"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 01-05-2008, 03:09 AM   #11
Master Chef

jkath, the link did not work. Your cake looks absolutely yummy. It made my mouth water.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 03:56 PM   #12
Hospitality Queen

Here it is in readable format ;)

Lemon upside-down cake

4 sm.lemons (about 4oz. each)
1 sticks butter, divided
3/4 c light brown sugar
1 c flour
1 tsp. baking powder
tsp. salt
1 vanilla bean, split
3/4 c sugar
2 eggs
c. milk

Slice lemons to make 30 1/8" slices. Then grate 1 tsp. peel from another lemon. Set aside.
Melt 4 Tbsp. butter in a 10" skillet. Brush sides of skillet with a little of the melted butter. Add the brown sugar, stir till moistened & spread into an even layer. Arrange the lemon slices, slightly overlapping, to cover the bottom of the skillet. Set aside.
Heat oven to 350. Combine the flour, baking powder & salt in a bowl; set aside.
Cut the remaining 6 Tbsp butter into a mixing bowl. Scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean with the point of a knife onto the butter. Beat the butter, scraping down the sides of the bowl, until creamy. Add sugar & grated lemon peel & beat till light & fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time.
Add the flour mixture and beat until blended. Add milk & beat till combined. Add remaining flour mixture; beat till blended.
Spread batter over the lemons in the skillet to cover evenly. Bake 30 to 35 minutes, or until the cake is golden and the center tests done. Let the cake stand 5 minutes, then invert the skillet onto a platter. To serve, slice into wedges with a sharp knife.

Old 01-05-2008, 10:06 PM   #13
Master Chef

I can't wait until I find the boxes with my cookbooks!

OK jkath - the thing about scalding the milk - 86 that idea. I was able to find some references to it and Shirley Corriher and apparently it's something to do with yeast leavened breads. Wish I could find my copy of Cookwise to read what she actually said ....

It sounds like you did everything else the right way ....

About the only variable here would be the flour. Shirley discusses the differences in flour in Cookwise - how AP flour from one part of the country, or from comapny to company, can be the difference between cake flour to bread flour!
Old 01-13-2008, 10:50 AM   #14
Head Chef

I made the cake last night, but used brown sugar, since that's what I had. I used meyer lemons for the first time, and I was THRILLED with their flavor! I can't wait to try something else with them now, maybe jkath's pudding cake.

As for the upside down cake, I liked the texture, but I really wanted more lemon flavor inside the cake, rather than concentrated so heavily on the top, with the slices.

It was very easy to bake and flip out, using the cast iron pan!

Thanks for posting it, jkath!

Lee

[URL=http://imageshack.us][/

[URL=http://imageshack.us][/
Old 01-13-2008, 12:32 PM   #15
Hospitality Queen

How pretty! I'm guessing you meant dark brown rather than light brown right? I imagine the flavor was even sweeter on top - yum! Aren't meyers great? I just can't get over how smooth and sweet their rind is.
I think I may try it again this weekend using the swans down. I'll see how that goes with the texture. I'm so glad you enjoyed it, Lee!
Old 01-13-2008, 01:16 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

Hi all. Newbie here. QSis turned me on to this site and I'm drooling my way around for the first time today. Hey QSis - where did you get the Meyer lemons in the Boston area?

BTW - QSis visits us once a year or so for some food and fun. She's smoked up melt-in-your mouth BBQ (the ABT's are addictive), assembled an antipasto fit for an elite Italian wedding, baked up orgasmic chocolate brownies.... then there's the crabapple jelly, green tomato relish, gourmet Italian olives.... the list goes on.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:22 PM   #17
Head Chef

Heyyyyyyyyyyyy Jan! Welcome to DC, Foodie Heaven! You will get, and give, a lot of great ideas from/to this forum!

My brother got meyer lemons in a four-pack from Trader Joe's. I heard that Whole Foods sells them, too. I have another 4-pack to have fun with! They have an orangey flavor, but are just about as sour as lemons.

Thanks for all the kind words, Jan!

jkath, yes, I meant dark brown sugar. The topping was very sweet, but the lemon slices were quite sour. Nice contrast.

Lee

Tags
None