If you make this cake, please line the (new, clean) litter box with plastic wrap or foil, and use the scoop for decoration only! Litter boxes, litter box liners, and scoops are NON-FOOD GRADE plastic and can easily contain the following and more:
known endocrine disruptors
(cause major hormone/gland damage)
carcinogens (can cause cancer)
(can cause kidney damage and
interfere with reproductive organs and their development).
The toxins can leach into any foods they contact, but have a real affinity for fats. ANY amount of time food is in contact with unsafe plastics is too long.
We know that small amounts of these toxins can cause long-term health problems that will not be immediately apparent! These poisons are especially harmful to children.
Other dangerous household items that should not touch food are paint buckets, garbage pails and trash bags, contact paper, vinyl gloves meant for painting, film canisters, and metal garbage cans.
Please think twice about putting food in plastics not intended for food. There are very good reasons the manufacturers call these plastics "NON-FOOD GRADE" and the FDA labels them "NOT FOOD SAFE."