"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 02-06-2011, 01:19 PM   #41
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
PF, mmmmm meyer lemons you lucky girl! Bet they were delicious! You going to do the lemon bars now too?
Oh yes, absolutely! Lemon bars are next. I still have 1/4 cup of lemon juice and 2 large lemons. I'm thinking, I'll have enough for lemon chiclken, too!

Shrek is upset over having to eat lemon cake for breakfast...I think it's that he wants more.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:24 PM   #42
Cupcake

I love lemony things. Lemon bars are yummy, and both of those cakes looked fabulous!

I do not believe I have ever had a Meyer lemon - just heard rumors about them.

How do they differ from regular lemons?

Old 02-06-2011, 10:44 PM   #43
Senior Cook

Send a message via Skype™ to cmarchibald
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
cmarchibald, I can't comment on the rosemary glaze, but the idea with my glaze is to let it sink into the warm cake. If I were doing that glaze I think I'd poke a ton of holes in the cake and let it sink in that way.
I did note that in the instructions for your glaze, but I guess I wasn't clear on the other glaze, how it was supposed to be used. I think I thought the glaze I was making would be thicker than it was. Next time I'll try it your way.

At least it still tastes good!!!
Old 02-06-2011, 11:25 PM   #44
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathleenA View Post
I love lemony things. Lemon bars are yummy, and both of those cakes looked fabulous!

I do not believe I have ever had a Meyer lemon - just heard rumors about them.

How do they differ from regular lemons?
Much thinner skin, I had a time zesting them, very tender. The last one I actually squeezed too hard and had juice dripping out while I was getting the last of the zest.

They are sweeter than regular lemons and have a tangerine aftertaste. I was munching on the juiced halves, no puckering. They are a really nice and bright taste. I was wishing I had cut back some of the sugar in the recipe.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:31 AM   #45
Cupcake

YUM!
Old 02-09-2011, 09:19 PM   #46
Senior Cook

I had an interesting thought while finishing the last piece of lemon cake this evening. Wonder if this would work if the glaze might be made with some vodka (or comparable liquor)...a la Rum Cake? Maybe doubling the amount of sugar in the glaze, then original amount of lemon juice and that same amount of liquor? Same could be done by making a lime version of the cake and using tequila??

I don't cook with alcohol so I don't know about blending flavors and such, I just thought it might be an idea for an interesting dessert if anyone wanted to try it.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:41 PM   #47
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieDrews View Post
Wonder if this would work if the glaze might be made with some vodka (or comparable liquor)...a la Rum Cake? Maybe doubling the amount of sugar in the glaze, then original amount of lemon juice and that same amount of liquor? Same could be done by making a lime version of the cake and using tequila??
Don't know, but I like the way you think.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:23 AM   #48
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
Don't know, but I like the way you think.
Booze it up!!
Old 02-19-2011, 10:35 PM   #49
Certified Pretend Chef

OK, I am a little crazy about lemon deserts. Alix's lemon bars and the lemon cake in this thread as two of my all-time favorites.

I made a lemon cake Friday afternoon as I didn't want to face a dessert-free weekend. I was in bed this morning gradually coming to life and pleased with myself that I had awakened to greet yet another day. Rather than sugar plums, thoughts of food drifted through my head.

The drifting came to a stop at the lemon cake. How could I jazz it up? Make it more intense? I recalled all the discussion of glazes, but one of the beauties of this recipe is its simplicity. I didn't want to add another process to the recipe.

Then it hit me. Glazes?! We don't need no stinkin' glazes! The key to simplicity is LEMON CURD!

So tonight I cut myself a piece of lemon cake and microwaved some lemon curd to thin it out and poured all over the piece of cake.

Holy Guacamole, Batman! This is is a lemon explosion! The lemonheads among you really should give this a try.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:45 PM   #50
Executive Chef

What a great idea Andy! That sounds wonderful

Tags
recipe

Lemon cake [FONT="Comic Sans MS"]1/2 cup butter 1 cup sugar 2 eggs 1 1/2 cups flour 1 1/2 tsps baking powder 1/2 cup milk zest of one lemon (2-3tsps) Cream butter and sugar together, beat eggs in one at a time. Sift 1/2 flour, baking powder into the butter/sugar mixture, stir and pour in 1/4 cup of milk, stir til well blended. Repeat with last 1/2 of dry ingredients and then the rest of the milk. Stir in the zest. Pour into an 8x8 cake tin, or a round cake tin. Bake for 35 minutes at 350 or until toothpick comes out clean. 1/4 cup sugar 2 tbsp lemon juice Mix together and pour over warm cake. Turn oven off and let cake sit in oven for about 10 minutes. [/FONT] 3 stars 1 reviews