"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes
Old 12-14-2015, 06:06 PM   #11
Certifiable Executive Chef
Site Administrator
The recipe you linked to looks a little odd to me. it's basically a white cake with the berries added as far as I can tell.

The proportions are somewhat skewed imo. You might try reading other white cake recipes to compare... but this one looks like there are not enough eggs and too much liquid.

Take a look at this one as an example.. Vanilla Trifle Cake Recipe | King Arthur Flour

Forget love... I'd rather fall in chocolate!
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 02:17 PM   #12
Assistant Cook
Well, here we are, trying a third time.

I allowed the cold ingredients to warm for 2-3 hours.

Using a hand mixer on low speed, I creamed the butter with the sugar first.

I added the eggs slowly.

Mixing by hand with a wooden spoon, I alternated sour cream, milk and flour.

I added the cranberries.

The batter looks really thick, just like before. It doesn't flatten out when poured, the way store bought mixes do. Still, it feels a little lighter.

I put two pans in the oven, instead of three.

I may cook it longer than the recommended 40 minutes, because that might be for just one pan?

It would be nice if this worked for Christmas dinner.

woebegone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 02:29 PM   #13
Senior Cook
Albert Einstein's quote comes to mind.
GA Home Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 03:52 PM   #14
Assistant Cook
Which one?

It does not rise as expected. These are 8" pans, one and a half inches deep; the batter never rises above the tops of the pans. I'm not the first to notice that the cake ends up unusually dense; there's a host of comments on the site questioning the directions for the very same reason.

It is lighter this time than the last two times, but until I cut it open, I won't know if it is what I wanted. Do I bother creating the icing?

I wish an expert would look over the recipe. She swears it's great. I've seen similar recipes for the same cake, but the ingredient volumes always differ.

I did watch a video of someone preparing a nearly identical batter, but without the fruit. He added the egg yokes to the batter, and whipped the whites together with some sugar to make something similar to a meringue, which he then added back into the batter. His cakes were clearly dense, but still very "cake-like"—plenty of air.

The ones I've made have been largely devoid of air.
Old 12-24-2015, 08:00 PM   #15
Assistant Cook
Well, there was no Play-Dough in the cake this time!

While it wasn't the light & fluffy boxed bake I'm used to, it was entirely fine. And that was after leaving out a quarter cup of butter.

A chef friend suggested using cake flower, unsalted butter (with a separate 1/8 tsp of salt), and a bit more milk.

For the icing, I cut back to 6 cups of powdered sugar, as the previous batches were so hard and dry. But 6 cups proved a bit soft. Like Goldilocks, I'll keep going until it's just right.

cake, cakes, eggs, flour, recipe, sugar

I've made two bad cakes now.... I tried to make [URL="http://www.lifeloveandsugar.com/2014/12/08/sparkling-cranberry-white-chocolate-cake/"]this cake[/URL] for my daughter's birthday. Twice, now. Both times I had a cake that would not rise and icing that was too dry and hard to spread. I know nothing about baking a cake. I've always used the retail mixes. But she wanted this really bad. If someone could take a look at the recipe, I'd be much obliged. It's a ways down the page, toward the end. Perhaps I needed baking soda, instead of baking powder? Or there's a typo no one caught? I don't know how to operate a mixer? I think the icing just needs a bit more cream with 8 cups of powdered sugar. Or just two cups less. Please help! 3 stars 1 reviews