"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 02-19-2011, 11:04 PM   #51
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
OK, I am a little crazy about lemon deserts. Alix's lemon bars and the lemon cake in this thread as two of my all-time favorites.

I made a lemon cake Friday afternoon as I didn't want to face a dessert-free weekend. I was in bed this morning gradually coming to life and pleased with myself that I had awakened to greet yet another day. Rather than sugar plums, thoughts of food drifted through my head.

The drifting came to a stop at the lemon cake. How could I jazz it up? Make it more intense? I recalled all the discussion of glazes, but one of the beauties of this recipe is its simplicity. I didn't want to add another process to the recipe.

Then it hit me. Glazes?! We don't need no stinkin' glazes! The key to simplicity is LEMON CURD!

So tonight I cut myself a piece of lemon cake and microwaved some lemon curd to thin it out and poured all over the piece of cake.

Holy Guacamole, Batman! This is is a lemon explosion! The lemonheads among you really should give this a try.
Thanks, just what I needed, another way to inject lemon into my body! There is lemon curd in the fridge...and the cupboard. This willbe stopping my love affair with the clementines on my table...

Old 03-05-2011, 11:06 PM   #52
Senior Cook

Question: I made this cake today and doubled the recipe to make a 9x13 inch cake. It seemed like it turned out a bit dry. It didn't seem dry when I made the size called for in the original recipe.

Here are the things I think may have caused it to be dry:

-Maybe I over-beat the sugar/butter
-When doubling a recipe, should I add more butter??
-Adjust flour?

If anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate hearing. The cake still tasted awesome, but did seem dry.

Thanks!

Old 03-05-2011, 11:12 PM   #53
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieDrews View Post
Question: I made this cake today and doubled the recipe to make a 9x13 inch cake. It seemed like it turned out a bit dry. It didn't seem dry when I made the size called for in the original recipe.

-Adjust flour?

If anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate hearing. The cake still tasted awesome, but did seem dry.

Thanks!

In doubling, did you bake it longer? Maybe that is why it is dry, baked too long. Maybe bake it in two layer cake pans. It will bake in a shorted amount of time, then you can fill it with Lemon Curd. Just a thought.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:26 PM   #54
Senior Cook

Thanks, Patty! I actually baked for the original time and was surprised it was done in that amount of time, so I doubt that was the problem. I did, however, bake it in an electric oven this time instead of my gas oven at my house. But I reduced the temp by 25 degrees which is my usual adjustment when going between the two ovens. The electric is a smaller oven inside, maybe that was part of the problem??
Old 03-06-2011, 01:41 PM   #55
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieDrews View Post

-Adjust flour?

Thanks!
I just wanted to note that, in the spirit of research , I tasted the cake again this morning after leaving it wrapped with saran on the counter overnight. I think it tasted more moist this morning.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:41 PM   #56
Everymom

Put one of these in the oven a few minutes ago. I oopsed and put in baking soda instead of powder. Then I got to thinking and came over to check on this. *facepalm* I tossed in a bit of baking powder, I'll let you know what happens!
Old 10-25-2011, 11:42 PM   #57
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Put one of these in the oven a few minutes ago. I oopsed and put in baking soda instead of powder. Then I got to thinking and came over to check on this. *facepalm* I tossed in a bit of baking powder, I'll let you know what happens!
How'd it turn out???

Old 10-26-2011, 10:07 AM   #58
Everymom

Edible, but the crumb was very large. Its half gone so I guess everyone thought it was OK!
Old 10-26-2011, 10:49 AM   #59
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Edible, but the crumb was very large. Its half gone so I guess everyone thought it was OK!
<whispers>

What is it?
Mom's Lemon cake.
But, it's odd.
Just eat it...
Tastes okay.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:43 PM   #60
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:

So it was a crumb cake. That's what you meant to do, right?

Tags
recipe

Lemon cake [FONT="Comic Sans MS"]1/2 cup butter 1 cup sugar 2 eggs 1 1/2 cups flour 1 1/2 tsps baking powder 1/2 cup milk zest of one lemon (2-3tsps) Cream butter and sugar together, beat eggs in one at a time. Sift 1/2 flour, baking powder into the butter/sugar mixture, stir and pour in 1/4 cup of milk, stir til well blended. Repeat with last 1/2 of dry ingredients and then the rest of the milk. Stir in the zest. Pour into an 8x8 cake tin, or a round cake tin. Bake for 35 minutes at 350 or until toothpick comes out clean. 1/4 cup sugar 2 tbsp lemon juice Mix together and pour over warm cake. Turn oven off and let cake sit in oven for about 10 minutes. [/FONT] 3 stars 1 reviews