"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 06-14-2007, 09:00 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Looking for whipped icing recipe (like Publix or Ingles whipped icings)?

I'm trying to find a receipe for whipped icing (like Publix or Ingles) uses? I like it better than the original butter cream, as it is not as sweet and it lighter. It's great for the type of decorating that I do and holds up well. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 06-14-2007, 09:27 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Can you be more specific on what you are looking for?

Old 06-15-2007, 01:09 PM   #3
Senior Cook

There is always whipped Ganache... 50% cream to 50% chocolate ganache. Let it cool. Whip in a mixer and spread as an icing....
Old 06-15-2007, 01:20 PM   #4
Executive Chef

I don't know the secret, but can vouch for the fact that it is good. Some friends who had an anniversary party had a huge cake from Publix and I couldn't believe it was a bakery cake. The cake and the frosing were great.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:04 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

I don't know if Publix and Ingles make the whipped icing themselves or buy it in bulk. It almost takes like it has some type of whipped cream in it and not as much sugar as regular butter cream icing. It has the consistency of shaving cream, but a little bit thicker (not much though). It spreads very easily and does not break down like regular butter cream icing.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:18 PM   #6
Senior Cook

I'm wondering if this could be it?

Fluff Frosting Recipe | Frosting Icing and Cake Decorating Recipes @ CDKitchen.com :: it's what's cooking online!
Old 01-05-2014, 12:53 AM   #7
Assistant Cook

Smile Publix Icing

I worked for Publix decorating for over 7 years. If you are looking for a recipe you will not find one that you can duplicate.

The buttercream starts as an icing base that is shipped in from their bakery distribution center. from there ingredients are added and makes 25 lbs of icing. it is then whipped on a smaller mixer by the decorators adding simple syrup and whipping 11 mins until light, fluffy and smooth.

As for the whip cream, you cannot buy the base ingredient as it also is supplied by the distribution center. they do add milk to the whip cream base and beat it until light and fluffy.

the chocolate whip cream comes in liquid form already prepared and just needs to be whipped light and fluffy.

Publix used to make the cream cheese at the local stores about 12 years ago. now it comes prepared and shipped to the stores from the distribution center.

All of the cakes are made at the distribution center and shipped in as needed frozen. That goes for many of the rolls and breads as well. They make some of the breads at the location and others are made, then frozen and shipped in to be thawed and baked as needed.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:44 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Williams-Sonoma has a line of 6 icings that you can whip all by itself, with a stick of butter or half a package of cream cheese. For glazing, mix it with a few tablespoons of milk (for a soft glaze) or water (for a glaze that hardens). It is a very versatile product!
Old 01-05-2014, 10:31 PM   #9
Head Chef

My niece who makes wedding cakes uses a standard butter cream frosting that has one half cup of heavy cream added. I'm not sure whether the cream is whipped before being added to the buttercream or not but it sounds like this would give you the result you are interested in.

Tags
None