ISO Southern Red Velvet Cake Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you hit the Search button on the blue toolbar, and then go Advanced, type in your keyword (Red Velvet) and then select the forum to search (Desserts and baking) you will find some really good recipes. Here are a few links for you.

Raine's Red Velvet IV

Mama's Red Velvet

Discussion about Red Velvet and why its red.

Hope that helps a bit. Good luck.

Waldorf Astoria Red Velvet Cake

This cake recipe was in my mom's old recipe file box. So, my guess is that it goes back to at least 1951 when she married my father.

Waldorf Astoria Red Velvet Cake

Ingredients:
1/2 cup solid shortening
1-1/2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
2 ounces red food coloring
2 Tablespoons cocoa powder (regular not dutch processed)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 Tablespoon white vinegar
2-1/2 cups cake flour
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon salt (I would use scant)
1 teaspoon baking soda (again I would use scant)

Directions:
Cream shortening, sugar, and vanilla extract. Add 1 egg at a time and beat. Make a paste of the red food coloring and cocoa and add to the sugar mixture. Sift flour and salt. Add flour and buttermilk alternately, beginning and ending with the flour. Combine the vinegar and the baking soda and add to batter. Pour into two 8-inch pans that have been greased and floured and bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes. Test with toothpick. Let cool. Then split each cake into two layers.

Icing:
5 Tablespoons flour
1 cup whole milk
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup sweet butter
1 teaspoon vanilla

Directions:
Cook milk and flour until thick. Let cool. Cream sugar, butter and vanilla until fluffy. Add flour mixture. Beat until light and fluffy. Spread between layers and on top and sides of cake.

Keep the cake refrigerated.

Pie Susan has the real recipe, along with the right icing...and it's the icing that makes the cake. Be sure to let your white sauce cool THOROUGHLY before you beat in the sugar and butter...I'm talking two hours, here. If you don't, the icing will be grainy. That doesn't mean it won't be good...it just won't be perfect.

A little off topic, but I always giggle when I hear red velvet cake...I think of the armadillo cake from the movie Steel Magnolias

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom