ISO TNT recipe and tips for Tres Leches (milk cake)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maverick2272

Washing Up
We get this from the Mexican baker down the street and it is great, but I want to try and make it myself. Only thing is, I am a beginner at baking and I already know from another thread that if you do it wrong the cake will be too soggy or too dry.
Does anyone have any experience make this cake or a simular cake like it? Here is a recipe I found, but if any one has their own TNT version or if you just have some tips and suggestions on it that would be great:
Tres Leches (Milk Cake) - Allrecipes

Thanks in advance!

My version of a Coconut Tres Leche - very simple

This is my own recipe that allows me to make a very quick and VERY GOOD dessert the night before. Its always a crowd pleasure. Let me know if you make it and enjoy it. If you love coconut, it will taste better than where you currently get it from. Nobody that I have seen does tres leche with coconut milk. It makes a HUGE difference in flavor.

[FONT=&quot]Coconut Tres Leche Cake[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Cake :[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Yellow Cake Mix (I use Duncan Hines)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Milk Mixture :[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 can Evaporated Milk[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 can Condensed Milk[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 can Coconut Milk (or substitute with whole milk)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 teaspoon vanilla[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Meringue Frosting :[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 ½ cup heavy whipping cream[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 cup (or less if you want less sweet) sugar[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 teaspoon vanilla extract[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 teaspoon coconut extract (imitation from the supermarket tastes surpisingly good)
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Make the cake mix as normal. Let the cake cool completely. After its cooled poke 16 or so holes in the cake with a fork to allow the milk mixture to seep in when its poured over the cake. Combine and mix the milk mixture. Put the cooled cake into a larger cake pan or container so you can pour the milk and have some gather in the pan around the sides. Pour it over the cake until it goes up the cake about 1/3 of the way on the side. Save any extra milk mixture to use when serving. Combine and mix the meringue ingredients. Blend until it has peaks (like whipped cream). Frost the top of the cake and put in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours but preferably overnight. Serve cold. When serving, cut the cake and put the piece onto a saucer and pour some milk mixture onto the saucer for dipping the cake as you eat it.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Tres Leches Cake is muy rico (yummy). I have used that same recipe many times, Buddy and it turns out great. I would definitely make the cake from scratch, because it needs to be a substantive cake to stand up to the milk. And don't worry if the milk doesn't all absorb right away. After it sits in the fridge for awhile, the cake acts just like a sponge and soaks it all up. One change I have made - I don't use as much sugar in the whipped cream frosting as they suggest. I think it tastes better with alot less.

After I moved to Mexico and ate tres leches cake here, I became really puzzled, because all the tres leches cake I've had from bakeries here is slightly diferent. It is not baked as a sheet cake, but is presented as a layer cake, usually with fruity filling between the layers, like raspberry or strawberry preserves. I haven't figured out how they do that, i.e., soaking the cake and also stacking it in layers. If I ever figure it out, I'll let you know. In the meantime, enjoy the cake. It is absolutely wonderful.

I agree the cake needs to be not so spongy and have some girth to it (don't know how else to describe it). However, I have done it with the Duncan Hines regular cake mix and it was very good. I was looking to make the recipe as quick as possible and found that mix to be a very good replacement than doing it all from scratch.

I agree, its a very good recipe.

Well I am not above using a cake mix, LOL. But the one at the bakery was white so I was thinking a white cake mix.

Yes traditionally its a white cake mix. I think either is just as good. I just prefer the color so its not all white.

That frosting recipe I wrote above, I also use that for dipping with strawberries.

I had tried doing this as a cupcake and I can tell you its not the same. I also saw in NY there is a tres leche donut. I have no idea what it tastes like but would love to try one someday when I am down there.

Hey Mav... Alton Brown did one on his show once. It looked wonderful. Check out Food TV for his recipe.

Good luck!! And send Paul and I a slice.

Yea, that should make it thru the postal service in one piece!:LOL:

I will have to check FN and see what he did, thanks!

I had seen that episode and much of what I created started from that (although I didn't deviate much). I did find that a regular box cake from certain brands were OK while others weren't. Then I replaced the whole milk with the coconut milk. Also added coconut flavoring to the whipped topping to add to the coconut theme.

We love coconut so that would be an added bonus!... I wonder if there would be a way to use coconut rum?

If you could get it mixed into the tres leche part of the recipe, I'd think that is where it would fit best. You pour that over your cake, then let it sit overnight and the next night its party time! Who needs a jello shot when you have a tres leche cake!

Tres Leches Cake is muy rico (yummy). I have used that same recipe many times, Buddy and it turns out great. I would definitely make the cake from scratch, because it needs to be a substantive cake to stand up to the milk. And don't worry if the milk doesn't all absorb right away. After it sits in the fridge for awhile, the cake acts just like a sponge and soaks it all up. One change I have made - I don't use as much sugar in the whipped cream frosting as they suggest. I think it tastes better with alot less.

After I moved to Mexico and ate tres leches cake here, I became really puzzled, because all the tres leches cake I've had from bakeries here is slightly diferent. It is not baked as a sheet cake, but is presented as a layer cake, usually with fruity filling between the layers, like raspberry or strawberry preserves. I haven't figured out how they do that, i.e., soaking the cake and also stacking it in layers. If I ever figure it out, I'll let you know. In the meantime, enjoy the cake. It is absolutely wonderful.

I imagine it is done one layer at a time. Adding the tres leche first layer, then the preserves, cake on top, then the tres leche etc....Then, it must be refrigerated to soak and meld the flavors.

The Miami Herald claims it is a Nicaraguan dessert and it is one of their most requested recipes. It is very similar to the one in Gooey Desserts. Although Elaine adds variations--strawberries caramel etc.

I am sure you could find the book in the library or online somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom