ISO: reconstruction of "the DREAM cake"...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

urmaniac13

Executive Chef
Once I had a good friend named Steve, he had a brilliant recipe for a very special cake which he named "Steve's dream cake" and it truly lived up to its name... It's been years since I have seen him, unfortunately we lost contact and I have no idea how to get in touch with him now. But the cake, as long as Steve himself lives on in my memory, and I wish I had asked him for the recipe. (At that time I was not adventurous enough a cook to make a cake by myself) I wonder, if I gave the description of the cake, if someone can come up with an idea to recreate this masterpiece??

It was layered, perhaps it could have been called pie instead by some people.
-It had a crushed shortbread base with walnuts mixed in.
-then sliced banana, and crushed pineapple (here memory of the order dims how it was laid out... but the cake had both.
-then cheese cake type filling
-after it is finished and thoroughly chilled, it is served with mounds of whipped cream...

Sounds good, doesn't it?? Now does anyone have any suggestions to transform this drooling idea to a reality?

It sounds like some of the "delight" recipes. We make them in all different flavors. My favorite is blueberry, but at the 4th of July I make them with blueberry on half and cherry on the other half. If it is what I'm thinking about, the crust is made of flour, butter, nuts and pressed into the dish. I put the cheesecake type filling before the fruit, but I've seen it both ways. Some put sugar in the crust mixture, but my recipe doesn't call for that making it a delightful difference between the taste of the filling and the crust. If this isn't what you are thinking about, I hope someone comes up with the right idea.

letscook said:
It sounds alot like the Bannana split cake I make, but it has a cake instead of a shortbread base.
Could that be it?

Banana Split cake... sounds good!! May I please see your recipe??
5.gif

Banana Split cake

1 cake mix prepared as per box and baked on a 9 x13 sheet pan ( i use a Yellow or any your choice
cool cake
Beat together:
1 pkg. Vanilla Instant Pudding,-
8oz cream cheese -
1 1/2 cups milk
Spread on top of cake then layer on top the following in order
2 cups crushed pinneapple well drained
sliced bananas to cover cake(dipped in lemon juice to prevent browning)
2 continers of cool whip
marchino cherries
chopped nuts of your choice (i use walnuts)
refridgerate till all is cilled.

Okay... this gives me a pretty good idea... my biggest Q was whether the entire cake was baked or just the base and the rest was like the no-bake cheese cake. Your recipe follows pretty much the method of the latter, and I'm sure the base can be done with shortbread too, which I have a good idea how to be made... thanx for the clue, letscook!!

That looks really good. The only banana split cake I'd eaten before was the one that was mixed for 15 minutes and wasn't cooked. I'm afraid to eat raw eggs and don't serve them to anyone. This will certainly be made soon.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom