ISO Moist Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Buttercream Frosting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Debbie

Senior Cook
Valentine's Day is coming, and I would like to make a rich moist chocolate cake... with a whipped chocolate type frosting... any recipes to share????:rolleyes:

Debbie, I would start by reading the back of the Hersey's can of baking choc. It's a pretty good recipe.

Others will be along with more interesting variations.

Hi Debbie. This thread is a treasure trove of chocolate cakes and other fine things chocolate. My first post is a lovely moist cake and the stuff in the middle is a type of buttercream. Good luck.

Read the thread - it'll knock your socks off (in a good way, of course!!!)
Oh, and Debbie, pardon me for not saying hello to you when you first came in -
welcome!!!

The is the moistest and richest homemade chocolate cake recipe I have ever tried! I like to frost it with a simple buttercream and use fresh strawberries for a garnish. If you are tired of making dry textured homemade cakes, give this recipe a try! It makes 12-14 servings.

MOIST AND RICH HOMEMADE CHOCOLATE CAKE

3 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups unsweetened cocoa
2 1/2 cups strong coffee
1/2 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
2 tsp unsalted butter at room temperature
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups fine granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups dark brown sugar
5 large eggs
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
Set oven to 350 degrees.
Cut parchment paper circles to fit three 9 inch cake pans, or 2 larger cake pans (depending on the size and style of cake you want to create).
Alternatively, this recipe will make about 3 1/2 dozen cupcakes, using muffins tins lined with cupcake papers.
Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
Set aside.
Whisk the cocoa and coffee together until smooth (no lumps).
Set aside.
In a large mixer bowl, cream butter (about 1 minute), add oil, beat for one minute.
Add sugars, beat for 10 minutes.
Add eggs, beat 5 minutes.
Add vanilla, beat until blended.
Alternately add coffee and cocoa mixture and dry ingredients into butter mixture, mixing after each addition, making sure to scrape the sides of the bowl often.
Pour into prepared pans.
Bake for about 25 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
If making cupcakes, bake for about 20 minutes.
Spread frosting over layers, and frost entire cake.
Another delicious idea is to melt jam until it's syrup consistency (if using raspberry jam, make sure you strain it!) and brush the tops of the layers with the melted jam before frosting them.

sounds YUMMY! Thank you! hmm wonder what I can subsitute for coffee... I don't have a coffee maker even, don't drink coffee. Suggestions?

Debbie said:
sounds YUMMY! Thank you! hmm wonder what I can subsitute for coffee... I don't have a coffee maker even, don't drink coffee. Suggestions?

Some rum would taste good. You don't need to use the whole amount though.

Debbie,
You can substitute the coffee for decaf instant coffee. 1/2 cup strong freshly brewed coffee equals 1 teaspoon instant coffee in 1/2 cup boiling water.

PDS--thanks for hinking of me. I'm sorry it took me awhile to get here!

Here's my favorite bittersweet chocolate cake:

1 1/3 cups sugar, divided
3/4 cup freshly brewed coffee
7 ounces bittersweet chocolate (62 percent) finely chopped
2/3 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon brandy
3 large eggs, separated plus 3 egg whites
1/3 cup cake flour
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
Chocolate Glaze, recipe follows
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and position rack in the center.
Pour 1/2 -inch water into a large roasting pan and place in oven. Butter the bottom and sides of a 9-inch springform pan. Line the bottom of the pan with a round of parchment paper, cut to fit. Butter the paper. Wrap the outside of the pan tightly with a large piece of heavy-duty aluminum foil.
Put 1 cup of sugar and the coffee in a medium saucepan over a high heat. Bring to boil, stirring occasionally to dissolve sugar. Remove from the heat add the chocolate and return to low heat. Keep stirring over heat until the chocolate is completely melted and the mixture is smooth. Remove from the heat and whisk in the cocoa powder and salt until smooth. Add brandy. Whisk in the egg yolks until no trace of yolk is left. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl and set aside to cool for 10 minutes. Whisk the flour into the chocolate mixture.
In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the 6 egg whites with the cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add the remaining 1/3 cup sugar and beat on high until peaks are almost stiff.
Stir about 1/4 of the egg whites into chocolate mixture (no need to fold at this point). Then gently fold in the remaining whites, 1/3 at a time, until no streaks of white remain. Pour into pan and smooth top. Bake in water bath for 35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out with a few moist crumbs clinging to it. Place cake on wire rack and let cool to room temperature. Remove sides of pan and carefully invert cake onto cardboard cake round or flat plate. Chill for at least 2 hours before glazing. Remove the cake from the refrigerator and place it on a wire rack set over a baking sheet. Pour the chocolate glaze over the cake, covering it completely; spread evenly with a metal spatula. Serve the cake immediately or refrigerate. Bring the cake to room temperature before serving.
Chocolate glaze:
6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons honey
Put chocolate in a medium bowl. In a small saucepan, bring the heavy cream to a gentle boil. Whisk in the honey. Pour the hot cream mixture over the chocolate and let the mixture stand for 30 seconds to melt the chocolate. Whisk the mixture until smooth. Cover the surface of the glaze with plastic wrap and set aside at room temperature for 30 minutes, or until slightly thickened.

good idea about the instant coffee Dina.. I was also thinking maybe some hot chocolate instead of coffee? what do you think?

THANK you PA baker for the recipe also .. LOOKS yummy..

I wonder if the coffee flavor comes out on these chocolate cakes with coffee tho?

Debbie, most of the time the coffe just 'points up' the chocolate flavor, but there is a slight undertone of the coffee in the cake. It's delicious!

Debbie,
Hot chocolate is basically cocoa, sugar and powdered milk. Try the instant coffee, at least a few teaspoons, and you'll be hooked - on the flavor and the caffeine.

Dina, i know this is late, and everyone has probably moved on, but in your moist and rich chocolate cake recipe, what are the extra 2 tsps of butter, listed under the 1/2 cup butter, used for? Is it 1/2 cup butter plus two tsps, or are the two tsps for something separate, like greasing the pans?

Back
Top Bottom