"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 01-13-2009, 06:31 PM   #21
Head Chef

It has also been compared to the pineapple coconut Southern Hummingbird Cake.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:33 PM   #22
Head Chef

Or this with almonds:
Delice Desserts: Italian Cream Cake

Old 01-13-2009, 06:34 PM   #23
Head Chef

For those interested, there are chocolate and orange versions, too.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:36 PM   #24
Head Chef

Here, it is also called Delmonico Cake but it doesn't say why:
Italian Cream Cake (also known as Delmonico Cake) | ajc.com
Old 01-13-2009, 06:41 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PieSusan View Post
Uncle Bob, this link told me two things:
Cooks Illustrated Bulletin Board: ITALIAN CREAM CAKE - View Post

It is either a recipe from from the Alps (almost Austrian) near where Italy and the Alps share similarities

or

A food writer said that it is probably an American invention and noted that it was first found in Dallas, Texas post-WWII. However, she was not sure.

The plot thickens. I love learning this kind of history!
Well, I am an amateur sleuth --- However there is a reference in the link of a Cream Cake maybe of Italian origin in the thread. I don't doubt the existence of Italian Cream Cake(s), and I don't think the poster is referring to the cake in question here in that post -- Later in the thread there is a recipe that is "classic" internet, cookbook fair for the ICC - It is this cake that I question being Italian in origin.

As far the "food writer's comment...I think she/he has the cake in question (ICC) confused with the German's Chocolate Cake that is widely reported, and accepted, to have come out of a Texas (Dallas?) newspaper around 1957.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:51 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Miss Susan...I am familiar with most of the links you provided, but unless I'm mistaken none of them can categorically state with any degree of certainty the Origin of the cake as being Italian. Delmonico Cake? --- I'm familiar with that one too!

Old 01-13-2009, 06:53 PM   #27
Head Chef

I know!!!! I searched through 25 pages of links and still have not found a definitive answer. I think that I am done for now.

I was hoping that one of the pastry chefs here would know. It is striking how it is similar to the Hummingbird Cake which I do know.

How is a Delmonico cake similar, Uncle Bob?
Old 01-13-2009, 07:02 PM   #28
Master Chef

Are you sure?? LOL. I can relate, sometimes you get into investigating something and the more you learn the more you wonder....
Who knows, maybe originally it was just a Italian Butter cream Frosting Cake with Pecans and later got shortened to an Italian Butter Cream Cake and then later to an Italian Cream Cake and then snazzed up to Italian Creme Cake....
Now, if you solve this one... I have some questions about what happened to the dinosaurs!!
Old 01-13-2009, 07:08 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PieSusan View Post
I know!!!! I searched through 25 pages of links and still have not found a definitive answer. I think that I am done for now.

I was hoping that one of the pastry chefs here would know. It is striking how it is similar to the Hummingbird Cake which I do know.

How is a Delmonico cake similar, Uncle Bob?
I'm hoping Miss Queen-Guinevere will chime back in with her definitive information, as well as an "authentic" recipe.

The Delmonico has the same ingredients as the ICC. Same cake -- different moniker

Old 01-13-2009, 09:55 PM   #30
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
Are you sure?? LOL. I can relate, sometimes you get into investigating something and the more you learn the more you wonder....
Who knows, maybe originally it was just a Italian Butter cream Frosting Cake with Pecans and later got shortened to an Italian Butter Cream Cake and then later to an Italian Cream Cake and then snazzed up to Italian Creme Cake....
Now, if you solve this one... I have some questions about what happened to the dinosaurs!!
lol, I was trained in law school how to research issues and I guess that I have internalized it so much that I use the same techniques whenever I have a question. I was always good at research and writing; I use to be a legal editor. I also have an insatiable curiosity about these sorts of dessert issues. I was hoping that one of the professional chefs might know the answer but it seems to be a mystery yet unsolved on the Internet.

Edited to add:
Now you can imagine how I am when I am searching for an odd ingredient or piece of bakeware. It becomes my quest for the latest grail.

My friend, Andy use to play this game with another chef. They would try to stump each other with what were the ingredients in obscure dishes from centuries ago. Often I would join in the fun when it was a dessert question.

Tags
None