ISO recipes for frosting/icing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elaine l

Head Chef
Although I seldom bake, I decided to make a chocolate cake from scratch today. However, I seem to have forgotten how to make frosting or icing for it. It has been that long!

I have cream cheese, butter, sugar, confectioners sugar so I would like a recipe using these. Thanks.

I would stay away from the cream cheese in any icing for a chocolate cake (I'm not fond of chocolate and cheese together. Personal preferance.) Rather, soften 2 sticks of unsalted butter and add to it enough powdered sugar to make a stiff icing. Then, add 1 tsp. vanilla, and either a quarter cup of seedless strawberry or raspeberry jam, or 2 tbs. cocoa powder. Whisk until all is completely combined. Oh, and add 1/2 tsp. of salt. Add an additional 2 tbs. of water and again whisk together until the water is incorporated. The additional water will serve to disolve the sugar granules, giving you the smoothest buttercream icing ever.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Wow I like the idea of adding the raspberry. I love chocolate and raspberry together.

And thanks.

Here's an easy, versitile cream cheese frosting if you decide to go that direction:

1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
1 (8-ounce) block 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened

Combine ingredients in a medium bowl. Beat with a mixer at medium speed until combined. Increase speed to medium-high, and beat until smooth. If it's too thick you can always add a splash of milk. Just be sure to add a tiny bit at a time 'till you get to the consistency you want.

Well I may have ruined my cake with my lazy version of the above posts. I decided to eliminate butter and cream cheese and just went with the sugary icing with raspberry jam mixed in. It has an artificial aftertaste of raspberry. Oh well, I can scrape it off. Thanks anyway all.

I can't remember how my main recipe is from one of my cooking magazines. But, I've grown up to where my mom just made her frostings from scratch without measuring. I do the same thing part of the time. I mix together powdered sugar (about 2 or so cups), Crisco (plain or butter-flavored), vanilla (1/2 to 1 tsp.), & water or milk (enough for spreading consistency). Don't add too much Crisco or it it'll taste greasy or have the strange taste. I use my either size of my serving spoons (that belongs to my silverware set) for the Crisco. The amount I use will depend on how much frosting I make...1 heaping spoonful...nothing too big. I sometimes use margarine in place of the Crisco...usually about 2 or so tablespoons. For chocolate frosting, I use Hershey's instant cocoa mix. Or, the Hershey's chocolate syrup will work too. Just add enough to suite your taste. For flavored frosting, I use about 1/2 to 1 tsp. or more of any flavoring/extract.

Darlene

Here you are:

Ingredients

1 lb. confectioners’ sugar
1/2 C. butter, softened
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 Tbs. genuine vanilla extract

Directions

To make frosting, beat butter and cream cheese together until smooth; beat in vanilla until well-mixed. Gradually add confectioner's sugar until it is all incorporated. Frost cake.

Back
Top Bottom