Killer Cheesecake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mudbug

Chef Extraordinaire
I predict that you will rise up and call me blessed when you eat this:

2 cups chocolate wafer crumbs
1/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup butter, melted
three 8-oz packages cream cheese softened
1-1/4 cups sugar
4 large eggs
one 8-oz carton sour cream
1 T vanilla extract
1/4 cup butter
1 cup (6 oz) semisweet choc chips
12-oz jar caramel topping
1 cup chopped toasted pecans

Combine first 3 ingredients, stir well. Firmly press mixture on bottom and 1 inch up sides of lightly greased 9-in springform pan. Bake at 325 for 10 minutes. Cool in pan on wire rack.

Beat chream cheese at medium speed of an electric mixer until creamy; gradually add 1-1/4 cups sugar, beating well. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition and scraping sides and bottom, as needed (this part is impo'tant--mud). Sire in sour cream and vanilla. Pour batter into prepared crust and bake at 325 for 1 hour 5 minutes. The center will not be ocmpletely set. Turn oven off and partially open oven door (I stick a wooden spoon in the door and "close"-mud). Leave cheesecake in oven 1 hour, then remove to wire rack to cool completely. Cover and chill for at least 8 hours. Carefully release from pan and transfer cheesecake to serving plate.

Now for the killer part!

Melt 1/4 cup butter in small heavy saucepan and add chocolate morsels. Stir over low heat just until chocolate melts and mixture blends. Spread warm chocolate over cheesecake and chill 15 minutes.

Combine caramel topping and pecans in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, over medium heat. Boil 2 minutes. Remove from heat and cool 5 minutes. Spread over chocolate, cool completely. Serve immediately, or cover and chill.[/i]

ok-you're on. i'm going to make a couple for my hunters this weekend. if they make a fuss over it like you say i'll give them all your email address so they can send you a compliment.

swoon.gif

sounds good but can i replace gramn crackers with the wafers and add crystalized ginger to the gram crackers crust like mix

masteraznchefjr said:
sounds good but can i replace gramn crackers with the wafers and add crystalized ginger to the gram crackers crust like mix
chefjr:
Yes, you can use graham crackers instead. I would add about a tablespoon of sugar if you do.

I haven't worked much w/crystallized ginger so I can't tell you how it would behave under heat. Go ahead and try it! Does anyone else know?

Cheesecake

That does sound really good! I love malted milk - I think it would be FABULOUS with some MM powder mixed into the filling - yum!

Mudbug,
I just posted my own New York cheesecake but man, this sounds absolutely a gastronomical delight. I am drooling just thinking about it. maybe my ex-dietician was right, I do have a food addiction.

Thank you, WayneT. It's brilliant, isn't it?

This recipe has absolutely spoiled me for any other version. My daughter wants this instead of birthday cake in a few weeks.

I don't think I will wait for my birthday (mightn't see the birthday OR the Killer Cheesecake) he! he!. I am supposed to be on a low GI diet but the medication so far is keeping the tastebuds satisfied without any serious consequences, except for cholesterol that is. Just when I decide to reform you have to come up with this!

OK.......right after I hit send to this post. I'm cutting and pasting your recipe into my online recipe file.

If I hadn't just baked Maple Scones this morning, I might even think about making this today. (Plus my annoying mother in law insisted we take home half of a 20 lb watermelon and I have no room in my fridge. LOL).

Thanks for posting this. It will be my next baking endeavor!

I started buying the ingredients today for making this cheesecake again - have to feed 20 young teens in two weeks, so I will make two for then and a practice one (teaching daughter) beforehand.

masteraznchefjr: regarding graham crackers, I realized when shopping today that those are what I usually use ( the chocolate kind). ignore my tip to add sugar, you probably won't need it. the best ingredient for this part of the recipe is Oreo crumbs - which are sometimes available in stores as just a container of crumbs, but not where I live (actually where you live too).

As requested by WayneT, I will post a pic or two of my efforts in all their glistening glory at the approp time.

dude-
your cheesecake is a killer! i made one for an 82-year-old man's birthday this weekend at the lodge. outstanding and easy to make.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom