LP's Mom's TNT Stuffed Chocolate Cupcakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LPBeier

Certified Cake Maniac
Moderator Emeritus
I will start with the cupcake batter and will have to add the filling when I find it. You can't bake them without it but at least you can see if this is a recipe for you! The filling is cream cheese chocolate chip with a simple but decadent chocolate frosting!

Easy Chocolate Cupcakes
1 egg
1/3 cup cocoa
1/2 cup margarine
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup sour milk or buttermilk
1 tsp soda
1 cup white sugar
1/2 hot (not boiling) water
1/4 tsp salt

Place ingredients in a bowl in the order given. Don't mix until the last item is added. Beat well. Bake at 350 F for 20 minutes.

That looks pretty easy.
BTW, how high to do fill the cupcake? Do they rise at all?

Sorry, my Mom was never one for details when writing down her recipes. She knew what to do so didn't think to write it! I get that way too.

Yes, they make 12 "regular" or "medium" cupcakes and you fill them "evenly" or about 2/3's full. They do rise. They are fine on their own, but I have to find that filling. It really adds something.

Okay, I gave up looking for the rest of the recipe and found it!

Stuffed Chocolate Cupcakes
One batch of chocolate cupcake batter
8 oz brick of cream cheese
1 egg
1/3 cup sugar
1/8 tsp salt
3/4 cup chocolate chips (mini are best)

Mix the cream cheese, egg, sugar and salt together until smooth. Stir in chocolate chips.

Fill paper cup liners 2/3 full with cake batter. Drop filling by large teaspoons into the centre of each cupcake. Bake at 350 F for 25 minutes.

Note: It has been awhile, but there may be enough filling for 24 cupcakes. Don't over fill them with it or it won't set neatly and the cups may overflow.

Decadent Chocolate Frosting:
Mix 1 package (4 serving) chocolate or chocolate fudge pudding mix with 1 1/2 cups whipping cream and 1/4 cup icing sugar in a deep bowl. Set in fridge for a couple of hours to chill. Beat with hand or stand mixer until fluffy.

Pipe or spread over cooled cupcakes.

Last edited by a moderator:
UMMMMMMMMMM what is the baking temp? Slight typo but if someone only copies this it will be a bit confusing. I am thinking 350F?

Last edited by a moderator:
Then when you're done can you put a series of white loops across the top?
Hey, these are NOT Ding Dongs or whatever you call them in the US! Much more sophisticated and healthy! :rolleyes:

UMMMMMMMMMM what is the baking temp? Slight typo but if someone only copies this it will be a bit confusing. I am thinking 350F?

I thank you and have made the change, Ms M!

I was looking over this recipe, getting everything together, and I see it calls for margarine. Can butter be substituted for margarine? I don't know if it makes a difference when baking. I've got "spreadable butter" (butter with canola oil) if that is closer.

For what it is worth...I have successfully swapped butter in place of margarine in many recipes. I actually think butter add a better flavor.

For what it is worth...I have successfully swapped butter in place of margarine in many recipes. I actually think butter add a better flavor.

Did you use regular butter or unsalted? I only have unsalted. I'm not sure if that would make a difference anyway, but I'd hate to mess with this recipe the first time out. I'd also hate to go by margarine if I don't have to :wacko:

Did you use regular butter or unsalted? I only have unsalted. I'm not sure if that would make a difference anyway, but I'd hate to mess with this recipe the first time out. I'd also hate to go by margarine if I don't have to :wacko:
Unsalted is fine just add a pinch of salt to the recipe. I NEVER use margarine. I have done a lot of reading on this subject and most say it is better to use butter. They have the same calories but butter is natural. The process to make the oil used for margarine a solid isn't really healthy. But I guess that is my opinion based on reading and the fact that I prefer a natural product whenever possible (I hate having to use sugar sub but since type 2 I use it).

Thanks for your reply, MsM.
I was doing some reading on this myself this afternoon. I think I'm going to go with the spreadable butter that I have. It contains oil, which margarine has, and it also has salt in it. Maybe that's why Laurie's mom had margarine in the recipe, for the salt and the oil. And since I won't be creaming it... It seems to make sense.

I picked up some buttermilk today (I needed it for Sunday's dinner anyway) and the chocolate fudge pudding mix. I wanted to try these today, but the butter/margarine thing had me stumped until I had time to read up on all the substitution information out there on the WWW, which is way too much :wacko:
Where's the forums bakers when you need them :LOL:

I'm hoping to give this a go tomorrow, but my day is a lot busier, too.
I will keep the thread posted.

I wouldn't go with the spreadable butter! It is likely whipped, so it has some extra air in it.

The unsalted butter would be a much more equal substitute for the margarine. I use butter whenever margarine is called for and have gotten great results. I, like msmofet, prefer to use the more natural products, so I haven't used margarine in years. The only stick margarine (the only kind really suitable for baking) that I have found here that don't contain transfats, and are suitable for baking are more expensive than store brand butter, so I go with butter.

I agree, don't use the spreadable butter, go with the regular unsalted.

Excellent point about it possibly being whipped, bakechef. It doesn't seem whipped, not like whipped cream cheese vs regular cream cheese anyway, but it might be.

Butter it is!

Oh my - this recipe sounds so yummy!!! If I didn't already have cupcakes in my fridge from dinner out last night I'd make this right away. Maybe I'll do it as a treat this weekend when my hubby gets back from hunting :)

Thanks for sharing!!

The recipe says it was TNT and I have to agree :chef:
If I can make these on my first attempt ever at making cupcakes and frosting... and have it come out like this did... you know it's Tried 'N True. I do not know my way around either flour or my oven. Or spreading frosting, as you can see ;) First time for that, too.
Very light and very moist. My only change was to throw some coconut into the frosting.

Thanks for the recipe, Laurie.

Due to circumstances beyond your control, all of the cupcakes did not make it into the photo. :whistling

Attachments

• Cupcakes2.jpg
    Cupcakes2.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 236
pacanis said:
The recipe says it was TNT and I have to agree :chef:
If I can make these on my first attempt ever at making cupcakes and frosting... and have it come out like this did... you know it's Tried 'N True. I do not know my way around either flour or my oven. Or spreading frosting, as you can see ;) First time for that, too.
Very light and very moist. My only change was to throw some coconut into the frosting.

Thanks for the recipe, Laurie.

Due to circumstances beyond your control, all of the cupcakes did not make it into the photo. :whistling

Oh my. You done good, Pac! They look great! And I would bet the coconut added that extra sumpin sumpin.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom