"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes
Old 01-02-2010, 11:10 AM   #1
Senior Cook
Judie’s Big Pound Cake

I haven't made this cake in a long time and was looking for something to make for new years dinner when I came across the old recipe. It's a great cake so I thought I'd share.

Judie’s Big Pound Cake

3 c. sugar
3 c. flour
6 eggs
2 sticks butter (softened)
1/2 c. shortening
1 c. milk
1-1/2 teaspoons almond extract(I leave out the almond and increase the vanilla to 1 tablespoon...I don't like almond extract)
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla
3 tsp. baking powder

Place all ingredients in a LARGE bowl .....
Beat 5 minutes on high speed
Pour batter into large tube or bunt pan (WELL greased) (OR 1/2 sheet pan)Bake 350 for 45 minutes - 1 hour (until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean)

Allow to cool in pan until luke warm. Once removed from the pan, I let it sit on a wire rack and cover the whole thing with a heavy towel, till the next day ... This allows the "crunch" to form. If you flip it onto a plate or serving platter right away, the part that *was* the top (open end of pan) can get soggy.
Dust with powdered sugar

The pan I prefer to use most often (for a Bundt)is an old Nordic Ware 14 cup capacity, very big & VERY heavy. It was my Grandmothers, I don't even think they make it anymore.

It fits perfectly in a 1/2 sheet pan.

As far as the texture ... The best way I can describe it is "velvety" and rich. The top (open end of pan) gets the most delicious crispy little "crunch".

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" - George Orwell.

"What we do, more than anything we say, reveals what we truly value the most." - An Unknown Soldier
BettyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:18 PM   #2
Master Chef
Looks yummy, thank you for sharing. Love the idea of getting the crunch on the outside.
getoutamykitchen is offline   Reply With Quote