"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 08-15-2013, 07:07 AM   #21
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
I had to make a wedding cake for someone and did a lot of research on how to get a very smooth finish with buttercream because the bride didn't want fondant due to the texture/taste issue, even with homemade fondant. On the Wilton discussion board seasoned cake bakers gave the tip of using interfacing to get a smooth, almost fondant looking finish on buttercream. Frost the cake, let it set up until the outside is just slightly dried/crusty then take strips/pieces of interface cut just a bit larger than sides/top, lay it on top or against side of cake and gently smooth your hand over it. The warmth of your hand will smooth out any ridges in the icing and you can just peel away the interfacing. You need to use new, clean, never washed interfacing for this so it will be perfectly smooth without any creases. I just did a couple of small practice cakes, it was an easy technique to master.
Viva paper towels work really well for this too, since they have no pattern at all.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:19 AM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
I had to make a wedding cake for someone and did a lot of research on how to get a very smooth finish with buttercream because the bride didn't want fondant due to the texture/taste issue, even with homemade fondant. On the Wilton discussion board seasoned cake bakers gave the tip of using interfacing to get a smooth, almost fondant looking finish on buttercream. Frost the cake, let it set up until the outside is just slightly dried/crusty then take strips/pieces of interface cut just a bit larger than sides/top, lay it on top or against side of cake and gently smooth your hand over it. The warmth of your hand will smooth out any ridges in the icing and you can just peel away the interfacing. You need to use new, clean, never washed interfacing for this so it will be perfectly smooth without any creases. I just did a couple of small practice cakes, it was an easy technique to master.
Do you mean interfacing that is used for sewing? If so, I guess you need the non-woven stuff.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:05 PM   #23
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Do you mean interfacing that is used for sewing? If so, I guess you need the non-woven stuff.
Yes, Pellon maybe? It was the stuff that is wrapped on the bolt with plastic to protect it.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:36 AM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by menumaker View Post
Attachment 18484

Attachment 18485

As an afterthought Chief,
These are little sponge cakes coated in 'candy melt' icing and decorated that we had recently for a big party. People can pick whichever takes their fancy and each one is only a couple of mouthfuls. Just wondered if it may give you ideas or help
And you can get the "As Seen On TV" little cake lollipops baking pans now in Walgreens and other stores that feature these products. I was looking at one where the maker didn't have any styrofoam on hand, so she stuck the sticks in the holds of a turned over colander. Ingenius!

Tags
other