ISO Sweet cake without sugar?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi and welcome to DC :)

I don't bake much, but I'm a great googler ;) People with diabetes have to limit their sugar, so those types of sites would be great places to look for low-sugar recipes. Here's one with a long list of cakes: Cooks Recipes | Diabetic/Low-Cal Cake and Cheesecake Recipes at CooksRecipes.com

A lot of low-sugar recipes replace some or all of the sugar with sugar replacements (Splenda, etc.), applesauce and/or fruit juices. Hope this is helpful. I'm sure you'll get more responses from the bakers among us :)

Yes There Is!

Hey supercooker28, I've also been looking for the same type of recipes. I found this great healthy recipe site that has delicious treats but healthy too!

LINK REMOVED

I've tried the chocolate zucchini cake and it is perfect! I would also recommend the carrot cake....mmmm

Hope you enjoy,

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
Being a diabetic, I was often told I had to eliminate as much refined sugar from my diet as possible. So, I went looking for alternative recipes as well. Yuck, they just didnt taste the same or stack up to the real deal, IMHO.

Now my dr. says the key is moderation (no need to have a high sugar desert every single night), and limiting carbs in general not just refined sugar alone. So, by going to a low carb diet, beefing up on fruits and vegetables, eliminating sugar treats like pop and candy and such, and alternating a sugary desert with fruity ones I have had more success managing my blood sugar than by just eliminating 'sugar'.

So, if you are trying to lower your refined sugar intake, in my opinion moderation is far more flavourful than sustitution. Barring that, I would recommend finding recipes that are not modified to reduce the sugar used but rather originally made with less sugar to begin with. Some of my favorite are the more European recipes out there, in my experience they tend to be less 'sugary' but just as sweet in the end ;)

For diabetics controlling blood sugar means considering many factors, not just refined sugar. A diabetic can completely eliminate refinded sugar from thier diet and still not be able to control thier blood sugar. We must also consider 'natural' sugars such as found in fruits as well as carbs in everything from breads to pastas and rice.
A key factor to consider is getting as far away from refined and as close to natural as possible when it comes to both sugar and carbs. The more complex the carb the more it takes to break it down. Think of refined sugar as creating a St. Louis style arch when spiking your blood sugar up as opposed to a complex carb being more like a suspension bridge across a river. Long and low is always better than sharp and high.

thanks Maverick,

I am not diabetic, ive just been reading online that cutting refined white/brown sugar is healthy. I want to try out some no sugar recipes. its easy for most meals, but desserts are all sugars ... maybe ill just have to get rid of them completely or like u said, just in moderation

You are absolutely right, cutting down on refined white/brown sugar is very healthy. But, if you go a day without any pop, sugary juice, candy etc and just have the dessert, thats moderation and also cutting down on the refined sugar.

Its just that when you combine a sugary cereal, sugary juice, pop, candy bar pickme up, etc with the dessert it all adds up to way too much sugar for the day. So, they say to make up a list of all the things that you eat during the course of a normal day that have sugar in them. Then eliminate whatever you can live without, reduce the amount of the rest that you consume, and pick your bigs ones as 'rewards' that are saved for special occasions or at least limited in consumption.
IMHO, its these little changes that will have far more impact on healthy and happier living than the sudden and drastic chances we often attempt. I cant speak for others, but all the big changes I tried before failed, I just couldnt stick with em or adjust to it. But in the last three years I have been making many little changes and see great results. My cholesterol has dropped from 80 over to 47 over, I have dropped 35 pounds, and my blood sugar is now better controlled even with the loss of Avandia to help.

My wifes stepfather is Egyptian, and for him it is actually much more common to have just fruit as a dessert with a sugar dessert being the more rarity. We combined that with a reduction in daily sugar intake to find our balance. We also water down the juice we buy in concentrate form. If it calls for 3 cups water we add 4 or 5 cups. Tastes kinda watery to me but we got used to it and the kids dont even notice it at all, and again it reduced the amount of sugar per serving in the juice.

Sorry for the long replies, I am sure by now the dead horse I was beating is glue, LOL. My wife does say I have a tendancy to go on and on sometimes, but I am working on it!

So that you have a few more variations and choices for desert, you can use sugar-free puddings for pies and add them to cakes and dairy topping...etc. You can also use sugar-free instant oatmeal for making cookies. I have used the instant oatmeal for making bars with marshmallows (like rice krispy treats or granola bars).

Vanilla has some sweetening power and works well in warm beverages. Whole milk is sweeter than 2% and good for unsweetened cereal.

There is no end to sugar-free parfaits. Sugar-free banana pudding is the absolute best. Rootbeer float with diet rootbeer and sugar-free ice cream.
Strawberry shortcake with angel food cake.

As for glazed donuts.....use modesty. :LOL:

is it possible to have a sweet tasting cake without very much sugar in it?

If u are looking for something a bit healthier than sugar then honey or fruit sugar or raw cane sugar.
Or u could try pureed fruit.

Mel

Back
Top Bottom