Katie's Black Devil's Food Cake TNT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katie H

Site Moderator
Staff member
I live in the Heartland of the United States
Sorry, BettyR, I promised I'd post this several days ago, but time got away from me. Here's the chocolate cake recipe I told you about:

KATIE’S BLACK DEVIL’S FOOD CAKE
(Serves 10 to 12)​
2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1¾ cup granulated sugar
½ cup cocoa
½ tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. baking soda
1 egg
2/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup buttermilk or sour milk
1 cup boiling strong coffee

Grease and flour one 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan. Set aside.

Sift dry ingredients into a large bowl. Add egg, oil and milk and stir until well blended. Gently stir boiling coffee into mixture. This will make a very thin batter. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 50 minutes. Frost as desired or serve dusted with powdered sugar. Note: To make sour milk, stir 1 tablespoon lemon juice into 1 cup milk. Let stand a few minutes to allow the milk to curdle.

Enjoy!

Oh Katie this looks luscious. I may have to make this today. I have a cup of buttermilk I need to use up.

Thats how I like them! Thanks again Katie. I may incorporate this cake into my famous chocolate torte if it works out well.

Sorry, BettyR, I promised I'd post this several days ago, but time got away from me. Here's the chocolate cake recipe I told you about:

KATIE’S BLACK DEVIL’S FOOD CAKE
(Serves 10 to 12)​
2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1¾ cup granulated sugar
½ cup cocoa
½ tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. baking soda
1 egg
2/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup buttermilk or sour milk
1 cup boiling strong coffee

Grease and flour one 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan. Set aside.

Sift dry ingredients into a large bowl. Add egg, oil and milk and stir until well blended. Gently stir boiling coffee into mixture. This will make a very thin batter. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 50 minutes. Frost as desired or serve dusted with powdered sugar. Note: To make sour milk, stir 1 tablespoon lemon juice into 1 cup milk. Let stand a few minutes to allow the milk to curdle.

Enjoy!

Thank you!! My son is asking for another one of those chocolate cakes, I'm going to give this one a try.

Thanks for the recipe.

Anyone making this cake for the first time, it is wonderful..My family just loves it. We serve it with just a dusting of powdered sugar...
when it is all put together before baking, it will look watery, don't think you did something wrong, pop it in the oven and bake, and be prepared to not want to share it:LOL: It is the BEST!
kadesma

This may be our Labor Day dessert. We still have triple chocolate ice cream and the kids would love all that chocolate. They can all go home right after dessert.

I made the cake Monday and topped it with fresh peaches and whipping cream. It was absolutely delicious. Thanks for the recipe Katie.

Last edited:
I love chocolate cake and that one sounds so good. Does it have to be buttermilk or sour milk? I could whip it up right now if it wasn't for that.

Yes, elaine, it does need either buttermilk or sour milk. Don't you have any milk at all? All you need is a cup of milk and a tablespoon of lemon juice and you'll have sour milk. Or your could go to your neighbor with an empty measuring cup and a sad look on your face and borrow a cup of milk.

Well ya learn something new everyday Katie. I do have milk and lemons. So I guess you could say I have sour milk! Thanks.

Yes, elaine, it does need either buttermilk or sour milk. Don't you have any milk at all? All you need is a cup of milk and a tablespoon of lemon juice and you'll have sour milk. Or your could go to your neighbor with an empty measuring cup and a sad look on your face and borrow a cup of milk.

If you don't have any lemon juice you can use white vinegar, works exactly the same. I rarely keep lemons in the house; I never use them up before they go bad so I usually have to use vinegar to make my sour milk.

Katie, can this recipe be cut in two and baked in an 8 x 8 pan? This cake is calling my name but I don't think it would be a good idea to eat a 9 x 13 pan of it.

Sorry, Toots, I just saw this. I've been on the road all day and finally have a chance to sit down.

Yes, it can be cut in half. However, you might want to do what I do. Buck and I can't possibly eat a whole recipe of the cake before it goes bad. I usually make the whole recipe and divide the batter between 2 disposable foil pans. Bake the cakes. Eat one and freeze one. Turns out an 8-inch square foil pan fits perfectly in a large zipper-lock bag. The cake freezes extremely well. Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom