"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes
Old 08-15-2006, 12:02 AM   #1
Assistant Cook
Making a big cake!

I'm making a large slab cake for my mum's birthday, and wondering how i go about changing cooking time/temperature......Im used to making small round cakes! Any advice would be much appreciated

Bridgett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 05:24 PM   #2
Executive Chef
I think it would help if you could define 'large slab cake' a little better, lol! What size is the actual pan? What is your cake recipe? Are you doubling/tripling the recipe?

marmalady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 05:42 PM   #3
Assistant Cook
It's just a normal chocolate cake recipe --

125g butter
3/4 cup castor sugar
2 eggs
1 cup sr flour
3/4 cup plain flour
1/3 cup coco
1/2 tsp bi-carb
1/2 cup milk

I think ill triple it?
The pan will be about 30 cm square.
Old 08-19-2006, 08:30 PM   #4
Chocolate Cake With Whipped Chocolate Frosting

1 ½ cups cocoa (150g)
1 ½ cups boiling water
500 g butter
4 ½ cups caster sugar (1kg)
2 teaspoons vanilla
8 eggs
4 cups self-raising flour
1 cup flour (150g)
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
2 ½ cups buttermilk (625ml)
300 g dark chocolate, chopped
200 g milk chocolate, chopped
180 g butter, chopped
2 teaspoons oil
Preheat the oven to moderately slow (160°C/140°C fan-forced). Whisk cocoa and boiling water in a medium bowl until smooth; cool. Grease a deep 30cm square cake pan. Line the base and sides with two layers of baking paper, extending the paper 5cm above the edge of the pan. Beat the butter, sugar and vanilla in a large bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating until just combined between additions. Transfer butter mixture to a very large bowl. Stir in combined sifted flours and soda, and the buttermilk in three batches until well combined. Stir in the cocoa mixture, mix well. Spread mixture into the prepared pan and bake in a moderately slow oven for 1½ hours or until cooked when tested. Cool cake in pan for 20 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool. Spread Whipped Chocolate Frosting mixture over the top and sides of the cooled cake.
WHIPPED CHOCOLATE FROSTING: Place both chocolates and butter in a medium heatproof bowl, stir over a pan of simmering water until chocolate and butter melts. Stir in the oil. Refrigerate chocolate mixture until thick. Beat chocolate mixture with an electric mixer for about 3 minutes.
Un-iced cake suitable to freeze.
Whipped Chocolate Frosting suitable to microwave.

Australian Woman's Weekly web-site
auzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 07:28 PM   #5
Assistant Cook
Thank you very much. Looks good - and Womens Weekly Recipes are usually pretty reliable. Thanks again!
Old 08-20-2006, 08:57 PM   #6
Head Chef
The depth of the cake will make the difference. If it is not as deep as normal, you won't have to bake it as long. I use the same temperature for my sheet cakes as I do my deeper cakes though.

You can close your eyes to the things you do not want to see, but you can't close your heart to the things you do not want to feel.
KAYLINDA is offline   Reply With Quote