ISO - One Pan Yellow Cake Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
nine times out of ten I use 8". If you get straight sided pans with 2" sides you'll get a good, thick cake layer. Run of the mill cake pans with slightly sloped sides (they nestle nicely into each other) usually fall short of 2" usually 1 1/2, they are geared toward cake mixes. The Hershey's chocolate cake recipe bakes a nice thick layer in the 8", and it bakes well.

I really prefer silver aluminum uncoated pans for cake, they bake very evenly without over browning. If you want a darker, non-stick pan, look at USA Pans, they are sold at Amazon, Bed Bath and Beyond, and other outlets. They make a line for King Arthur Flour too, they are excellent pans.

Thanks bc. I never thought of the 8" as giving a higher and more even layer. 8" it will be. My present ones are 8" aluminum and serve me well, but I have had them for more than thirty years. They are really showing their age. Dings and Dents galore. But they do have those nice straight sides so that is why I have kept them. Makes frosting the side of the cake so much easier.

I think I will get the 8" straight sides both in a dark set and one that is light. I have found over the years, that when the outside is too dark, it does show up in the taste of the cake.

The Hershey's cake is my go to holiday cake for the family. :angel:

We have some plain aluminum straight-sided cake pans we got from Wilton. They make a fine cake.

SO bought some cake pan bands for her pans. They are soaked in water then wrapped around the outside of the pans before going into the oven. The result is taller cakes with flatter tops.

Andy, someone told me, (I don't remember who) that when you go to smooth the cake batter out, leave a little dent in the middle of the pan. Then the tops come out flatter. I have tried it and it works. Sort of along the line of pressing a hole in the top of your hamburger before you cook it. You don't get that hump. :angel:

We have some plain aluminum straight-sided cake pans we got from Wilton. They make a fine cake.

SO bought some cake pan bands for her pans. They are soaked in water then wrapped around the outside of the pans before going into the oven. The result is taller cakes with flatter tops.

Yes those bands work well. This also wastes less cake since you won't need to level them with a knife.

The Wilton aluminum pans do work well and are easy to get.

Well I went on the hunt. I did see them and they are not expensive at all. But I also came across a site for making your own and how to use it. So I spent my Sunday afternoon using up some materials that I had left from projects. It didn't take me long to run up three (one for just in case...) of the strips. I just have a couple of finishing touches to put on them. I would have had them completed except my body wanted some attention.

I took a bad sugar crash. I had to fight to stay conscious. Scare the hell out of me. That was the worst one I have ever had. It has been a number of years since I had one. All is well now. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom