"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 08-11-2005, 06:22 AM   #11
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie Monster
How was it, Ramydan? I am on pins and needles here .
I forgot I didn't have powdered sugar! Got some and baked it this evening, though. Very good, but it's been too long since I've had Entemann's to say whether it tastes the same. The batter was very thick, but I don't think I got it quite as well beaten as I was supposed to - the volume was significantly less than expected and I think that's why. Yummy, though!
I'm trying your recipe next time, Kaylinda. Another nice simple one!
Thank you, everyone, for all the help! I'm sure I'll use many if not all the recipes at some point - pound cake just seems the kind of thing one should keep on hand for unexpected guests, or unexpected perfect peaches!

Old 08-25-2005, 05:52 PM   #12
Head Chef

I bought some fresh Colorado peaches and decided I needed a pound cake to go under them I made this cake this morning. It is really good (and easy)... The recipe comes from a Delta, Colorado Baptist Church cookbook.

7-Up Pound Cake

1/2 cup shortening
1 cup butter
2 1/2 cups sugar
5 eggs
3 cups flour
8 ounces 7-Up
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon butter flavoring

Cream shortening, butter and sugar together. Add eggs. Alternate flour, 7-Up, and flavors while adding into cream mixture and blending. Bake in a greased bundt pan at 325 degrees for one hour and 30 minutes. My note: I'm at an altitude of 8600 feet and used these directions. My cake was done in an hour and five minutes.

callie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 06:42 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Callie,

looks good..I'd have never thought of 7-up...Will give it a try as we have 3 trees loaded with peaches!!!
kadesma
Old 08-25-2005, 07:04 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma
Callie,

looks good..I'd have never thought of 7-up...Will give it a try as we have 3 trees loaded with peaches!!!
kadesma
I read your message so quickly, almost thought you were going to say you had three trees loaded wth 7-up

Callie, thank you. Pound cake & Peaches (or blueberries - & ice cream) sound soooo good. Couldn't resist sharing another heart-pounding (?) pound cake recipe I've had tucked away. (Have another for strawberry pound cake, if anyone would like to give it a try.)

Toasted Pound Cake with Mascarpone and Amaretto
Serving Size : 6
Giada De Laurentiis
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 5 minutes

1 pound cake (10 3/4 ounce), cut crosswise into 12 slices
3/4 cup apricot preserves
3 tablespoons almond flavored liqueur (recommended: Amaretto)
2/3 cup mascarpone cheese
1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Place the pound cake slices on a large heavy baking sheet and toast in oven for 7 to 10 minutes until the slices turn golden brown. Alternatively, toast the pound cake slices in an electric toaster until golden.

Stir the apricot preserves and amaretto in a small bowl to blend. Place 1 cake slice atop each of 6 plates.

Spoon the mascarpone cheese atop the cake slices. Arrange the remaining cake slices offset atop the bottom cake slices. Spoon the apricot mixture over.

Sprinkle with the almonds and serve immediately.

Tags
None