ISO Good Pound Cake recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tonight, I hope to make (I am warming the eggs, and softening the butter) a poundcake from Shirley O' Corriher's "BakeWise". It is "Chef Heather Hurlbert's Magnificent Moist Whipped Cream Pound Cake". It has blueberries in it. I hope to overnight it to a friend.

I have been having such a hard time with sleepiness at night that it has been hard to bake but tonight I am determined.

All of the pound cake recipes sound wonderful.

oatmealkookie1, I just love pound cake and wouldn't mind trying your recipe too. PLEASE! :):)

I hate to ask a silly question but what is a pound cake (meaning what makes it different to a normal cake)?
It has always been my understanding from the time I was a little kid that the original "pound cake" recipe called for a pound of butter, a pound of sugar, a pound of flour, and a pound of eggs. Wikipedia supports that, citing Cook's Illustrated. I've always wanted to try that but never got around to it, probably because I'm afraid it wouldn't be very good. I'll see Wight Cook's has to say.

My house has been all torn up and in the midst of a long remodeling and so my cookbooks are mostly boxed up but I finally remembered where to find what I wanted. At first I thought I wanted Classic Home Desserts by Richard Sax (which is a wonderful cookbook by the way) but actually, I wanted Carole Walter's Great Cakes (Nick Malgieri wrote the foreward to this book). She has an entire chapter on pound cakes and I have made her 18th century pound cake for my friend, Jeff. This cake dates before the American Revolution

This is made in an 8-cup loaf pan:
18th Century Pound Cake
Ingredients:
2-1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1-1/4 cups (2-1/2 sticks) sweet butter
1 cup plus 6 Tablespoons superfine or strained sugar
6 large eggs
2 teaspoons rosewater or vanilla extract

For this kind of pound cake the long beating before the flour is added was required to leaven the cake. This bakes for 85-90 minutes at 325 degrees and after an hour, a 1/4-inch slit is cut in the cake while in the oven to allow for the formation of an even crack.

This cake is traditionally wrapped in a brandy-soaked cheesecloth and stored airtight so the flavors can mellow. It can be cooled and served with powdered sugar, too.

This is often served toasted with melted butter and cinnamon and sugar.

I checked several of my very old cookbooks but couldn't find much about pound cakes. However, Irma Rombauer does say in the original 1931 Joy of Cooking that the old pound cake recipes she had tried "all had an objectionable solidity." I suspect that what me now think of as pound cake is quite different from the original.

Hello. I am new here. I am a nut about pound cakes as many people are here in the Deep South. Both of my grandmothers were great bakers and there was hardly a time that there was not one in either household. When I was in college my grandmother would almost always make me one on the weekend to take back to school. I am not too crazy about the versions that get too far off of the basic flour, sugar, butter, & eggs, and I especially dont like a leavening agent in my pound cake. I feel it takes away from them a lot. I prefer to let the beaten eggs do that alone.

Here is the version that I prefer most. Very basic, but very good. I never put a frosting on it at all.

Old Fashioned Pound Cake

3 Cups Flour (Please *try* to use Cake Flour if you can)
3 Cups Sugar
3 Sticks Butter
10 Eggs (Country Ones are the Best)
Piece of Cream Cheese about as big as a small egg
Juice of a Nice Juicy Lemon
2 teasp Good Quality Vanilla
3/4 Tsp Salt
3/4 Mace (Optional, but I really like it)

IF YOU DONT HAVE CAKE FLOUR AND ARENT GOING TO GET ANY, YOU CAN STILL MAKE THIS CAKE, IT JUST WONT HAVE AS FINE A TEXTURE. IN THAT CASE USE ALL-PURPOSE (PLAIN) FLOUR.I prefer White Lily.

DO NOT, I REPEAT **DO NOT** USE SELF-RISING FLOUR, IT WILL RUIN IT ! ! ! ! ! ! !
(There is no mistake here, do NOT Use and any Soda or Baking Powder, we will make sure you dont need that.)
The Secret is the Process. And if you will follow me, it wont be as much trouble.
Separate the eggs into two large bowls. Beat the egg whites .... when they are beginning to get stiff begin adding in about 1/3 Cup at a time, about one cup of the 3 cups of sugar. When you have added it all, beat about a min or two to make sure it is nice and glossy like a frosting. Set aside. Dont bother washing your beater.
In the Other Large Bowl with the 10 eggs yolks beat the other 2 cups sugar and the 3 sticks of butter. When beaten well add the lemon juice, vanilla, salt, mace and cream cheese. Beat well.
Then add the 3 cups flour and mix well, but nothing more than mixed well. Mix well and Then STOP:
*** Do not continue to beat after well-mixed. That develops the gluten, which is what you want for rolls, etc, and exactly what you DONT Want with a Cake. ***
Then dump the cake on top of the egg whites and Fold .... and guess what .... you dont have to Fold Gently .... the Air is Sealed In and only a small amount will escape, so dont beat the heck out of it, just fold it, but dont worry .... no need to be gentle.
Bake at about 325 for one hour and 25-30 minutes. Test to make sure it is done.
Hang onto this receipt (that;s what grandma always called it) it is the basis for the cake that follows.

Any Questions, email me.

I would like to respond to the three comments above. In the Deep South we (at least us older ones) take Pound Cakes very seriously. A True Pound Cake does indeed have one pound of each ingredient. And yes, they are quite different than other cakes. And, what many people now refer to as Pound Cakes are nothing more than regular cakes baked in a Tube Cake Pan.

Referring to the "Objectionable Quality" that was referred to by that cookbook author, it is certainly not objectionable to many hundreds of thousands of people through several centuries. But, it is quite different. A pound cake is a rather dense solid cake. It is not light and fluffy, it is not meant to be, and if you are eating one that is, you can be guaranteed it is NOT a Pound Cake.

That does not mean that it is ponderously heavy, however. It is dense, rich with a nice deep velvety texture. Since a Pound Cake does not have a lot of extra things in it to distract you, its success depends almost entirely on the quality and freshness of the basic ingredients. The main flavor of a Pound Cake should be a rich butter and egg flavor, plus the vanilla or lemon and the mace if you add it.

Additionally it must be put together properly. I never depend on the creaming and beating method to give enough air to the cake .... sometimes it will work, sometimes you will be disappointed. I wont risk it. That is why I use the method above; it always works, no doubt about it.

Some people use the creaming method and guarantee the levity through soda or baking powder. You can do this if you will use only about 1/4-1/3 of the usual amount (I consider that cheating, and my pride would never let me do that) but it will come at a price, and one I am not willing to pay. It *will* change the texture of your cake, it will no longer be as velvety as otherwise; it will take on a somewhat coarse texture.

If you will follow my receipt you should have a very authentic old-time cake. You can make very minor adjustments, but dont stray very far from it. You may cut the sugar by about 1/4 cup if you like. Sometimes with some flours I find I need another tablespoon or even two of lemon juice or a spoon of cream. If it seems too greasy, cut about 1/4 off the stick of the last stick of butter. That is what I often do and then grease the pan with that. If you make this cake, let me know how you like it.

As to frostings, I dont think I have ever had one with a frosting, or if I did, I cannot remember it. I did have one with a glaze once that was outrageously good and seemed to fit the Pound Cake perfectly. It was about 15 years ago and was made by an 85 yr old lady friend and brought to a celebration. I asked her how she made it and she said it was one carton (1 Cup) Heavy Whipping Cream and One Cup Sugar boiled together 2-3 minutes and a half spoon of vanilla. It was far better than its simplicity suggests.

Thank you! Your grandmothers' "receipt" is what I was looking for but couldn't find in my old cookbooks or in any of my many Southern cookbooks, for that matter.

And I agree with you -- dense doesn't necessarily mean objectionable, just different.

Hello. I am new here. I am a nut about pound cakes as many people are here in the Deep South. Both of my grandmothers were great bakers and there was hardly a time that there was not one in either household. When I was in college my grandmother would almost always make me one on the weekend to take back to school. I am not too crazy about the versions that get too far off of the basic flour, sugar, butter, & eggs, and I especially dont like a leavening agent in my pound cake. I feel it takes away from them a lot. I prefer to let the beaten eggs do that alone.

Here is the version that I prefer most. Very basic, but very good. I never put a frosting on it at all.

Old Fashioned Pound Cake

3 Cups Flour (Please *try* to use Cake Flour if you can)
3 Cups Sugar
3 Sticks Butter
10 Eggs (Country Ones are the Best)
Piece of Cream Cheese about as big as a small egg
Juice of a Nice Juicy Lemon
2 teasp Good Quality Vanilla
3/4 Tsp Salt
3/4 Mace (Optional, but I really like it)

IF YOU DONT HAVE CAKE FLOUR AND ARENT GOING TO GET ANY, YOU CAN STILL MAKE THIS CAKE, IT JUST WONT HAVE AS FINE A TEXTURE. IN THAT CASE USE ALL-PURPOSE (PLAIN) FLOUR.I prefer White Lily.

DO NOT, I REPEAT **DO NOT** USE SELF-RISING FLOUR, IT WILL RUIN IT ! ! ! ! ! ! !
(There is no mistake here, do NOT Use and any Soda or Baking Powder, we will make sure you dont need that.)
The Secret is the Process. And if you will follow me, it wont be as much trouble.
Separate the eggs into two large bowls. Beat the egg whites .... when they are beginning to get stiff begin adding in about 1/3 Cup at a time, about one cup of the 3 cups of sugar. When you have added it all, beat about a min or two to make sure it is nice and glossy like a frosting. Set aside. Dont bother washing your beater.
In the Other Large Bowl with the 10 eggs yolks beat the other 2 cups sugar and the 3 sticks of butter. When beaten well add the lemon juice, vanilla, salt, mace and cream cheese. Beat well.
Then add the 3 cups flour and mix well, but nothing more than mixed well. Mix well and Then STOP:
*** Do not continue to beat after well-mixed. That develops the gluten, which is what you want for rolls, etc, and exactly what you DONT Want with a Cake. ***
Then dump the cake on top of the egg whites and Fold .... and guess what .... you dont have to Fold Gently .... the Air is Sealed In and only a small amount will escape, so dont beat the heck out of it, just fold it, but dont worry .... no need to be gentle.
Bake at about 325 for one hour and 25-30 minutes. Test to make sure it is done.
Hang onto this receipt (that;s what grandma always called it) it is the basis for the cake that follows.

Any Questions, email me.

Since I wanted to save time, I copied that 'receipt' from an email where I had sent it to a friend. I had meant to erase that last line about the other cake. But since I didnt I will go and get it too, and then you can have the option of a totally different cake with this same receipt.

This cake is a bit of trouble .... not too much, but some. My grandmother only made it 3 times a year, my mother;s birthday in July and then Thanksgiving and Christmas. It is called a Lane Cake
LANE CAKE
Use the Pound Cake Receipt I gave you above. Add some grated orange peel. Then instead of baking in a tube pan, but it in 3 regular cake pans, or even 4 if you want a taller cake. Grease the cake pans very heavily with REAL Butter. I make three layers, it begins to get out of hand at four.
Bake about 20-25 minutes at 350*. Remove and cool on wire rack.
The Frosting is the Star here.
FROSTING FOR LANE CAKE:

12 Egg Yolks
2 Cups Sugar
1/2 teaspoon Salt
2 sticks of Butter, unsalted please, and real butter if possible
2/3 cup Bourbon Whiskey
2 Cups Raisins
2 cups coarsely Chopped Pecans
2 cups Shredded Coconut
2 cups Marashino Cherries (DO NOT USE CANDIED) some halved, some quartered
Cook the egg yolks and sugar and butter over hot water until thick and clear, usually 10 minutes or so.
Take off heat and add all other ingredients. Put between the layers of the cake and let set. It will ooze out the sides so just be patient and occasionally put the fallen pieces back on, (or eat them!!) It;s never gonna hang on the sides, so stop worrying over that.
If you want a real "Finished" Look make a 7 minute frosting and put around the sides. It is very elegant, but about 3 times out of 4 I just leave it open on the sides.
I generally make at least one of these and take to friends party or Christmas Day Dinner, etc. It travels very well.
The way to do that is Freeze it. Then wrap well after it is frozen, and put in a nice box. Take it out on the morning you need it and it is ready to travel.
Last year someone pulled out in front of me and I had to floor the brakes .... the cake hit the floor !! I put it back in the seat, and continued on. When we unwrapped it, there wasnt a cherry or raisin out of place.
When you arrive just Place on your friend's sideboard and by dessert time it is thawed and ready to eat. It also slices better after it has been frozen. If you have questions, email me.

Couple of questions on the Old Fashioned Pound Cake Receipt:

1. Is that 3/4 TEASPOON of Mace?

2. And is it 3/4 TEASPOON of salt?

3. What sized pan do you bake it in?

Thanks again.

Yes, that is 3/4 Teaspoon ... sorry I get in a hurry, and make little omissions. But remember that is up to your taste, but to me it gives me that Old-Timey Flavor I so associate with those cherished long-ago visits. I prefer it freshly ground. I guess you know that mace and nutmeg are basically the same thing, the nutmeg is the outer and the mace is the inner. I bake it is a large plain tube pan. (That is what I remember .... we didnt have a big bundt pan.) It will make a rather large cake. Sometimes I do a smaller version, a 2-2-2-7 of the butter, sugar, flour and eggs. Then I will use a smaller pan, and I wont have so much cake that I cant resist eating. (I think I am talking myself into making one this afternoon, it has been months since I had one!!)

Hey ....

Yes, it freezes very nicely.

My fondest memories are of going to my grandmother's house when I as in college and they had a long, long driveway and would see me coming for a while before I got there. By the time I got in the house my great-aunt would have gone to the freezer and gotten out the cakes, always a regular pound cake, and often a chocolate one, and a coconut one, and sometimes a wonderful rich spicy applesauce raisin one. And my grandmother would be making some fresh tea and we would sit and visit. Sometimes I would drive 45 minutes for a 30 minute visit, but so worth it.

And yes, grease the pan generously. I like the pan cold and the butter warm, it makes a nice thick layer hold on. And then dust it with flour.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom