ISO help making red icing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chybabe2

Assistant Cook
i'm having trouble getting my icing red, and once i finally get it red enough, it taste horrible! I'm using the wilton paste coloring... any suggestions?

Red is the hardest color to use. I have found that adding some coloring to the butter as you cream it helps to get a base without using as much. Then, after you have beaten in the sugar and milk/water, you can add more to bring it to the shade you want. Also, make sure you add a flavoring such as vanilla or any other extract to offset the coloring taste. Here I don't worry about using a clear vanilla because the darkness of regular vanilla actually helps deepen the color (but don't go overboard on the vanilla).

This works with gumpaste for flowers as well. I use a powder mix and I add coloring with the water as I measure it and it gives a nice base to work with, without making the paste too sloppy.

Apparently Wilton makes a no-taste red colouring these days; they claim that the colour is as vibrant as with the regular colouring so it might be worth giving it a try. The red colour I used in England years and years ago didn't have this problem (I was really surprised when I first came to the USA and ran across the revolting flavour of the red food colouring), so mail-order from an overseas supplier is also an option.

I like Americolor way better than any Wilton colors. Once I tried those I never bought another wilton color. My reds are red not pink, black is black, not grey. I purchase online at globalsugarart.com

I've always used powder food colors when trying for reds & blacks.

It's easy to find if you google it.

Back
Top Bottom