Jewish Apple Cake help needed!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

koke

Assistant Cook
Hi everyone,I am a new member and I hope someone can help me out here. I have a great Jewish Apple Cake recipe but it needs to bake for a full 90 min. The apples on top always get very brown almost to the point of looking burnt.But,they do not taste burnt,only look that way.Since, I volunteered to make a Jewish Apple Cake for a Baby shower,I would like those apples on top not to look so dark.Thanks,Koke

You could try covering the pan with foil til the last half hour or so, or try lowering the heat in the oven a little. Why does the cake need 90 minutes - eek! - to cook? Have you checked to see if the cake is done before 90 minutes? Or - if the apples have been coated/covered with sugar or honey, that will make them burn.

If you could post the recipe, it might help us figure this out!

My apple cake also takes 90 minutes.
Koke, cover your cake loosely with foil until the last 20-30 minutes, then remove and let the top brown a little. It will work great.
Are you going to drizzle a little powdered sugar glaze over the top? Or struesel topping?

Jewish Apple Cake help needed!!

Thanks for your replies.Here is my recipe:
3 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp.salt
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
2 cups white sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
5 large eggs
1/4 cup orange juice
2 tsp.vanilla extract
3 apples,peeled,cored and sliced
2 tsp.ground cinnamon
5 teaspoons white sugar
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour one 10 inch tube pan.Combine the ground cinnamom and 5 teaspoons of the sugar and set aside.In a large mixing bowl,combine the flour,salt,baking powder and 2 cups of sugar.Stir in vegetable oil,beaten eggs,orange juice and vanilla.Mix well.Pour 1/2 batter into prepared pan.Top with 1/2 apples and 1/2 cinammon and sugar mixture.Pour remaining batter on top and then top with the rest of the apples and cinammon sugar mixture.Bake 70-90 minutes.
***I had to do some adjusting to this recipe as follows:
I added an extra 1/8 cup of OJ
A little more oil
*** The batter was like a cookie dough until I added the above.It was still a thick consistency but I gave it a try anyway,then I checked to see if it was done after 45 min.then 55 min.,then 65 min.,then 70 min.,(apples on top started to get brown) then 80 min. (batter still comes out on the knife) ,then the full 90 min.,(finally it was done!) I have made this recipe about 10 times and although the apples get very brown they are soft,not burnt crisp. After taking the cake out of the tube pan ,the cake is browner than I would have liked BUT even that doesn't taste burnt.I have tasted some Jewish Apple Cakes that I didn't like the brown because it was actually a little hard and tasted burnt.But,this cake is absolutle great! If you like a "heavy" cake(my hubby doesn't like cakes that melt as soon as you put a bite in your mouth!)this cake is for you.I cannot praise this cake enough except for the browning of the apples but Thanks to all of you,hopefully that problem will be corrected.I hope someone tries this recipe and lets me know how it turns out.........Enjoy,Koke

Jewish Apple cake help needed !!

Forgot to mention NOT to use an electric mixture to mix the batter.....Koke

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom