Lemon cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
PF, mmmmm meyer lemons you lucky girl! Bet they were delicious! You going to do the lemon bars now too?

Oh yes, absolutely! Lemon bars are next. I still have 1/4 cup of lemon juice and 2 large lemons. I'm thinking, I'll have enough for lemon chiclken, too!

Shrek is upset over having to eat lemon cake for breakfast...I think it's that he wants more. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I love lemony things. Lemon bars are yummy, and both of those cakes looked fabulous!

I do not believe I have ever had a Meyer lemon - just heard rumors about them.

How do they differ from regular lemons?

cmarchibald, I can't comment on the rosemary glaze, but the idea with my glaze is to let it sink into the warm cake. If I were doing that glaze I think I'd poke a ton of holes in the cake and let it sink in that way.
I did note that in the instructions for your glaze, but I guess I wasn't clear on the other glaze, how it was supposed to be used. I think I thought the glaze I was making would be thicker than it was. Next time I'll try it your way. :)

At least it still tastes good!!! :D

I love lemony things. Lemon bars are yummy, and both of those cakes looked fabulous!

I do not believe I have ever had a Meyer lemon - just heard rumors about them.

How do they differ from regular lemons?

Much thinner skin, I had a time zesting them, very tender. The last one I actually squeezed too hard and had juice dripping out while I was getting the last of the zest.

They are sweeter than regular lemons and have a tangerine aftertaste. I was munching on the juiced halves, no puckering. They are a really nice and bright taste. I was wishing I had cut back some of the sugar in the recipe.

I had an interesting thought while finishing the last piece of lemon cake this evening. Wonder if this would work if the glaze might be made with some vodka (or comparable liquor)...a la Rum Cake? Maybe doubling the amount of sugar in the glaze, then original amount of lemon juice and that same amount of liquor? Same could be done by making a lime version of the cake and using tequila??

I don't cook with alcohol so I don't know about blending flavors and such, I just thought it might be an idea for an interesting dessert if anyone wanted to try it.

Last edited:
Wonder if this would work if the glaze might be made with some vodka (or comparable liquor)...a la Rum Cake? Maybe doubling the amount of sugar in the glaze, then original amount of lemon juice and that same amount of liquor? Same could be done by making a lime version of the cake and using tequila??

Don't know, but I like the way you think. :LOL:

OK, I am a little crazy about lemon deserts. Alix's lemon bars and the lemon cake in this thread as two of my all-time favorites.

I made a lemon cake Friday afternoon as I didn't want to face a dessert-free weekend. I was in bed this morning gradually coming to life and pleased with myself that I had awakened to greet yet another day. Rather than sugar plums, thoughts of food drifted through my head.

The drifting came to a stop at the lemon cake. How could I jazz it up? Make it more intense? I recalled all the discussion of glazes, but one of the beauties of this recipe is its simplicity. I didn't want to add another process to the recipe.

Then it hit me. Glazes?! We don't need no stinkin' glazes! The key to simplicity is LEMON CURD!

So tonight I cut myself a piece of lemon cake and microwaved some lemon curd to thin it out and poured all over the piece of cake.

Holy Guacamole, Batman! This is is a lemon explosion! The lemonheads among you really should give this a try.

OK, I am a little crazy about lemon deserts. Alix's lemon bars and the lemon cake in this thread as two of my all-time favorites.

I made a lemon cake Friday afternoon as I didn't want to face a dessert-free weekend. I was in bed this morning gradually coming to life and pleased with myself that I had awakened to greet yet another day. Rather than sugar plums, thoughts of food drifted through my head.

The drifting came to a stop at the lemon cake. How could I jazz it up? Make it more intense? I recalled all the discussion of glazes, but one of the beauties of this recipe is its simplicity. I didn't want to add another process to the recipe.

Then it hit me. Glazes?! We don't need no stinkin' glazes! The key to simplicity is LEMON CURD!

So tonight I cut myself a piece of lemon cake and microwaved some lemon curd to thin it out and poured all over the piece of cake.

Holy Guacamole, Batman! This is is a lemon explosion! The lemonheads among you really should give this a try.

Thanks, just what I needed, another way to inject lemon into my body!:) There is lemon curd in the fridge...and the cupboard. This willbe stopping my love affair with the clementines on my table...:pig:

Question: I made this cake today and doubled the recipe to make a 9x13 inch cake. It seemed like it turned out a bit dry. It didn't seem dry when I made the size called for in the original recipe.

Here are the things I think may have caused it to be dry:

-Maybe I over-beat the sugar/butter
-When doubling a recipe, should I add more butter??
-Adjust flour?

If anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate hearing. The cake still tasted awesome, but did seem dry.

Thanks!

Question: I made this cake today and doubled the recipe to make a 9x13 inch cake. It seemed like it turned out a bit dry. It didn't seem dry when I made the size called for in the original recipe.

-Adjust flour?

If anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate hearing. The cake still tasted awesome, but did seem dry.

Thanks!

In doubling, did you bake it longer? Maybe that is why it is dry, baked too long. Maybe bake it in two layer cake pans. It will bake in a shorted amount of time, then you can fill it with Lemon Curd. Just a thought.:chef:

Last edited:
Thanks, Patty! I actually baked for the original time and was surprised it was done in that amount of time, so I doubt that was the problem. I did, however, bake it in an electric oven this time instead of my gas oven at my house. But I reduced the temp by 25 degrees which is my usual adjustment when going between the two ovens. The electric is a smaller oven inside, maybe that was part of the problem??

-Adjust flour?

Thanks!

I just wanted to note that, in the spirit of research ;) , I tasted the cake again this morning after leaving it wrapped with saran on the counter overnight. I think it tasted more moist this morning.

Put one of these in the oven a few minutes ago. I oopsed and put in baking soda instead of powder. Then I got to thinking and came over to check on this. *facepalm* I tossed in a bit of baking powder, I'll let you know what happens!

Put one of these in the oven a few minutes ago. I oopsed and put in baking soda instead of powder. Then I got to thinking and came over to check on this. *facepalm* I tossed in a bit of baking powder, I'll let you know what happens!

How'd it turn out???

:pig:

Edible, but the crumb was very large. Its half gone so I guess everyone thought it was OK! :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom