"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 11-25-2012, 11:21 PM   #11
Executive Chef

The company I currently work for make a Red Velvet Artisan flavoring, developed to be a shelf stable substitute for Purée for professional bakers and commercial bakeries. I don't know much about the product, but I'll check with the developer to ascertain if it is coloured red. If it is, it won't be with food colouring because the products are all natural, most are organic, and some are even certified kosher by our own in-house rabbi! I'll let you know tomorrow.

Old 11-26-2012, 05:07 AM   #12
Sous Chef

Morning Chief,
The best I have ever found truly 'luxurious' is a chocolate beetroot cake.It is as moist as carrot cake but obviously dark and rich. You could 'Google' various recipes with ingredients that suit you or I can supply mine. I also make a cream cheese icing which is less rich and easy to eat with so many other delicacies around at these occasions.
You could cut in half or make two and sandwich together with a chocolate Ganache.
Let me know if I can help further

Life is like good wine.......best taken with friends x
menumaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:51 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by letscook
I persoanlly have never been able to understand red velvet cake, Isn't really just a chocolate cake with a whole lot of red food coloring added to it? I have had it a couple of time and even made it once, but I can not get excited about it or see what all the fuss is about. Don't take me wrong Nothing againest it - just don't see the purpose of making a perfectly good cake and then dump a lot of red dye in it just to show a nice color.
To the best of my knowledge rv cake is a buttermilk cake with red coloring. I believe that the small amount of chocolate was originally added to help offset the bitterness of the red color (most of today's red color aren't bitter). There doesn't seem to be a pronounced chocolate flavor in most rv cakes that I've eaten, I've even seen recipes with no chocolate at all.

I've seen recipes for "red devil" cake that were reddish brown from the chemical reaction, but they would never be mistaken for red velvet cakes.

I enjoy the unique flavor of a properly made rv cake when paired with cream cheese frosting.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:57 PM   #14
Executive Chef

You can find the product I was talking about at Amoretti. I know the smallest size listed on the web page is more than you would ever need, but they do sell smaller sizes, i.e. 2 ounce, 4 ounce, 8 ounce, etc. Give one of our customer service people a call and they can answer any questions and provide you with everything you need to know about the product.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:14 PM   #15
Master Chef

This is an old thread, everyone. The red velvet cake was made, and was a hit (see photos on the first page of this thread). It was a cake made for a special purpose. There are so many cakes that DW loves that I probably won't be making another RV cake for a long while.

But, I thank each of you for trying to help. I an certain that there will be others who read this thread an will be thankful for the info, just as I am, or even more so. You guys and gals are the absolute best.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:12 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
The original red velvet cakes did not rely on any food coloring or beets to color the cake.

Acidic ingredients such as vinegar and buttermilk react with the cocoa to create the reddish color. Later, recipes were modified to add food coloring to enhance the color.
I am not sure that there is such kind of reaction between cocoa vinegar and butter milk, that can change brown to red colors.

Tags
cake, food, other