ISO Italian Plum Coffee Cake Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In the Kitchen

Executive Chef
Italian plums are in season at the store. Could someone tell me if they have a recipe for a coffee cake with plums and crumbs on the top? My brother will not let me keep the book my mother had t he recipe. I sure would appreciate it.

ITK, this recipe was in this month's issue of Cooking Light. I haven't tried it yet but it sounds quite good!

Plum Upside Down Cake

Serve with a scoop of vanilla yogurt or a dollop of fat-free whipped topping.
clear.gif

2 teaspoons butter
6 large red plums, pitted and quartered (about 1 pound)
1 1/4 cups sugar, divided
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
Dash of salt
Cooking spray
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (about 6 3/4 ounces)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter, softened
2 large eggs
3/4 cup fat-free buttermilk
1 tablespoon amaretto (almond-flavored liqueur)

Melt 2 teaspoons butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add plums, and cook 3 minutes. Add 1/2 cup sugar, cardamom, and dash of salt. Cook 10 minutes or until plums are tender, stirring frequently. Remove plums from pan using a slotted spoon. Bring cooking liquid to a boil. Cook 5 minutes or until liquid is very thick (consistency of jam).

While the cooking liquid reduces, arrange plums in bottom of a 9-inch round cake pan coated with cooking spray. Pour reduced cooking liquid over plums. Let cool.

Preheat oven to 350°.

Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, and 1/4 teaspoon salt, stirring well with a whisk. Beat 1/4 cup butter and remaining 3/4 cup sugar with a mixer at medium speed until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add flour mixture and buttermilk alternately to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat in amaretto. Pour batter over plums, spreading batter evenly. Bake at 350° for 50 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool 10 minutes. Run a knife around outside edge. Place a plate upside down on top of cake. Invert cake onto plate; cool.

Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 wedge)

Here's another one I had in my files that sounds good:

Cinnamon-Sugar Plum Cake

can also be made with fresh cherries, sliced peaches, nectarines, or pears.

1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cup plus 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel

5 large plums (about 1 1/4 pounds), pitted, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter 9-inch-diameter springform pan. Whisk first 3 ingredients in small bowl to blend. Using electric mixer, beat butter in large bowl until fluffy. Beat in 3/4 cup sugar. Add eggs 1 at a time, then lemon juice and lemon peel, beating until blended after each addition. Beat in flour mixture. Spread batter in prepared pan. Press plum wedges halfway into batter in concentric circles, spacing slightly apart. Mix remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar and cinnamon in small bowl; sprinkle over plums. Bake until cake is browned on top and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 50 minutes. Cut around cake; release pan sides. Serve cake warm or at room temperature.

Wow

Thanks, they sure do sound good! Anything with fresh fruit is a winner. Will surely have to try them both. I do appreciate your sharing them with me.

I found this recipe online. It sounds pretty good

Plum Coffee Cake presented by Old Thyme Inn Bed & Breakfast Email this page to a Friend

"George's very best!"

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup canola oil
2 eggs
1 cup whole milk
3 cups all-purpose flour
3 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
6-8 fresh plums, pitted and sliced
1 cup brown sugar, packed
6 T. all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
6 T. butter
1 cup chopped walnuts
In mixing bowl, cream sugar, oil and eggs until fluffy. Stir in the milk. Sift together the flour, salt and baking powder. Beat into other mixture. Spread batter in greased and floured 9" x 14" glass pan. Top with rows of plum slices. Combine remaining ingredients and mix until crumbly. Sprinkle crumbs over plumbs. Bake at 350° approximately 1 hour or until tested done. Cut into serves and serve warm.

amber

Thank you. This does sound like one my mother had. I thank you and I will try this one first and see results. One thing I like about this site is having more than one to pick from. I thank you for your time. I do know that they will appreciate you copying it for me to make. I send you their thanks as well. Today, I am making your eggplant with salami and mozzarella cheese. Always think of you when I do. Glad other people like eggplant.

Finally

After bothering all of you for recipe for plum cake, this appears in our newspaper today! The store had their season for It alian Plums and I guess I will have to use canned. Do they taste as good, or does anyone even buy canned? I prefer fresh but this is too late. This does sound good though. Especially since my family like both plums and prunes.

Plum Crumble

Yield: 6 to 8 servings

2 tablespoons brown sugar

1 1/2 tablespoons plus 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour,
divided

3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided

1/4 teaspoon ground ginger

2 heaping tablespoons finely chopped candied ginger

12 purple Italian or prune plums, halved and pitted

3/4 cup granulated sugar

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 egg, well beaten

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted

Vanilla ice cream, optional

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

Thoroughly mix brown sugar, 1 1/2 tablespoons flour, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon,
ground ginger and candied ginger. Add to plums and mix well. Arrange plums,
skin side up, in an ungreased 9-inch deep-dish pie plate.

Combine granulated sugar, baking powder, remaining 1 cup flour, remaining 1/2
teaspoon cinnamon and salt. Mix well. Stir in egg. Using hands, mix thoroughly
to produce little crumbs. Sprinkle over plums. Drizzle butter evenly over crumb
mixture.

Bake on the center oven rack 30 to 35 minutes, until top is browned and plums
yield easily when pricked with a cake tester.

Serve warm. Cake can be tightly covered and refrigerated for up to two days or
frozen. If reheating, bring to room temperature, then warm in a 300-degree
oven. If desired, serve with ice cream.

Per serving (based on 8 servings): 304 calories; 12g fat (36 percent
calories from fat); 7.5g saturated fat; 57mg cholesterol; 3g protein; 46g
carbohydrate; 32g sugar; 2g fiber; 136mg sodium; 50mg calcium; 181mg potassi

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom