"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 11-30-2010, 03:24 PM   #1
Certified Cake Maniac

It's a Piece of Cake!

Literally! And many of them!

Okay, I have a fun one (I hope). Most of you know I am a cake decorator by trade. One of the things I constantly run into with carved cake is I end up with tons of scraps. I have to be careful around sugar and chocolate, DH is gluten and lactose intolerant and Dad is a diabetic. I usually end up throwing out the scraps, but I was wondering if we could come up with some ideas for using them.

I am talking about large but very thin pieces and small scraps about 2 x 3 x 1.

Now, I know about trifles and dirt cake, etc. But does anyone have any unique ways I can use this cake and give it away? Let's have fun with this one, if I end up throwing it out (minus the two trifles I will make over the holidays), that is cool, but I thought I would ask.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:14 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

When SO trims a cake, I help by eating the scraps as she trims them off. We believe in cleaning up as you go.

Sorry I can't be of any real help.

Old 11-30-2010, 04:25 PM   #3
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
When SO trims a cake, I help by eating the scraps as she trims them off. We believe in cleaning up as you go.

Sorry I can't be of any real help.
Believe me, the two men in my life would love to take on the job of cleaning up; however, as it would make them both sick, I throw trimmings into freezer bags and drop them in my work freezer (they don't go in there) asap.

So, maybe I can just send these bags to you then? Just because you seem sorry that you can't help.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:33 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Toss in some of your leftover frosting too. I'll find an environmentally friendly way to dispose of them.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:37 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Go to the Post Office...get a big box....fill it up with your scraps....mail it to Uncle Bob...I have many braves, with many arrows to feed!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:49 PM   #6
Master Chef

Dry the cake leftovers. Crumbel 0.5 kg of cake, add some rum or cogniac, just for flavor. Add some butter and milk till you are bale to mix and make a ball or is it boll, or bowl, why can't you people have different words for some balls .

Like about a half a stick of butter and maybe a cup of milk. Or you can use sweetened condenced milk instead. The roll them things (whatever they are called in propar English ) in dark cocoa powder, chill in refrigerator for an hour sprinkle with some powder sugar serve. Yum. The imprtant thing is the proportion of crumbs and liquid. And tha I never know, because some times I use plain bread crumbs for this no-bake sweet thing, in Russian we call it potato, becasue that is what it looks like. Depending on the consistency of your crumbs you will have to figure out amount of liquid, which works as a glue, so to speak.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:01 PM   #7
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Put them in the freezer. When you go to a function where you are supposed to bring dessert, put them in a pretty dish. Make your favorite flavor of Jello and pour over the cake bits (Right before the Jello, you could add canned pineapple chunks, fruit cocktail, sliced bananas, etc.). Spread whipped cream or Cool Whip over the top, after the Jello has set, then head to the potluck. I did this with frozen Twinkies once (just for the family).

Barbara
Old 11-30-2010, 06:23 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Use the thicker ones for trifle.

Let the thinner ones dry and use the crumbs for crusts for pie or cheese cake.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:04 PM   #9
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Stack the layers with some frosting or ganach between the layers to be about 1" tall. Cut them using those open metal cookie cutters, then frost or decorate.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:53 AM   #10
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Frost, stack, decorate and present to a chosen classroom at the nearest elementary school for their morning treat!

Tags
None