ISO-Help with Fondant - Could it Work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had to make a wedding cake for someone and did a lot of research on how to get a very smooth finish with buttercream because the bride didn't want fondant due to the texture/taste issue, even with homemade fondant. On the Wilton discussion board seasoned cake bakers gave the tip of using interfacing to get a smooth, almost fondant looking finish on buttercream. Frost the cake, let it set up until the outside is just slightly dried/crusty then take strips/pieces of interface cut just a bit larger than sides/top, lay it on top or against side of cake and gently smooth your hand over it. The warmth of your hand will smooth out any ridges in the icing and you can just peel away the interfacing. You need to use new, clean, never washed interfacing for this so it will be perfectly smooth without any creases. I just did a couple of small practice cakes, it was an easy technique to master.

Viva paper towels work really well for this too, since they have no pattern at all.

I had to make a wedding cake for someone and did a lot of research on how to get a very smooth finish with buttercream because the bride didn't want fondant due to the texture/taste issue, even with homemade fondant. On the Wilton discussion board seasoned cake bakers gave the tip of using interfacing to get a smooth, almost fondant looking finish on buttercream. Frost the cake, let it set up until the outside is just slightly dried/crusty then take strips/pieces of interface cut just a bit larger than sides/top, lay it on top or against side of cake and gently smooth your hand over it. The warmth of your hand will smooth out any ridges in the icing and you can just peel away the interfacing. You need to use new, clean, never washed interfacing for this so it will be perfectly smooth without any creases. I just did a couple of small practice cakes, it was an easy technique to master.
Do you mean interfacing that is used for sewing? If so, I guess you need the non-woven stuff.

View attachment 18484

View attachment 18485

As an afterthought Chief,
These are little sponge cakes coated in 'candy melt' icing and decorated that we had recently for a big party. People can pick whichever takes their fancy and each one is only a couple of mouthfuls. Just wondered if it may give you ideas or help

And you can get the "As Seen On TV" little cake lollipops baking pans now in Walgreens and other stores that feature these products. I was looking at one where the maker didn't have any styrofoam on hand, so she stuck the sticks in the holds of a turned over colander. Ingenius! :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom