ISO good/helpful wedding cake books

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rebecca

Assistant Cook
Hello!

My friend has asked me to make her wedding cake. I've been baking for some time but I've never attempted a wedding cake. I'm looking for a good book to help me. If anyone knows of any UK books that would be helpful as it saves the translation of quantities and language!

Thanks!

Rebecca

Thanks Wyogal... I have been debating whether to get the Cake Bible. UK bookshops don't seem to stock it... I will probably order it on Amazon but I would rather have a look before purchasing. In case it is full of american terms and measures that will be complicated to translate! Even our eggs come in different sizes from American eggs :)

If the book is good, and only has American weights and measures, maybe you could also order an inexpensive set of American measuring cups and spoons. An approximate measure of eggs: 5 eggs=8oz (28 grams=1oz) 9 egg whites=8oz, 10 egg yolks=8oz. Maybe you could find something equivalent to that in the UK.

Great - thanks! Egg weights are very helpful. Is that for large eggs or medium?

PS. I have ordered The Cake Bible from amazon :)

Rebecca, are you looking for help just with baking a wedding cake or with the decorating too? For decorating, Wilton has a whole series of books that take you through all the techniques and varied styles. You can get them just about anywhere you can get cake decorating supplies. They don't go through any of the baking, but are internationally recognized.

The UK and Australia are miles ahead on cake decorating so I am sure you can find books and supplies easily.

Not sure, but you could always experiment with measuring eggs next time you crack a few.

Hello. Thanks for the responses :)

Well I am mainly looking for advice at the moment on how to make a delicious and perfect shaped cake! I have attended some cake decorating classes so I have plenty of advice about the fondant covering and florist paste flowers. I think I will need some practice though!

Hello. Thanks for the responses :)

Well I am mainly looking for advice at the moment on how to make a delicious and perfect shaped cake! I have attended some cake decorating classes so I have plenty of advice about the fondant covering and florist paste flowers. I think I will need some practice though!

Rebecca what do you mean by "perfectly shaped cakes"? As far as a delicious cake I agree with your choice of books... Although I don't have the cake bible, I have Rose's new book Heavenly cakes and I adore it... Get yourself a good scale and you will be amazed at the results... Get cake bands also if your idea of perfect shaped cakes is a flat top, they work... Good luck, and have fun...

Another way to get a "perfectly shaped cake" is (even with the bands), do always use the bottom of the cake layer as the top. The texture is better and it is totally flat. If the top (which becomes the bottom of the cake or tier) is a little off shape, trimming and frosting will help to even it and keep the cake level with a beautiful top.

When adding frosting or other fillings between layers a trick is to put some of the outer frosting into a piping bag with a medium round tip (you can just use the coupler or cut the end off a bag, anything for a fairly round shape). Before filling the layer, pipe the frosting around the edge of the cake. Some sources say to make this "wall" the same height as the filling but I like it a little more. Don't worry as the excess will just come out and become part of the iced cake. Now add your filling inside the wall and place the top or next layer over the filling. This especially good for leveling and making sure a fruit or cream filling doesn't ooze out.

I know you didn't want decorating help, but this is often where the "perfect shape" is obtained.

Hope this helps!

Thank you LPBeir and Mimizkitchen. Those tips are very helpful.

I have been reading up on bake even strips... they look like a good idea. I haven't seen them sold in the UK so once again I think I will have to order them online.

Once the cake is even enough, turning it upside down seems like the way forward so the top is flat. I will certainly try the frosting wall idea - sounds great! Thanks for the tip.

I spent the whole day yesterday making sugar flowers and miniature bride and groom. For the bride and groom I gave up on sugar dough however and used fimo! Which is sort of cheating I know but working with the sugar dough was proving to be a nightmare. I'm pleased with the fimo results and will just warn the bride and groom and they can't be eaten!

Next I'm studying the Cake Bible to find the perfect recipe for the cake itself.

:)

Back
Top Bottom