Luther Burbank Cake Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angie

Head Chef
Luther Burbank, the famous horticulturist, was a relative of mine. He is famous for the Shasta daisy and over 800 different varieties of plants. Arbor Day is named after him.

http://ci.santa-rosa.ca.us/default.aspx?PageId=708

Here is a cake of his that one first prize at the 1981 Sonoma County Fair in California. It is an original honoring Luther Burbank's success with potatoes, prunes, and walnuts.

1 1/2 C dried prunes
1 C mashed potatoes
1/2 C oil
2 C sugar
1 tsp vanilla
3 eggs
2 C flour
1 1/4 tsp soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp allspice
1 C walnuts, chopped

Simmer prunes until tender, drain. Reserve 1/2 cup liquid. Pit and chop prunes. Beat oil, sugar and vanilla until well mixed. Add eggs one at a time, Add potatoes and mix well. Mix dry ingredients together and add alternately with prune liquid. Add prunes and nuts. Pour into greased and flours 9 x 13 pan. Bake at 350* for 50 minutes or until done.

Cool and frost with cream cheese frosting.

Frosting
2 C powdered sugar
1 - 8 oz pkg cream cheese
4 T butter
2 tsp vanilla

Sift sugar into a bowl. Add cream cheese, butter, and vanilla. Beat until smooth and creamy.

Angie ~ Thanks for sharing the recipe for Luther Burbank Cake. I will definitely give it a try -- it sounds like a recipe my grandmother used to make called Fruit and Nut Cake with dried prunes and apricots as well as lots of walnuts. It did not, however, include mashed potatoes. I have visited Burbank's home and gardens -- his work with plants was remarkable! Thanks, again, for the recipe!

Angie, I have never heard of a cake made with mashed potatoes before. I will have to make this cake to see what this taste like. The recipe really sounds good and I always love cream cheese frosting. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks, Angie. This sounds interesting! How were you related to Luther Burbank? When DH and I vacationed in CA a couple years ago we passed the Luther Burbank gardens in Sonoma--they looked amazing but we didn't have time to stop:( .

PA Baker said:
Thanks, Angie. This sounds interesting! How were you related to Luther Burbank? When DH and I vacationed in CA a couple years ago we passed the Luther Burbank gardens in Sonoma--they looked amazing but we didn't have time to stop:( .

I'm not sure the direct line, but I know he comes from my mom's mom's side.

Boy, did this trigger a childhood memory for me. Used to read all kinds of biographies of famous people when they were kids. Usually the last couple of chapters were about their adult lives.

I remember reading about Luther Burbank.

Back
Top Bottom