ISO Ukrainian poppy seed cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kmoe

Assistant Cook
Hello all. I am wondering if anyone has this recipe from Mollie Katzen's Moosewood cookbook. I am living abroad, and my book is in storage. I am craving it!
thanks,
katherine:)

Ukranian Lemon Poppy Seed Cake

from Moosewood Cookbook by Molly Katzen (15th anniversary Edition)
Ingredients:

3/4 cup poppy seeds
1 cup milk
butter or margarine for the pans
plus 1/2 lb (2 sticks) butter or margarine
1 cup sugar (white or light brown)
3 eggs
2 cups flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 Tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp lemon rind

Directions:

Place poppy seeds and milk in a small saucepan. Heat just to the boiling point, but remove from heat before it actually boils (this is called scalding). Set aside and allow to cool for at least 15 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Butter a 10 inch tube or bundt pan.

Cream the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each.

Sift together the dry ingredients in a separate bowl. Add this to the butter mixture alternately with the poppy seed-milk, beginning and ending with the dry mixture. Stir just enough to blend thoroughly, adding the vanilla, lemon juice and lemon rind at the end.

Spread the batter into the prepared pan, and bake for about 40 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes, then invert onto a plate. Allow to cool completely before adding the orange glaze and/or slicing.

Orange Glaze
1/2 cup orange juice
1 to 2 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp Lemon juice
2-3 Tbsp dry sherry or orange liqueur (optional)

Combine the ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer uncovered for about 3 minutes. Pour the hot glaze onto the cooled cake. Let stand at least 10 minutes before slicing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom