ISO TNT Caramel/Butterscotch Pecan Cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lynan

Sous Chef
the real Southern type! Have recently tried a recipe that called for two layer cakes to be sliced into 3 each, each layer frosted then stacked etc etc et al. It was veeeeeery nice, but I'd much prefer a cake that did not have to rely on frosting for moisture.

And I have to tell ya....I am amazed at the heights of some of these cakes!!
Sacre bleu, this is normal???:rolleyes: :LOL:

Am very interested in the various frostings also. Here in NZ we are pretty lazy when it comes to a frosting. Its usually confectioners sugar, butter, water or juice, your flavouring/colour and a little vanilla, OR it is ganache. :neutral: :chef:

lolol...nope, hardly Jan!:rolleyes: Forgot to do some housework and clear my box and its kinda cleared now.:)

I share your admiration of those tall Southern cakes Lynan! I think they are so beautiful, they make me happy just to look at them, which is just as well I guess, lol. I love experimenting with icing though....my mother, the true Kiwi always makes icing as you describe, but I love making a variety of icings.

Southern cakes are taller than they are round due to all the frosting and fillings....mmmmm. They don't fit in normal cake stands because the cake is taller than the dome.

Lyn, if you don't receive a recipe for the cake you want, I suggest you go to southernliving.com - you will, without a doubt find it there.

The caramel cake much prized by my DH's very southern family is a hot milk cake or a 1234 cake (white tender cakes) with brown sugar caramel icing. It is usually square, layers split in half and very thin layers of caramel icing on the inside and thick on the outside. HMMM now I may have to make one for Thanksgiving.

From Maya Angelou - Hallelujah! The Welcome Table

Caramel Cake

1 stick butter
1 1/4 c. sugar
1/4 c. caramel syrup (recipe follows)
2 c. sifted all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 c. milk
2 large eggs
Caramel frosting (recipe follows)

Preheat oven to 375 f. Line 2 8" layer cake pans with greased wax paper.

In a large mixing bowl beat butter, and add 1 c. sugar gradually until light and fluffy. Beat in syrup.

In a medium mixing bowl sift flour, baking powder, and salt together. Add sifted ingredients to creamed mixture alternating with milk.

In a separate med. mixing bowl, beat eggs about 3 minutes, until foamy. Add remaining sugar, and beat until there is a fine spongy foam. Stir into cake batter until blended.

Divide batter between cake pans. Bake for about 25 minutes. Remove pans from oven. Gently press center of cake with forefinger. Cake should spring back when finger is removed. If it doesn't return to oven for 10 minutes. Cool in pans for 10 minutes. Turn out onto rack, and remove wax paper. Let cakes cool to room temperature before frosting.

To assemble: Center one cooled cake layer on cake plate. Cover top and sides with generous helping of frosting. Place second layer evenly on frosted layer. Repeat frosting procedure. Make certain that sides are completely frosted. Cool in refrigerator until ready to serve.

Caramel Syrup

1 c. white sugar
1 c. boiling water

Heat sugar in heavy skillet over low heat. Stir constantly until melted to a brown liquid. When it bubbles over entire surface, remove from heat. Slowly add boiling water, stirring constantly. Pour into a container and cool.

Caramel Frosting

6 Tbs. butter
one 8 oz package confectioner's sugar
4 Tbs. heavy cream
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
pinch of salt.

Brown butter in a heavy pot over medium heat - be vigilant or it will burn. Allow butter to cool. In a large mixing bowl, mix confectioners' sugar, cream, vanilla extract, and salt to the butter, and beat until smooth. If frosting is too stiff add tablespoon of half-and-half or heavy cream to thin.

We have both the printed cookbook and the CD audio book. The story of this Caramel Cake is beautiful. :)

Sharon, this recipe sounds perfect! Browned butter anything and me go together SO well.:rolleyes: I love sliced tomatos cooked in brown butter with a pinch of sugar and heaps of pepper. Just the thing for breakfast.:cool: And lambs brains with BB and capers.....Im digressing.:neutral:

Will most definitely try this cake, and great to know its from Maya. A wonderful lady.

Thanks!

Thanks Jean for the link, I have some neat ideas from that site!

I love browned butter too. We had friends from NZ that we'd go camping with - Janice always made the tomatoes in brown butter in the AM. They were so good - better than hash browns come to think of it.
:):)

I think Maya Angelou is the most amazing woman - the cookbook is full of stories that are a delight - I really enjoy listening to the cd version!:)

I could listen to her all day long - there's something soothing - like Mom reading you a story.

From her book: "After dinner the first night we sat on the floor and read poetry. Her (Oprah Winfrey) delight in the beauty of the spoken word pleased me. I told her that all poetry was musci written for the human voice. We recited long into the night."

:):)

I was lucky to see her twice - once in Illinois and once at school in Santa Rosa - in those days, her son was always with her. I don't know what about her thrills me the most, her wonderful voice or that beautiful, expressive face and grin....but then there is her from-her-feet-laugh!! What a treasure.

Back
Top Bottom