"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes
Old 07-12-2005, 10:58 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via Yahoo to middie
i'll add karma too !

middie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 01:09 PM   #12
Master Chef
That's great nytxn!! I'm glad it was good!! Thanks for letting us know!

texasgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 05:14 PM   #13
Master Chef
I just whipped up a batch of these. I had to make a few adjustments though. The batter was too thick to go through the funnel so I added more milk to make it thinner. I think because I added more milk the batter wasn't sweet enough so I add more sugar to the batter.
It was a fun challenge to try and get the batter to go from the center our. They ended up looking like spiders.... oh well they were some pretty tasty buggers.... .....my little one devoured them. DH wasn't home so I saved the batter and will whip him up a batch tonight after supper.
Thanks Tex!

Oh yea.......I added cinnamon to my powder sugar and sifted it over the cakes.
Se non supporta il calore, vattene dalla cucina!
SizzlininIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 08:30 PM   #14
Executive Chef
I don't believe I just found this thread

The past few weeks, I've been working on improving the basic Funnel Cake recipe I have. I've made it a few times, but a couple weeks ago, I had a thought. Why not use a buttermilk base? So, I reformulated my original recipe into two different ones. One is a "quick" mix, using buttermilk baking mix. The other is identical to the original, except I used buttermilk instead of milk. It came out pretty darn good. So good, in fact, that my MIL has been dropping hints for me to make some more, as I still have Buttermilk left

Buttermilk Funnel Cakes
Yields: 4 - 6 servings

I like to use an 8” cast iron skillet for this, with about ½” of oil in it. If you have one, by all means, use it. If you’re lucky enough to have a 6” cast iron skillet, even better, as you can get personal-sized desserts.
I also just mix this up in a large measuring cup, then pour the batter directly into the hot oil. Messing with a funnel, and capping the end with a finger, is just a little to messy in my opinion. Using a measuring cuts down on dirty dishes, and works just great.

1 1/3 c flour
¼ t salt
2 T sugar
½ t soda
¾ t baking powder
1 egg, beaten
1 ½ c buttermilk, or more as needed
Oil for frying
powdered sugar

Into a large bowl, sift together the dry ingredients. Combine the liquid ingredients in a 4 c measuring cup. Add the dry ingredients. Beat until smooth. Fill a skillet or pan with ½” of cooking oil and heat to a temperature of 375°F. Pour the batter in a small stream into the hot oil, swirling around and criss-crossing over itself. Fry until golden brown, about 1 or 2 minutes, turning once with two spatulas. Remove to paper toweling to drain. Place on a plate and sprinkle with powdered sugar or fruit filling. Serve hot. Repeat the process until all of the batter is used up.

On a final note: I wouldn't be to surprised if the recipe I've posted here can also be used for basic buttermilk pancakes. Also, around here, fruit fillings seem to be the norm, instead of powdered sugar. I made a basic apple pie filling and topped my funnel cakes with that, although, just about any fruit filling will work.
Peace, Love, and Vegetable Rights!
Eat Meat and Save the Plants!
AllenOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 11:31 AM   #15
Master Chef
White, heavily processed flour, grease, and sugar. Could anybody pass up such an indulgence? I'm not going to make this wicked treat. It's bad enough that I make my pancake recipe.

Oh if I only had that 19 year old body I used to have, you know, the one that could eat 2 Wendy's Tripples, Endless amounts of french fries, and funnel cakes, and weighed in at 103 lbs. Where did that body go anyway? :-)
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 01:23 PM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North
...Where did that body go anyway? :-)

It's still in there somewhere. You just have to fish around a little. I find that if I dangle a french fry in front of my open mouth, my 19 year-old body will actually take control of my body and gobble it up.

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote