Lemon cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsps baking powder
1/2 cup milk
zest of one lemon (2-3tsps)

Cream butter and sugar together, beat eggs in one at a time. Sift 1/2 flour, baking powder into the butter/sugar mixture, stir and pour in 1/4 cup of milk, stir til well blended. Repeat with last 1/2 of dry ingredients and then the rest of the milk. Stir in the zest.

Pour into an 8x8 cake tin, or a round cake tin. Bake for 35 minutes at 350 or until toothpick comes out clean.

1/4 cup sugar
2 tbsp lemon juice

Mix together and pour over warm cake. Turn oven off and let cake sit in oven for about 10 minutes.

If you like lemon, you'll like this one. Add more zest though, Andy. I generally add LOTS more zest. I posted my original recipe because not everyone is a lemonhead like me.

Thanks again. I love lemon. Your lemon bars/squares are the best. I'm looking forward to this after we eat all the holiday desserts.

Oh, yum! I'll eat anything lemon. I have a freezer full of talapia to use the juice on. Lemon Monday sounds good!

Alix...you just made me want this but with a little poppyseed mixed in....mmmm....what better way to spend a freezing cold day!

Poppyseeds...mmmmm! I don't think this cake is dense enough for them, but hey, try it and let me know.

Fantastic Lemon Cake!!!

Thanks Alix! I made this cake today and SO and I just had some. I took your advice and used zest from two lemons.

This is a simple to make and delicious cake.

You should all make this.

From now on Alix should be known as the Lemon Lady. She has a magic touch.

when I make Lemon Cake I make an Icing and add fresh finely chopped rosemary to it. It is over the top good and really sets off the lemon.

Your recipe looks great.

What kind of icing? Rosemary is not my favorite herb. I use it sparingly, if at all. That's an interesting idea though, I bet someone around here who is more adventurous than I am will give it a go!

What kind of icing? Rosemary is not my favorite herb. I use it sparingly, if at all. That's an interesting idea though, I bet someone around here who is more adventurous than I am will give it a go!

I hope that adventurous person reports back when she tries it.

Okay, I can't stand it...looks like I'll be makiing lemon cake, if I can find good lemons today, and I'll get some rosemary and give it a try. Here...twist my arm.:LOL:

The icing I use is like a thin glaze and I heat the rosemary with other ingredients and then pour over the cake.I will see if I can find the recipe.I add about 1/2 teaspoon of finely choppped fresh rosemary.

Clear Glaze
Makes appox. half cup

1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon light corn syrup

In heavy saucepan, bring all . to a rapid boil. Remove from heat
and let cool.

or

1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch (corn flour)
1 cup fruit juice (optional flavoring) ****
2 tablespoons corn syrup

Bring the sugar and 1/2 cup juice to a boil.
Dissolve the cornstarch in the remaining juice. Add to the boiling juice and
cook till thick.
Stir in the corn syrup. Bring back to a boil and remove from heat.
cool and drizzle over cake.

Last edited:
drizzle some icing on me and call me alix!

that's what i'm going to call this cake. ;) i'm not a baker, but this one i think i can do.

looks great. copied and saved. thanks senora de la norte.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom