"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 12-12-2015, 12:18 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

I've made two bad cakes now....

I tried to make this cake for my daughter's birthday. Twice, now. Both times I had a cake that would not rise and icing that was too dry and hard to spread.

I know nothing about baking a cake. I've always used the retail mixes. But she wanted this really bad.

If someone could take a look at the recipe, I'd be much obliged. It's a ways down the page, toward the end.

Perhaps I needed baking soda, instead of baking powder? Or there's a typo no one caught? I don't know how to operate a mixer?

I think the icing just needs a bit more cream with 8 cups of powdered sugar. Or just two cups less.

Please help!

Old 12-12-2015, 06:01 AM   #2
Head Chef

Are you opening the oven door to see if it is ready before time? If you open the oven door too soon (when the cake is still quite liquidy in the centre) this can make the cake sink.

Also re. the cream. Are you whipping it up stiff? It says to use heavy whipping cream but that does not mean for it to be whipped up first.

Old 12-12-2015, 07:37 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

I opened the oven enough to check if the cakes were rising, a few minutes before turning it off. They rose a little, but not like a store-bought mix.

Maybe I forgot the milk.

I did not whip the cream, because I didn't read that in the instructions. With the measurements listed, the frosting was too dry to spread or stick to the cake. I had to add more cream to get it working. Even then, it was a bear to spread. I don't have the experience to get it right just yet.
Old 12-12-2015, 09:06 AM   #4
Head Chef

A homemade from scratch cake is not going to have the same texture as or act like a store-bought mix ever. It's like comparing apples and oranges. But, with that said, first, check the expiration date on your baking powder and get new if its expired or even close. Also, with the cranberries in the cake, it's not going to rise as high as if they weren't there, that's just a fact of life with any kind of fruit or other dense things in cake batter. Also, she makes mention specifically of mixing just enough to combine and be smooth. So, since you don't usually make scratch cakes there's a good chance you over-mixed it. Make sure too that everything is room temp, even the eggs,sour cream and milk. It will mix better.

As far as frosting, again, room temp on the butter and cream. Cold cream will cause the butter and chocolate mixture to tighten up. Although 8-9 cups of powdered sugar does seem a lot to me for the rest of the amounts, it does say to add more cream if needed. Did you add more than the recipe called for? When I make icing from scratch, I sometimes have to add more liquid than the original recipe amount. Make sure too that you are not letting the ganache sit for any significant length of time past what is called for, as it will continue to thicken as it cools.

Alternatively, you could try this:
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/176581/...-wedding-cake/ use all vanilla instead of almond and vanilla
or this:
http://cakejournal.com/recipes/white...m-cake-recipe/

and just add in the cranberries. It might be easier for you.
Old 12-12-2015, 09:07 AM   #5
Everymom

Woebegone, I think the method described might be the issue. Rather than trying to add the wet ingredients to the dry ones try this.

Mix the dry ingredients together in one bowl. In a larger bowl: Cream the butter and sugar together, then add the eggs one at a time beating thoroughly after each to incorporate. Then alternate the flour and the sour cream and milk. Some flour first, then the sour cream, then the flour and the last of the sour cream. Then finish the cake as per the original instructions. Be careful not to overbake. Good luck. Post pictures when you're done!
Old 12-12-2015, 11:07 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Buy a Duncan Hines or Betty Crocker white cake mix and a bag of whole frozen cranberries. If you put the cranberries in frozen, baking will thaw them out but they won't 'bleed' into the white cake.

Also buy a large can of white frosting and beat in a little bit of milk to improve the spreading consistency.
Old 12-14-2015, 06:24 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

I appreciate the responses. I can only hope the last one is a joke....

I bought new baking powder for this cake. When I say it didn't rise, it really didn't rise. It only appeared to rise when hot, but collapsed as soon as the heat was turned off. Cutting into the "cake," parts had the look and consistency of Play-Dough. It was nasty. I took one bite and threw the whole thing in the trash.

I mixed the cake batter in our heavy duty KitchenAid mixer. Should it have been done by hand?

I used a hand-mixer on the icing, but will not do that again; I think it's too heavy for a hand mixer. I used the KitchenAid mixer when I made buttercream icing a while back, and that turned out great.

Yes, I could soften the icing by adding more cream at the end. In fact, I had to—it wouldn't spread or stick to the cake, otherwise. I will allow the cream to warm up nest time. The icing does harden as it sits on the cake; I thought that was kinda weird.

I will try a third time this coming weekend:

You guys are telling me to leave the butter, sour cream, eggs, heavy cream, and milk out for a few hours, right?

I don't understand what over-mixing looks like or what it does to a cake, so there's surely a chance I did it. I remember mixing to get rid of pieces of butter in the batter. I could try mixing the cake batter by hand, if that will help. Separating the ingredients according to Alix, above, sounds really smart.

I will not forget anything this next time. Hopefully, I'll even have adult supervision (my wife).

I just can't let this cake beat me!
Old 12-14-2015, 06:34 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

If you've followed the recipe three times and the results are bad, it's time to look for a different recipe.
Old 12-14-2015, 06:51 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
If you've followed the recipe three times and the results are bad, it's time to look for a different recipe.
This is the first time I've ever tried to make the whole cake from scratch. It's an art form requiring real experience. I should not have expected to simply read the instructions and succeed.

I found a description of cake mixing methods. Which one works best for this type of cake? It's a "butter cake," right?
Old 12-14-2015, 06:59 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I have to agree with Andy. Check out some tried-and-true cakes, like the one on the back of the Hershey's cocoa can. Good luck!

Tags
cake, cakes, eggs, flour, recipe, sugar

I've made two bad cakes now.... I tried to make [URL="http://www.lifeloveandsugar.com/2014/12/08/sparkling-cranberry-white-chocolate-cake/"]this cake[/URL] for my daughter's birthday. Twice, now. Both times I had a cake that would not rise and icing that was too dry and hard to spread. I know nothing about baking a cake. I've always used the retail mixes. But she wanted this really bad. If someone could take a look at the recipe, I'd be much obliged. It's a ways down the page, toward the end. Perhaps I needed baking soda, instead of baking powder? Or there's a typo no one caught? I don't know how to operate a mixer? I think the icing just needs a bit more cream with 8 cups of powdered sugar. Or just two cups less. Please help! 3 stars 1 reviews