"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 10-31-2014, 10:32 PM   #31
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I have a yellow cake recipe, for a two layer and it is not mix in the pan.

I would just use a white cake recipe for a mix in the pan and add two egg yolks.

Old 11-01-2014, 12:33 PM   #32
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

I think my mom used to make a cake from the fannie farmer cookbook that was a lot like this - and it was my favorite as a kid. The Labor Saving Cake. She made hers in a 10 x 10 pan.

Here's a cool write up about it: Vintage Labor Saving Cake Recipe with Broiled Icing | Bake This Cake!

There's a riff on this cake called a lazy daisy cake and is often served with the same toasted coconut icing.

None of these cakes are mixed in the baking pan. The reason for this is the need to cream butter and eggs with sugar. But all of these can be done in one bowl and are pretty easy.

I found some recipes:

Lazy Daisy Cake - Cheater Chef

Lazy Daisy Cake | Never Enough Thyme — Never Enough Thyme - Recipes with a slight southern accent.

Old 11-01-2014, 01:08 PM   #33
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
bc, I am so glad this subject came up. I presently have two aluminum 8" cake pans. They work fine for me, but I would like to get new ones. Preferably darker ones. So, should I stick with the 8" or go up to the 9"? Most of the cakes I make have a lot of batter. I am going to be making a lemon poppy seed cake with cream cheese frosting and the directions call for a large loaf pan. I want to make it a layer cake. Which pans should I go for?
nine times out of ten I use 8". If you get straight sided pans with 2" sides you'll get a good, thick cake layer. Run of the mill cake pans with slightly sloped sides (they nestle nicely into each other) usually fall short of 2" usually 1 1/2, they are geared toward cake mixes. The Hershey's chocolate cake recipe bakes a nice thick layer in the 8", and it bakes well.

I really prefer silver aluminum uncoated pans for cake, they bake very evenly without over browning. If you want a darker, non-stick pan, look at USA Pans, they are sold at Amazon, Bed Bath and Beyond, and other outlets. They make a line for King Arthur Flour too, they are excellent pans.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 01:10 PM   #34
Certified Pretend Chef

Thanks Janet. I realized early on that a mix-in-pan yellow cake is not feasible for the reasons you stated. Now I'm just looking for a great recipe to add to my repertoire.

I usually make a single layer cake and frost/glaze it. A layer cake it too big and goes stale B4 it gets finished. I'm shooting for a tender, moist and flavorful cake. The Martha recipe I made didn't fill the bill. It's time to move on.

I appreciate the links.
Old 11-01-2014, 01:13 PM   #35
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
... I have great vanilla cake recipes but they are always technique driven...
bakechef, I'd appreciate your sharing your vanilla cake recipe.

Is there a difference between a vanilla cake and a yellow cake or is that just two names for the same thing?
Old 11-01-2014, 01:18 PM   #36
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Thanks Janet. I realized early on that a mix-in-pan yellow cake is not feasible for the reasons you stated. Now I'm just looking for a great recipe to add to my repertoire.

I usually make a single layer cake and frost/glaze it. A layer cake it too big and goes stale B4 it gets finished. I'm shooting for a tender, moist and flavorful cake. The Martha recipe I made didn't fill the bill. It's time to move on.

I appreciate the links.
You can always bake two layers and freeze one, cake freezes very well. You'll have a quick start to a dessert if you need it.

I highly recommend that you try the reverse creaming or "paste" method, it's kind of a backwards way of making cake but produces a light, tender cake and is really EASY to make. I made our wedding cake with this method because of its simplicity, and great texture.

Check this one out.
Plain & Simple Golden Cake | Flourish - King Arthur Flour's blog

Old 11-01-2014, 01:23 PM   #37
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
bakechef, I'd appreciate your sharing your vanilla cake recipe.

Is there a difference between a vanilla cake and a yellow cake or is that just two names for the same thing?
I just use the term vanilla cake to describe yellow cake. Where I work, we have a lot of immigrants from India and other places and they aren't familiar with the term "yellow" cake, so I always describe it as vanilla cake.

The recipe that I posted is similar to mine.

Here is another that I've tried and enjoyed, it has a tighter texture like pound cake, but lighter texture overall.
All-Occasion Downy Yellow Butter Cake Recipe | Epicurious.com

Old 11-01-2014, 01:30 PM   #38
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I'd like add, I use all purpose flour for most of my cakes with good results. The reverse creaming method works well with all purpose since the butter coats the flour and inhibits gluten formation, keeping it tender.

Old 11-01-2014, 01:43 PM   #39
Master Chef

This looks like a good recipe Andy...

The Best One-Bowl Yellow Cake

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 06:30 PM   #40
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I'm using the KA recipe.

Tags
cake, recipe

ISO - One Pan Yellow Cake Recipe I recently posted a chocolate cake recipe, [URL]http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f104/dinner-sunday-2nd-june-2013-a-85786.html#post1271578[/URL] that was, a.) smaller in size to fit into an 8" or 9" square pan and, b) a one pan recipe where you mix the recipe in the baking dish and pop it into the oven. Perfect for a lazy baker like me. I've been searching and cannot find the yellow cake equivalent. Can any of our baking experts offer a helping hand or am I out of luck because "yellow cakes are different"? 3 stars 1 reviews