTS! (I am running an Elvis movie every week down in the main lounge in my seniors' building, and I bake and bake and bake. I found that if I offer free food, OLD PEOPLE WILL GO TO ANYTHING! (No offense anyone...I'm old, too!)

Anyway, I want to turn people around who aren't aware of Elvis' talents, and it is working. I've won over at least three die-hard anti-Elvis people and I'M PROUD TO SAY I DID IT! Now they are saying that they can't wait for the next movie, and requesting some to be shown over!

That's my job here on earth..to keep his memory alive!

In this elderly building it is black and white movies from the 40's and 50's. We get quite a crowd when one is being shown. Every one brings a food to snack on. We have a 52 inch screen on the wall and it is really easy to see it. Our local library has quite a collection of very old movies. Some even from the 30's. The musicals are very popular. A lot of times the folks will even sing along. Songs from their childhood. And they know all the words.

A couple of times we have had "Double Feature" night. On those nights, we started at six instead of the usual seven o'clock. A lot of the folks here go to bed around nine, so the movie has to be over by then. Movie night is a lot of fun for everyone. :angel:

I only show Elvis movies on our 52 in screen down there also. IF they don't like it, they don't have to come. We have a regular movie night that someone else runs during winter months and there's a big screen (movie type) that is used. They stop that in April because it's too light down in the lounge. Everyone kept asking me for more Elvis..could only show them about once a month during the regular movie nights, but now it's every week and one Sunday in between the odd time..

but I couldn't even remember how to post! Thanks, Alix for your help.

I have no confidence in my abilities, and it shows...not just baking, but I want my muffins to be PERFECT, because they are for my weekly ELVIS MOVIE NIGHTS! (I am running an Elvis movie every week down in the main lounge in my seniors' building, and I bake and bake and bake. I found that if I offer free food, OLD PEOPLE WILL GO TO ANYTHING! (No offense anyone...I'm old, too!)

Anyway, I want to turn people around who aren't aware of Elvis' talents, and it is working. I've won over at least three die-hard anti-Elvis people and I'M PROUD TO SAY I DID IT! Now they are saying that they can't wait for the next movie, and requesting some to be shown over!

That's my job here on earth..to keep his memory alive!

Free Food and nurses will show up, too!:LOL:

Tell me about it. It's getting out of hand. I KNOW they're enjoying the movies, and I can see their reactions, but old people and FREE FOOD...well, need I say more? I am really out of control here. I use only the best ingredients, and I bake for at least two days or more and I'm paying for all of this on my own. I absolutely insist that no one give me anything towards my costs...only two have even suggested that "everyone donate 50 cents"...not doing that....I keep telling them that "I'm doing it for Elvis." All I need is the darned bunch of people complaining that they gave me money and so and so didn't, or how much one gave and the others didn't...it's awful....people talk and gossip so much. I DON'T WANT THIS!

All credit to you for doing this for your fellow residents. I'm sure it's a high point of the day for them.

I want my muffins to be PERFECT, because they are for my weekly ELVIS MOVIE NIGHTS! (I am running an Elvis movie every week down in the main lounge in my seniors' building, and I bake and bake and bake. I found that if I offer free food, OLD PEOPLE WILL GO TO ANYTHING! (No offense anyone...I'm old, too!)

This reminds me of a commercial I've been hearing a lot on the radio.

This old woman is talking to her son about her friends and their Wednesday Night Bingo Club. They go out for Mexican food every Wednesday night, and around 2am, BINGO!

All credit to you for doing this for your fellow residents. I'm sure it's a high point of the day for them.

Actually it seems to be the high point of the WEEK for many. They've been very kind to me and sent me notes and called me up when I was upset over someone constantly taking down my notes after I had put so much work into doing them....I do it for Elvis though, first and foremost, for all of the pleasure he has brought into my life over the last 58 years. Of course I do want to make others happy, but didn't really think this would be accepted as well as it has. I mean, I LOVE ELVIS, but then I'm an Elvis fanatic. What surprised me alot is that so many people have come down that normally wouldn't show their faces in any part of the common areas, and so many are Elvis fans that have told me how they have all of his movies or have seen them 30 times plus....

In this elderly building it is black and white movies from the 40's and 50's. We get quite a crowd when one is being shown. Every one brings a food to snack on. We have a 52 inch screen on the wall and it is really easy to see it. Our local library has quite a collection of very old movies. Some even from the 30's. The musicals are very popular. A lot of times the folks will even sing along. Songs from their childhood. And they know all the words.

A couple of times we have had "Double Feature" night. On those nights, we started at six instead of the usual seven o'clock. A lot of the folks here go to bed around nine, so the movie has to be over by then. Movie night is a lot of fun for everyone. :angel:
Let me know if an apartment becomes vacant. I LOVE '30s and '40s B&W movies. Anything with Bette Davies has me hooked.

Tell me about it. It's getting out of hand. I KNOW they're enjoying the movies, and I can see their reactions, but old people and FREE FOOD...well, need I say more? I am really out of control here. I use only the best ingredients, and I bake for at least two days or more and I'm paying for all of this on my own. I absolutely insist that no one give me anything towards my costs...only two have even suggested that "everyone donate 50 cents"...not doing that....I keep telling them that "I'm doing it for Elvis." All I need is the darned bunch of people complaining that they gave me money and so and so didn't, or how much one gave and the others didn't...it's awful....people talk and gossip so much. I DON'T WANT THIS!

Oh how I know this to be so true. I think every elderly building has their ring of gossipers. And those that grab anything that is FREE! When we have a party of any sort, there is always the group who stay to the very last minute so they can grab all the leftovers and take them back to their apartment. And if I have something that I no longer want, but it is too nice or still of use, all I have to do is put it in the community room and within the hour it will disappear. After all it was free. :angel:

Since the cupcakes go with Elvis movies, you might try making some various Elvis themed recipes. They are basically banana cupcakes with peanut butter icing. I've even seen some that have a drizzle of chocolate over the icing.

here are some interesting options:

Winning Cupcake The King of Cupcakes (Elvis) Recipe : Food Network

Elvis Cupcakes - Confessions of a Cookbook Queen

Elvis Cupcakes Recipe | Taste of Home

Elvis chocolate, peanut butter, & banana cupcakes | Ambitious Kitchen

Peanut Butter Banana Elvis Cupcakes « Peanut Butter Recipes

I've made this last one before and added a little chopped chocolate in with the crumb topping. Sticking a banana chip in as flourish would also be a nice touch.

Peanut_Butter_Banana_Butterfinger_Cupcakes4.JPG

Back
Top Bottom