Looking for pineapple upside down cake recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lulu

Head Chef
I have googled and found some on the internet, but does anybody have a TNT recipe they would recommend. I want a fairly deep cake which I am going to cook in the 24cm round tin I bought today. I would far rather make something one of you guys recommend than something random !:)

Hi lulu, I have a recipe, but it's american measurements, so maybe you can find a converter? This cake is tnt and delicious.

Pineapple Upsidedown Cake

1/2 Cup butter
2/3 Cup white sugar (not icing sugar)
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 Cups white all purpose flour
1/3 teaspoon salt
2 eggs, separated
2/3 cup water
3 teaspoons baking powder
1teaspoon vanilla
1 small can of sliced pineapple
marashino cherries

Cream together butter and sugar, add beaten egg yolks and vanilla. Add dry ingredients alternately with milk.

Add beaten egg whites.

In a pan you will bake the cake in ( I used an 8" round coated melted cake pan), melt 1/2 cup of butter, and 3/4 cup of brown sugar. When melted and syrupy, add slices of pineapple in a single layer, then add a cherry to each center of pineapple. Pour on batter, bake at 325 degrees for about 35 minutes or until it springs back to the touch. When done, turn upside down onto a platter.

Pineapple Upside-Down Cake

My mother, who died in 1970, was a renowned baker. She occasionally made a pineapple upside-down cake, which I found among her handwritten recipes. It's undated, but I believe it's from the 1940s. I've copied it exactly, so the instructions are a little vague, as is often the case with old recipes -- you're supposed to know what to do, I guess.

I know the cherries are supposed to be maraschino, and I expect that a "can" of pineapple means one with about 6 or 7 slices. Apparently the egg whites are supposed to be beaten, probably to a medium peak. A moderate oven is 350, I think. I'd let it cool for 10 minutes of so before turning it over.

PINEAPPLE UPSIDE DOWN CAKE

4 Tablespoons Water
1 Cup Brown Sugar
1 Can Sliced Pineapple
Walnuts
Cherries

2 Eggs
1 Cup Sugar
1/3 Cup Water
1 Cup Flour
1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
1 Teaspoon Lemon Extract

Melt butter in skillet. Add Sugar. Cook until smooth.

Drain pineapple, put into skillet. Put walnut meats and cherries in holes and around pineapple.

Beat egg yolks, sugar, add water. Add sifted flour, baking powder, & extract. Fold in egg whites.

Pour batter over pineapple.

Bake in moderate oven.

When done, turn upside-down

Serve with whipped cream.

How nice to have some handwritten recipes by your mother. The recipe I posted above is very similar to your moms, but without the walnuts, and vanilla instead of lemon extract. It really is a delicious cake. Have you tried your mothers recipe yet?

This was my dad's and FIL's favorite cake. Not surprising, as I think Kim's mom and mine both cooked out of the same Betty Crocker Cookbook. Here's the recipe they used:

PINEAPPLE UPSIDE-DOWN CAKE

1/3 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 20 oz. can sliced pineapple (you'll use all but 2 slices)
Maraschino cherries (optional)
2 eggs
2/3 cup sugar
6 T. pineapple juice from can
1 t. vanilla
1 cup sifted flour
1/3 t. baking powder
1/4 t. salt

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
Melt butter in heavy 10" skillet. Sprinkle brown sugar evenly over the top. Arrange drained
pineapple and, if you wish, cherries, in the skillet. Don't be afraid to crowd the slices.
Beat eggs until thick and lemon-colored -- about 5 minutes. Gradually beat in sugar.
Beat in pineapple juice and vanilla.

Sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Add to egg mixture all at once. Mix until smooth.
Pour cake batter over pineapple slices in skillet. Use a spatula to smooth to edges.
Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Use a table knife to run around the edge of the cake between it and the skillet. Allow the cake to sit for 5 minutes before carefully inverting onto cake plate. Put the plate on top of the skillet then flip the whole thing over.

Dad used to like a little vanilla ice cream with his, if the cake was still warm.

Upside Down Cake

UPSIDE DOWN CAKE
For the topping
1 oz melted butter
1 oz brown sugar
8 oz fruit, eg pineapple
Cake mixture
6 oz flour
2 oz semolina
1 ½ ts baking powder
4 oz butter
3 oz caster sugar
¼ ts vanilla
2 eggs
6 ts milk
Melt butter and pour into 7" - 8"" cake tin or oven prooF dish. Arrange fruit and sprinkle with brown sugar.
Cream fat and sugar, add essence. Beat in 1 egg then fold in semolina and flour alternately with the remaining egg and milk. Spread over the fruit. bake pre-heated oven 200oC 15 mins. Then 170oC 45 mins.

Back
Top Bottom