ISO: Pineapple Upside Down cake in Iron Skillet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maverick2272

Washing Up
I used to have a recipe for an upside down pineapple cake that you made in an iron skillet.
I remember you melted butter and brown sugar in the iron skillet, then added the pineapple, and then poured yellow cake mix over it all before placing in the oven.
Anyone heard of this?

I don't use a cakemix, but here is how I make it (and this is my grandma's recipe - its my favorite but I'm partial)

Skillet Pineapple Upside Down Cake

20 oz can pineapple
1/4 c butter
1/3 sugar
1/3 brown sugar
1 C flour
3/4 C sugar
1 1/2 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
1/4 c shortening (Crisco)
1 egg

Drain the pinapple, reserving 1/2 C of the syrup. Melt 1/4 C butter in a 10" skillet (cast iron). Stir in the 1/3 C sugar and the brown sugar until blended. Arrange pineapple slices on top of sugar mixture, set aside.

Sift together flour, 3/4 C sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Add shortening and 1/2 C reserved pineapple syrup. Beat 2 minutes with an electric mixer at medium speed. Add the egg, beat 2 more minutes. Pour into the skillet.

Bake at 350 for 40 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Invert and cool.

Okay, I found the cake mix one. The recipe tells you to use a cake pan, but I see no reason why you can't adapt it to use a large skillet.

The other homemade cake recipe is from a cookbook, so I'll send it to you via PM.

Enjoy! Here it is:

PINEAPPLE UPSIDE-DOWN CAKE
(Serves 12)

1 (2-layer) pkg. pineapple-flavored cake mix OR yellow cake mix
½ cup butter or margarine
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 (20-oz.) can pineapple slices, drained (reserve juice)
Large red maraschino cherries
Pecan halves, optional

Melt butter in a ungreased 13- x 9- x 2-inch baking dish. Sprinkle brown sugar evenly in pan. Arrange pineapple slices on brown sugar. Place maraschino cherries in center of pineapple slices. Fill in spaces between pineapple rings with pecan halves.

Prepare cake mix according to package directions for basic recipe, substituting most or all of the water with pineapple juice.

Pour batter evenly over fruit in pan. Bake in preheated 350º oven for 43 to 48 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes in pan before inverting onto serving plate.

Thank you both for the recipes! It is one of the kids favorites and I promised them I would make it sometime this week but couldn't find the recipe anywhere. I really need to organize my recipes better, LOL.

Oh I made it last week using yellow cake mix, it was gone in one night! Kids just pigged out on it while we were watching TV, so I am gonna mark that one as a success, LOL.

Ohhh that does sound good! I forgot we sometimes put cherry halves in the pineapple circles. The nuts and whipped cream sounds like a good addition as well.

Back
Top Bottom