ISO : The Least 'Tangy' Tasting Cheesecake Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaneohegirlinaz

Wannabe TV Chef
Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
Okay, so I know we talked about Cheesecake before, and each of us has their own favorite recipe.
I want to make a Cheesecake for Christmas to take to our friend's home.
I've never made one before, so this is a first for me, but I'm confidante.

But here's my hitch : My husband doesn't like sour tasting things, nor creamy.
He's had some Cheesecakes that he's like, but I can't remember from where! All I can recall was it was pretty firm.
Now this is all very odd, because he doesn't like cream cheese and he doesn't like sour cream or lemons, but he likes Cheesecake and he likes Lemon Meringue Pie, go figure! I stopped trying to pidgin hole him a long time ago :)

So, I'm reaching out to DC's community for advise. Is it maybe the brand of cream cheese or sour cream, or maybe a recipe that doesn't have the lemon juice with the sour cream and cream cheese?
ARGH!!
HELP!

Awwww Kgirl, I think you're doomed before you start if you're trying to please a man who doesn't like the ingredients in a typical cheesecake!!

Make the best cheesecake you can make, and let the chips fall where they may, or choose a dessert you know he likes. On the other hand, you can pack him up some of his favorite cookies, while the rest of you enjoy the cheesecake!

I don't bake, but we order this every year, and although it's pricey, it's bar none, the finest you'll ever eat!!
https://www.collinstreet.com/online_bakery_gift/white_chocolate_macadamia_cheesecake%5B3%5D?previous_url_id=0

Last edited:
Use full-fat Philadelphia cream cheese, skip the sour cream, and bake in a water bath. If your DH doesn't like it, tough noogies. Cheese cake makes a nice snack!

How about a ricotta cheese cake. I don't think that would be tangy or sour.

Make an Italian cheesecake, which is made with ricotta and mascarpone cheeses.

Here is my recipe for an Italian cheesecake:

Spumoni Italian Cheesecake

Ingredients:

Crust

7oz amaretti cookie snaps
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled

Filling

32 oz ricotta cheese
16 oz mascarpone cheese
1 cup sugar
3 large eggs
¼ tsp salt
4 Tbs flour
½ tsp vanilla extract
1 cup shelled pistachios, divided
2 Tbs Amoretti Premium Crema di Pistachio Syrup
1 cup cherries, chopped
2 Tbs Amoretti Premium Cherry Syrup
1 Tbs corn starch
½ cup cocoa
Instructions:

Crust

Preheat the oven to 350°F

Tightly wrap the bottom and sides of the pan with a double layer of aluminum foil to prevent seepage. Crush the cookies in a food processor. Spray the sides and bottom of the springform pan with cooking spray. Combine the cookie crumbs and the melted butter and evenly disburse and pack down the crumbs in the bottom of the pan. Bake the crust at 350°F for 10 minutes. Place the crust in the refrigerator while you make the filling.

Filling

Place the ricotta cheese in a collander over a bowl and allow to drain for 30 minutes. In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle, mix the ricotta cheese and mascarpone cheese together until light and fluffy. Scrape down the bowl, add the sugar and continue to mix until combined. Continue to beat the mixture as you add the eggs one at a time, add in the salt, the flour and the vanilla extract and continue to beat until completely blended.

Preheat the oven to 350°F.

Divide the filling among three mixing bowls. Put ½ cup of the pistachios in the food processor and pulse until they are the consistency of coarse flour. In one bowl, combine the pistachio flour, the pistachios and the Amoretti Premium Crema di Pistachio Syrup. In the second bowl, fold in the chopped cherries, the Amoretti Premium Cherry Syrup, and 1 Tbs cornstarch. In the third bowl, fold in the cocoa. Place the bowls in the refrigerator for 30 to 45 minutes.

Layer the three fillings carefully into the prepared pan, the chocolate first, then the pistachio, and finally the cherry, making sure not to mix them together. You may want to allow the cheesecake to chill in the refrigerator for an additional 30 minutes between filling additions.

Place a large pan on the middle shelf of your oven, place the springform pan inside the large pan and carefully pour boiling water into the large pan until it is about 1-inch up the sides of the springform pan. Do not go above the aluminum foil.

Bake for 45 minutes. Turn off the oven and allow the cake to sit in the oven 45 minutes longer.
Remove the cake from the larger pan. Run the back (dull) edge of a butter knife between the rim and the cheesecake to loosen it from the pan. Allow the cake to cool for an additional 30 minutes. Carefully remove and discard the aluminum foil, cover the top of the cake loosely with wax paper and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.

When ready to serve, allow the cake to come to room temperature. Unlatch the springform pan and carefully remove the rim. Place the cheesecake, with the springform pan base, on a serving platter. Cut the cheesecake into wedges for serving. This is done best with unflavored dental floss or a long, thin knife heated with boiling water and dried before each cut.

spomoni-cheesecake-550px.jpg

Buon Appetito!

Last edited by a moderator:
New York, firm Cheescake, modified for Kaneohegirlinaz:

Original New York Cheesecake

Dense, rich, and yummy. This cheesecake is my favorite. My whole family loves it. Here’s the recipe.

Ingrediants:

For the crust:
1 ½ cups Graham Cracker Crumbs
6 tbs. Butter
2 tbs. Sugar

For the Filling:
1 lbs. Cream cheese
1 lb, Crem Fresh

¾ cup Sugar
2 large Eggs
1 tsp. Vanilla extract
2 tbs. Cornstarch
1 cup Sour Cream

Preheat the oven to 450’ F.
Combine the crust ingrediants and press into the sides and bottom of a 9-inch springform pan. Place the crust into your freezer for 15 minutes.

Soften the cream cheese in your microwave (Don’t over do it; the cream cheese must be warm, not hot.) and place into a large bowl. Cream in the sugar until everything is smooth. Beat in the remaining ingrediants until all is well blended, smooth and creamy.

Remove the crust from the freezer and pour in the filling. Place in the oven and bake for 10 minutes. Lower the temperature to 200’ F. And bake for an additional 35 minutes. Turn off the heat and crack the oven door. Let the cheesecake cool with the oven for 2 to 3 hours. This will help prevent the custard from cracking.

For a firmer cheesecake, bake at 200’ F. For 45 minutes. My favorite topping on cheesecake is sour cream that has been sweetened with sugar or Sucralose. But you can put virtually any fruit pie filling on top that you want. Cheesecake goes great with apple, pineapple, strawberry, blueberry, cherry, even banana cream. It’s all good.

If you want to get real tricky, line the springform pan with parchment paper and omit the crust. Cook the cheescake, remove the pan sides when all is cool. slide a thin, plastic cutting sheet under the cooked custard and parchment paper, and remove from the pan. Then bake your crust in the same pan.. Fill the crust when done with chocolate or maple fudge, or firm fruit-filling and allow to cool. Then slide the cheesecake custard on top of the bottom filling. You could make this red, white and blue by using strawberries on the bottom, followed by cheesecake, and finally blueberries on top, or use any fillings you want.

For this recipe, I cut the cream cheese in half, and added crem fresh as a substitute for the missing cream cheese. Both the crem fresh, and cream cheese have similar texture, with the former being sweet, rather than sour. For a firmer texture, simply cook the cheesecake until the center is firm, rather that like pudding.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

As my Canadian friends say "soory, eh!" That would be 32oz of ricotta

Crème fraîche can easily be made at home by combining 8oz sour cream with 6oz of whipped unsweetened heavy cream.

Last edited:
EH, mahalos guys, thanks yeah, as we say in Hawaii :)

Just one thing though, DH does not like lemon, or sour cream or anything sour...

I was just watching Martha Stewart's Cooking School on PBS and she made a New York Style Cheesecake that looked pretty good, has anyone tried that recipe before?

And yeah, my other thought is to try an Italian Cheesecake. Again on PBS I was watching Mary Ann Esposito make homemade Ricotta cheese, which is suppose to be superior tasting to store bought...

Last edited:
Awwww Kgirl, I think you're doomed before you start if you're trying to please a man who doesn't like the ingredients in a typical cheesecake!!

Make the best cheesecake you can make, and let the chips fall where they may, or choose a dessert you know he likes. On the other hand, you can pack him up some of his favorite cookies, while the rest of you enjoy the cheesecake!

I don't bake, but we order this every year, and although it's pricey, it's bar none, the finest you'll ever eat!!
https://www.collinstreet.com/online_bakery_gift/white_chocolate_macadamia_cheesecake%5B3%5D?previous_url_id=0

True, true K!
I've been shot down many a time over the years, my hardest fall was trying to make "Jarred Red Peppers" like DH grandmother made... no one knows the recipe and I never got to meet his Nonna...

EH, mahalos guys, thanks yeah, as we say in Hawaii :)

Just one thing though, DH does not like lemon, or sour cream or anything sour...

Did you look at the recipe for turtle cheesecake I posted? There's no lemon or sour cream in it, and the sugar, chocolate ganache and caramel should make it pretty sweet. It's also a beautiful presentation for a holiday dessert.

Make the best cheesecake you can make, and let the chips fall where they may, or choose a dessert you know he likes. On the other hand, you can pack him up some of his favorite cookies, while the rest of you enjoy the cheesecake........

+1!
All these recipes sound so good, but if DH doesn't like cheesecake, he doesn't like cheesecake. Make him what he likes. Save yourself some trouble and expense and make the cheesecake for your friends that you know will love and appreciate it. :) :wub:

Last edited:
Everyone, GG? Au contraire, mon ami. There is just "something" that I don't like about Red Velvet cake flavor. Plus, to me, white chocoate is "meh". Give me the rich, fudgy taste of chocolate chocolate. Dang, now I've given myself a taste-worm. :(

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom