ISO help/advice tripling cake recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pengyou

Senior Cook
Can any cake recipe be tripled? My mixing bowl will hold 4 batches of a commonly made chocolate cake but that is really pushing it. All of the institutional recipes are much too big for my equipment. If you have a tried and true recipe for the following that can be doubled or tripled - and made as cupcakes - I would sure appreciate it if you shared. I don't have time to experiment...the last 2 new recipes that I tried were duds and will need 2 or 3 more attempts before I can consider them to be tried and true :(

- carrot cake
- white cake
- oatmeal muffins/cupcakes
- other?

Because baking is such an exact science, I never double a recipe. When I am making a cake, I place all the dry ingredients in a zippy bag. If I am going to be making more than one cake, (such as two wreath cakes tomorrow) I repeat the same process. Each cake is treated and measured as an individual cake.

When I am ready to start baking, I place the dry ingredients in a mixer bowl, then add the liquids called for in the recipe. I also made the frosting for each cake separately. Each batch is in a separate bowl, just waiting to meet up with the cake.

My first husband was a trained pastry chef. He had a booklet that he wrote all his own recipes in. They were for 25 or more people. When I read them, I compared his recipes with tried and true ones in The Joy Of Cooking. I did the math and saw that when broken down, to an individual dish or dessert, there would be like 1/4 cups of flour left over, 1 ounce of milk, etc.

Start with your dry ingredients first. They are the most difficult items that require the most attention. Get a box of zippy bags and when you are ready to start making the cakes, do so one at a time.

That doesn't mean you have to bake them one at a time. The most I put into my oven is three. I tend to make triple layered cakes.

I've doubled recipes of lots of cakes, but never more than that. Try one of the baking sites like wilton.com and see if they have any revipes or tips for you. I've made a few wedding cakes for 50-75 people and always went there for recipes.

Back
Top Bottom