ISO-Help with Fondant - Could it Work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I know that fondant makes a cake very formal, and pretty. But most people I know don't want to eat it. With that being said, I wonder if a flavored fondant couldn't amke a cake as pretty, but be much more palatable, even gourmet.

Anybody ever try this technique?

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I know that fondant makes a cake very formal, and pretty. But most people I know don't want to eat it. With that being said, I wonder if a flavored fondant couldn't amke a cake as pretty, but be much more palatable, even gourmet.

Anybody ever try this technique?

I think it is consistancy you have to watchout for. Too much liquid added will make the fondant sticky. Using a powdered flavor could make it dry & crumbly.
Try just a little at a time & add more powdered sugar if it starts getting sticky?

Like most folks I know, they will not eat the fondant. In fact the won't even eat the cake. It is a texture thing. Give me a butter cream any day. I hate fondant. :angel:

Fondant covers a range of things.

I never have cared for the rolled and shaped fondant that is draped over some cakes. I have had and enjoyed petit fours covered with a pourable fondant that has been tinted and in some cases flavored.

I can't eat it anymore for two reasons Diabetes and it is so sweet it makes my teeth ache! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Fondant covers a range of things.

I never have cared for the rolled and shaped fondant that is draped over some cakes. I have had and enjoyed petit fours covered with a pourable fondant that has been tinted and in some cases flavored.

I can't eat it anymore for two reasons Diabetes and it is so sweet it makes my teeth ache! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:
Fondant and marzipan are cloyingly sweet--I can't eat either one of them.

Ok you guys be nice a put down the rocks.:LOL: I love fondant my daughters wedding cake was delicious.
kades

I have not prepared homemade fondant(aside from candy making), but the fondant I purchased online for my daughter's wedding cake, was actually quite palatable. I am not a sweet eater, but did taste this fondant and was impressed. As for "most people" not eating fondant, I can only say that most people at the wedding ate at least some of it, and who really "grew up eating fondant?" I was 52 years old when my daughter got married and that was the first fondant I had ever had....lol! As an aside, I was told by professional cake makers at the time that we chose to have a fondant covered cake that the brand makes a difference.
Oh and Chief.....I think you could flavor with Almond or orange etc. as long as you don't add a lot of liquid.

Last edited:
Ok, so maybe fondant can be made really good. I googled home made fondant recipes and found some to be very promising. But I still want to know if a nougat could work in its place. Anybody have any ideas about that?

Don't see why not Chief.
Perhaps Lemon flavour would be good? Use the zest and a bit of juice maybe. I use fondant each year on my Christmas Cake ( is that a British thing? ) and flavour it with a little brandy which is very nice but that may not suit you?? Colouring, in my experience can be hit and miss and I'm not sure I like the chemical taste you can sometimes get. Can you get 'Candy melts' across the pond? They melt down and make a shell-like covering. That's good as well

HPIM6524.jpg

P1000576.JPG

As an afterthought Chief,
These are little sponge cakes coated in 'candy melt' icing and decorated that we had recently for a big party. People can pick whichever takes their fancy and each one is only a couple of mouthfuls. Just wondered if it may give you ideas or help

Some people don't want to eat any thing covering a cake (or the cake for that matter), butter cream or fondant.
I don't even care if fondant/frosting is eaten since I'm only concerned with my own dietary needs. Let them eat cake.

Qh Aunt bea,
You must have heard that from the kids.......................or have you the same old memories as me? Can it be so long ago? happy days eh?

I had to make a wedding cake for someone and did a lot of research on how to get a very smooth finish with buttercream because the bride didn't want fondant due to the texture/taste issue, even with homemade fondant. On the Wilton discussion board seasoned cake bakers gave the tip of using interfacing to get a smooth, almost fondant looking finish on buttercream. Frost the cake, let it set up until the outside is just slightly dried/crusty then take strips/pieces of interface cut just a bit larger than sides/top, lay it on top or against side of cake and gently smooth your hand over it. The warmth of your hand will smooth out any ridges in the icing and you can just peel away the interfacing. You need to use new, clean, never washed interfacing for this so it will be perfectly smooth without any creases. I just did a couple of small practice cakes, it was an easy technique to master.

Last edited:
I think that manufacturers have caught on to the taste issue, from what I've heard the flavor has gotten a lot better. As for the texture there isn't much that can be done about that.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom